Meeting Etiquette

skriz

Reaction score
As you all know, this month's meeting (tomorrow) is being hosted by Creation Reef & Aquatics in Woodstock. This is one of our sponsor stores who is staying open late to accomodate us. They are rearranging their space and keeping staff on hand for the club, which is A LOT to ask for. A big kudos is due to Matt and his staff (except Steve) for really coming through for the membership. :up:

Although buying/selling coral is encouraged at our meetings, this month's meeting is at a sponsor store. It would be extremely disrespectful to conduct business in their place of business. I urge everyone to be respectful of our sponsor and not buy/sell your items at this meeting. Afterall, Creation will have plenty in stock for us to purchase. Word is they are going to be running some specials for us also.

This will be a very interactive presentation by Gary. He has flown in to show us how to take better pictures of our tanks and livestock. Let's show him some respect by giving him a quiet and attentive audience during his presentation.

Remember to bring your cameras, lenses, tripods and wallets..this is going to be a great meeting!

We are lucky to have someone as talented and knowledgeable as Gary for our meeting. He is a great guy who has been instrumental in my quest to take better pictures.

Thanks to Creation for hosting the meeting as well.

Joe

I hate this! I am stuck working up in Indiana and you guys are going to have a GREAT meeting at one of my favorite LFS and a super speaker to boot! Life is unfair! :D Have a great time...wish I could be there too.

BZ

I'm not going to be able to make it, but a BIG thanks goes out to Creation (everyone except for Steve). Sorry man, just tryin to fit in. ;)

Thanks to those who helped set this up as well.

This probably should have been publicized when the meeting was first announced not the night before. IMHO of course.

dyer_maker;368612 wrote: This probably should have been publicized when the meeting was first announced not the night before. IMHO of course.

No offense, but it is rather common sense. A courtesy reminder was issued by Raj, and complaining about the timing of it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the people who organize tehse events.

If you have arranged to buy, sell, or tarde from anotehr member at this meeting, please do so outside, in the parking lot, not it the store.

That etiquette applies to any meeting at *any* store.

Thanks for posting the reminder :)

Jenn

JennM;368619 wrote: That etiquette applies to any meeting at *any* store.

Thanks for posting the reminder :)

Jenn

Agreed, as I just PM'ed someone who I respect very much- I would no more see this as appropriate, as I would walking into a resteraunt, and expecting them to let me bring my own food, or cook my own meal.

Not trying to belittle or intimidate anyone, but it would be a poor insult to the establishment to do so.

jmaneyapanda;368616 wrote: No offense, but it is rather common sense. A courtesy reminder was issued by Raj, and complaining about the timing of it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the people who organize tehse events.

If you have arranged to buy, sell, or tarde from anotehr member at this meeting, please do so outside, in the parking lot, not it the store.

It's an observation rather than a complaint. If it warrants being said why wait until the night before when the message may not be well received or seen by many. It doesn't hurt to remind people well in advance so that they can establish an alternative meeting place to conduct trades, hand of items that were purchased in advance, etc. It's 2009, common sense died years ago. I'm looking forward to the meeting, it will be the first one I've ever attended.

This rule of etiquette has always been in effect (well at least since the second ever meeting when somebody was trying to hand out price lists for his store in a host store!)...

Common sense would be that it's understood and wouldn't need to be reiterated that it's in bad taste to buy and sell wares under the roof of an establishment that is in business to do the same, and offering up a venue for a club, on their own time and expense.

It's the fastest way to alienate a sponsor - to use their shop as a trading post.

It *should* go without saying - but a reminder the night before or day of seems more than appropriate to me. Perhaps some sort of sticky should be posted in the meeting announcement section or a blurb attached to every meeting announcement?

Jenn

JennM;368631 wrote: It *should* go without saying - but a reminder the night before or day of seems more than appropriate to me. Perhaps some sort of sticky should be posted in the meeting announcement section or a blurb attached to every meeting announcement?

Jenn

It's apparent here the Internet makes things easily misconstrued. A reminder a night or two before is appropriate, I'm not disagreeing with that. If it's a followup to a permanent reminder it makes it that much more effective.

Forum rules seem like common sense to me but they're posted for all to view. Regardless people still get banned and kicked off forums everyday. Meeting etiquette is in the same ballpark in my opinion. You could still have someone show up with a table and a "For Sale" sign but they won't be able to play the ignorance card if it's posted for everyone to see all the time.

That's a fair statement.

Perhaps a "site suggestion" is in order for this...

I guess it doesn't come up very often as it doesn't seem that most meetings are held in stores anymore. At one time most meetings were (or in people's homes) and in those days it was a given.

Jenn

I think part of the issue here is in the wording of the original post. I read it to mean do not even bring things to trade in the parking lot as one sentence says not to do buying selling "at this meeting". I would always agree that transactions inside a place of business are inconsiderate. Just my .02 on how I read the original post.

Darren

Oh please.............this is just common sense courtesy. If the meeting is held at a restaurant, can I still bring my bottle of wine in? It is what it is, too late now, anyway, stop whining.

Back