Maples 45 gallon tech tank

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
Picked up my "new" (to me) 45 Gallon Oceanic Tech tank Saturday morning from a good friend of mine who starts his new job in Oakland CA, as a air traffic controller on the 16th of this month. He wasn't going to attempt to move the system across country, so he made me such a great price, I simply couldn't say no. For lighting, it has a Aqua Illumination LED module and the controller with upgraded 70 degree optics to help get a better spread of the light. For flow, the tank has a vortech MP40w which IMO, is WAY too much but since I am mainly going to be keeping SPS's, I will keep it as it is. I sold him my Elos NS1000 skimmer when i tore my 90 gallon tank down and once again, it's way overkill for the tank. But, when the itch comes to upgrade, I will have a great starting point for equipment. It came with two brand new buckets of Salinity salt, RODI unit with new filters, BRS two part media, reactors, pumps, test kits, food, etc.... (some pictures I took from his build thread on Reef central.)
25q87tc.jpg
alt="" />
14czoxx.jpg
alt="" />
2ps229w.jpg
alt="" />
28a2blt.jpg
alt="" />
svqjir.jpg
alt="" />
2ikttw3.jpg
alt="" />
29ntixz.jpg
alt="" />
(female wrasse)
do5ds4.jpg
alt="" />
(male wrasse)
1z1s740.jpg
alt="" />
25zqi5i.jpg
alt="" />
35jhvnb.jpg
alt="" />
(Upgrading the optics)
2mpdfs2.jpg
alt="" />
am5kcx.jpg
alt="" />
Got this on the way:
5oxc7a.jpg
alt="" />

Here is a video he made to demonstrate the lightning storms.
<div class="gc_ifarem_title">YouTube - Thunderstorm by GHL Profilux 3 and AI LED's</div><iframe style="width: 70%; height: 400px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f12fVpkSAW4"></iframe>

Nice acquisition, congratulations. Any changes planned or just leave it be? other than thee gorgeous acan...

Sweet set up! How do you like the LED's? I am thinking about putting them on my new tank also, but that are so dang expensive!

Great looking tank!!

Just curious.....do you know if he's going to be working in the Center or Norcal approach?

The thunderstorm is just too cool. Can't wait to see the vortech interface along with it. :up:

Awesome looking tank, that is a really nice setup! That 40 gallon tall tech tank is perfect!

rjrgroup;610306 wrote: Nice acquisition, congratulations. Any changes planned or just leave it be? other than thee gorgeous acan...
Well, I really am happy with everything on the tank as it is. I am definitely going to be buying APEX for it soon. I'm trying to make everything run without me having to have my hands in the tank. I'll be looking into a CA reactor too. For now, I will continue dosing. I'd really like to make this a full blown SPS reef with a few LPS as well. I'm afraid the BTA's may have to go before long. :(
bdesper311;610456 wrote: Sweet set up! How do you like the LED's? I am thinking about putting them on my new tank also, but that are so dang expensive!
I LOVE the LED's. I was always a T5 man but I love looking at that shimmer that they give. Now I know why MH guys make all that fuss. The lights cause absolutely no increase in heat.
tgriffin;610491 wrote: Great looking tank!!

Just curious.....do you know if he's going to be working in the Center or Norcal approach?
Thank you. I have no idea on that one. I just know he's going to Oakland.

I'm thinking about adding a clam to the tank. I have absolutely no experience with them, however. Would my tank be too small for a little clam?

Nope! I had one in my seven gallon for a bit. Just make sure it gets enough light and <u>levels stay stable</u> and he should do fine.

I think I have the light part covered. Perhaps I will monitor the tank levels closely for a few weeks before buying a clam. Thanks for the info.

mapleredta;611489 wrote: I think I have the light part covered. Perhaps I will monitor the tank levels closely for a few weeks before buying a clam. Thanks for the info.

Be aware that the clam will take up alot of your Calcium needs from your setup and you will most likely have to dose more just to keep your current Calcium level at your current level.

ICEMAN832;611526 wrote: Be aware that the clam will take up alot of your Calcium needs from your setup and you will most likely have to dose more just to keep your current Calcium level at your current level.
Yeah, I am aware of such. I'm actually toying around with getting a CA reactor in the near future.

mapleredta;611555 wrote: Yeah, I am aware of such. I'm actually toying around with getting a CA reactor in the near future.

Good deal. I would def go with a CA reactor on your setup. Although you could do a two part drip as well and it would be much cheaper...Ill have a video up here soon of my Moorish Idol.....

Back