Mark/Chris Tank Build

Magnificent guys, now I know where Chris has been spending all of his time. Great craftsmenship Chris and excellent taste Mark. WAY TO GO.

Now lets see some coral and fish.

WOW...That just may be the coolest setup I have seen to date. I love symmetry, and this really shows some hard work, skill, and dedication. I hope you enjoy this for many many many years to come.

Thank guys,

Yeah, symmetry is huge for me as well. My whole house. My wife loves things different. I love them the same. Thats why one fish tank turned into two. Crazy. Chris has done an amazing job! WE are really just tweaking everything now and finishing some of the details and external systems such as ro plumbing, auto top offs, controllers, etc... I couldnt be happier. Well, maybe if my tank looked like some of the vets.

Kayak, Ive been reading your posts for a while. Your system looks great. As do many of the members. Mine starting up, I hope to be there in the not too distant future. I do have millions of questions though so I will be sure to post them. I have gotten tons of valuable info from this club. As well as aready met some really cool people.

Heres a few pics.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
437460=21049-IMG_2769.jpg
>
437460=21049-IMG_2769.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2769.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
437460=21048-IMG_2770.jpg
>
437460=21048-IMG_2770.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2770.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

That looks so nice! It even got the song "Smooth Operator" stuck in my head

Chris mentioned this build once when I was at fishscales, I think he was actually just leaving to work on it. Must I say that this is an awesome set up you have

Chris helped me out when getting started in the hobby as well and without his help and ARC, I'd be in trouble..

Everyone be safe tonight!! Be careful on the roads.

Just got done finishing ALOT of work with Chris!!

Sorry Julie!!

Before I start the heavy adult beverage consumption, heres the progress through today. Thanks everyone for all the advice. Im going to need tons more.

Happy New Year - Mark
fieldset>

Well the construction portion of the project is nearing an end and the tank has cycled and we actually have some inhabitants. I am attaching a few pics. I was fortunate enough to be invited to Davids, (I think he had 13 tanks) and was blown away. Wow is all I can say. That was one of the most impressive things I had ever seen and David is incredible and very generous.

Only tweaking, details, and some minor plumbing left to go. I can not tell you how much I appreciate all the hard work, sweat, and time Chris (Fishscales) has put into this project. The pictures and my comments in the forum really do not do it or the job he has done justice. I have tried to help as much as possible along the way, but Chris has really taken this on as his own and been an unbelievable mentor and friend throughout this process.

For anyone that may be searching the web that is new to the hobby I would definetly recommend first joining this club, as it is a fountain of information and full of experienced members that will bend over backwards to share their knowledge in a moments notice. And secondly, find a mentor and someone as passionate about the hobby such as Chris who will ensure that you are given all the tools, information, and guidance to be as successful as possible. The craftsmanship he has put into my project has been incredible and I appreciate it every day.

Thanks everyone - Here are a few pics of the first real inhabitants and one of the refugium and controller.
fieldset>

i dont even want to think of how much that cost!! just when i thought my tank was looking good - then i looked at your pics. OMG - great job man...so jealous right now

Thanks. Yes, the left tank is a mixed reef and the right is a FOWLR. In time both may become reefs. I'm trying this out for now. Depending on calcium comsumption I may also be adding a reactor as the system matures.

This looks great! Very unique. Is there any concern of heating the tanks when the fire place is in use?

Thanks. The fireplace is fully insulated. No heat escapes behind the insert. I was 100 percent concerned about this as well. Prior to the start I cut the wall out behind the fireplace and crossed my fingers. Luckily there is no heat issue that will be an issue for the water flow. Thankfully.

Looks Great Mark... I love the idea of two tanks on either side of the fireplace.

James, your system was one of the ones that I looked at daily throughout the build that motivated me to finally pull the trigger. It is awesome and you did a great job. I hope I can get my reef and livestock to look half as good as yours.

Fish Scales2;436436 wrote:

Cheato, calurpa, shaving brush, mermaid fan and red gracilaria macros in the sump

Today we seeded the sump with a culture of Subtropical Harpacticoid sp. Copepods

I need this stuff for my refugium Chris, Can you PM me what it would cost me for enough macros to seed a 60 gallon refugium?

MarkO22;442017 wrote: James, your system was one of the ones that I looked at daily throughout the build that motivated me to finally pull the trigger. It is awesome and you did a great job. I hope I can get my reef and livestock to look half as good as yours.

Thanks Mark. You should come to the Tour of Tanks on the 30th if your schedule permits, you can check out the tank for yourself.

Refugium side really cleaned up - I think Chris hid about 30 cords successfully. Nice work bud!! Sump side almost there. Pic of that as well. And then a few of the tanks. Reef and the FOWLR.

Finishing some of the RO buildout and mixing area in the basement tomorrow. I envy you guys with fish or coral rooms. That would be great sometime in the future, but not sure if I can get the Mrs to buy off on her office becoming one.
fieldset>

Really did not take long to pass the diatom bloom.

A Pair of Heniochus diphreutes, these fish are eating prepared foods and behaving well, soposedly reef safe but we put them in the FOWLR anyhow.

Mark, I forgot to clean the glass on the sump and fuge. I thought you might need something to do tonite. LOL

Chris

Back