Macro algae reactor DIY!!

CoralShop

Sponsor
Reaction score
Having some issues with algae growth in my tanks, trying out the latest "fad" solution. DIYed this for just over $200 all in. A fraction of even the cheapest production mode ($450) which is internal and must be placed in sump as such.

I'll post the links to each product later today :)

25bd7492a134b61255bed415aa52425b.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0dec79c1b30e2c166a026b1cb0a0096b.jpg
alt="" />
3e659671d56e22aadf28b82e524f03c5.jpg
alt="" />

An update for anyone who may come across this thread :)

Bcavalli;1114656 wrote: Looks great! What are you using to feed the reactor?

This is being fed by the main return pump via a line split!

Chaeto is growing like mad!

Looks pretty good. I've been trying to figure out how to DIY something like that out of stuff I've already got, including some of those LEDs.

Danh;1114706 wrote: Looks pretty good. I've been trying to figure out how to DIY something like that out of stuff I've already got, including some of those LEDs.

This was very easy to do, I just wrapped the LEDs around the housing and used large zip ties to hold it on. Well worth it, algae in tanks has reduced substantially and I am able to feed more heavily now.

Is that coralline? the light looks pretty blue, do you think white led's would accelerate your growth?

Bcavalli;1115284 wrote: The leds I installed on my reactor are 5 (reds) to every 1 (blue).

Same here. All of my research indicated red/blu (heavy red) was optimal.

Also, the coralline algae is quite prolific in my reactor likely due to my consistently high c/alk measurements. I plan to run vinegar through this this every couple of months and scrub off any algae obscuring the chamber body transparency.

What's the advantage of running an algae reactor over a refugium that is growing the same algae?

Sooj;1115306 wrote: What's the advantage of running an algae reactor over a refugium that is growing the same algae?

It appears to grow substantially faster in the reactor than in the refugium and I am running both at the moment.
Also, it is isolated, external and much easier to deal with :up:

renoeb;1115364 wrote: it appears to grow substantially faster in the reactor than in the refugium and i am running both at the moment.
Also, it is isolated, external and much easier to deal with :up:

+1

It will also help keep pieces of the macro algae out of the DT.

Once I find the time I'm going to post the info on a diy ATS I made recently. After just over 3 weeks in use it's doing amazingly well. Both sides of the plastic canvas are completely covered in gha.

I run both the refugium + ATS with great results. A lot less water change. May just give my extra external reactor a try and see how it grows compare to the refugium. Need to order some new phosphate+ nitrate reagents for my Hanna tester so I can compare results. Things have been so crazy busy these days.

I ran a scrubber previously but prefer this method or nutrient removal for neatness and efficiency.

77fce76417ec1eb608e1e7ed87d8e1a5.jpg
alt="" />

Not too bad for one months growth

I know it's an old thread but wanted to know how your setup is doing. I made something similar with a PM reactor lying around. I used the same LEDs but didn't attach them to the reactor itself. Saw some people on other forums saying the heat from them caused stress fractures on the acrylic. I cut some cardboard that covers the reactor and attached the lights to it. If this experiment goes well, I'll probably get some 6" PVC pipe and mount the lights to it. My tank is new (running for about a month now) and the nitrates were at around 5 a week and half ago. I added the reactor shortly after and after a week its down to 0. Havent tested phosphates yet but will once my test kit arrives. Not sure if this reduction is due to the reactor or just a fluctuation of a new tank. @renoeb

My only issue with my chaeto reactor is that it is kind of tedious to unhook everything, take it apart, and pull out the chaeto. I have a hard enough time pulling chaeto out of my refugiums... as such the reactor I have on my QT tank never gets emptied... lol.

Back