New Tunze

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
for you vortech freaks who say that a tunze doesn't have a battery back up, their new tunze model has a feature that lets it connect to a car batter and is cheaper than a vortechs back-up.

go all the way to the bottom
merchant.mvc

Interesting...

My current "backup" plan consists of a few Optima marine batteries I have coupled with an 800watt power inverter, but this seems easier...

Meh.

Anything can be run off a battery. You just have to know how.

Besides, those in the list with the exception of the 6105 are more expensive than a MP40W and still dont include a controller.

Meh.

Now that I think about it, isnt the Vortec BB just an overpriced inverter? I cant remeber, but I think it still requires a battery for power. Eitehr way, it is possible with any setup if it is desired. Check out the RC TOTMs to see some hefty BB setups.

if i am not mistaken it has a quick connect for it. btw, all the new turbelles have this feature, including cheaper ones.

im gonna be getting a 6025 or 6045 soon, cant wait just gotta sell my lights and get new ones.

Derek_S;291248 wrote: Now that I think about it, isnt the Vortec BB just an overpriced inverter? I cant remeber, but I think it still requires a battery for power. Eitehr way, it is possible with any setup if it is desired. Check out the RC TOTMs to see some hefty BB setups.

The Icecap battery backups are completes- inverter, float, batteries, everything. You just plug in the pump.

With the Tunze adapter, you can keep adding batteries. I got two of the small 12 volts ones for battery back up and have two more big batteries in garage. Seems like with the additional batteries, it would last longer that the small Vortech battery. Heard some horrors with the hurricane knocked out power in the Texas area as the Vortechs did not last very long and they needed power for well over a week. Batteries could be taken somewhere are recharged.

That is a good point. I have vortecs, but if I was engineering a power contingency, I would not use the BB, but instead an inverter with a series of batteries. You could also use a small generator and a charger to replenish the batteries if needed.

Actually the Vortecs can run off of 12 and 24VDC, so they could probably be run directly off of a stable 12v source.

For my back up I just copied the design that the Profeesor used on Gilligans Island to power the radio.

It really only works though if Giligan is here to ride the bicycle!

I was gonna bit I kept making coctails out of the coconuts. Dang alchoholism...

Derek_S;291491 wrote: That is a good point. I have vortecs, but if I was engineering a power contingency, I would not use the BB, but instead an inverter with a series of batteries. You could also use a small generator and a charger to replenish the batteries if needed.

Actually the Vortecs can run off of 12 and 24VDC, so they could probably be run directly off of a stable 12v source.

The Icecap BB can also be "daisy chained" to make a continual run of batteries too. For me, the simplicity and "out of box conveniency" of it makes it worthwhile. I would hate to create an alternative 12V system for the vortec, only to have it fry the curcuit board, and flush $400 down the drain on the pump.

Exactly, that is why I mention a 'stable' 12v source. I dont know if batteries are notorius for V spikes, but I do know they can run at varying V depending on charge. I assume you would need to purchase/engineer some type of diode rectifier/regulator to limit any noise in the V to protect the boards. But of course you would have to know how and be willing to risk an accident. I will have to look at the Vortec BB again. I cant remeber if the price is ok, but it would be the way to go if reasonable.

Its not cheap (usually like 160), but you might be,lucky to find a "used" one for less. I know Jesse just sold his for like 80.

The thing about it is that both the 12 and 24 volt lines need to be attached to the driver at all times. I dont know how the driver determines which source to use, or if the battery backup plays a role in that. Also, the battery backups "float" themselves to preserve charge, and are reasonably small (compared to two marine cycle batteries).

Well, enough from me, Im sounding like a saleman now. Obviously, you can see where my interest lays.

I see, and I am glad you are sharing a personal experience with it. i have not researched it much since I like living on the edge with no power contingency plan at all, but I might consider it. My stand is so packed full of equipment, I thought I'd never have room for anything. My CA reactor is already remoted in the closet, running through the walls (of an apartment :( ) But if they are small enough, maybe I can slide one more thing in there.

The trick is getting it to start when the power is out, and you are not home. I'm sure it can be done, assuming you keep fuel in it. Any ideas? That would be a cool setup. It would have to be an elec start gen and kept in really good service, I would guess.

Derek_S;291499 wrote: I dont know if batteries are notorius for V spikes, but I do know they can run at varying V depending on charge.

Batteries can be considered a very stable power supply source. You will get different voltages depending on charge, but you won't get a spike. It's related to the chemical reaction between the ions in the solution- they generate a 1.2v potential (or 3.6v for lithium), which is why most batteries come in multiples of 1.2v. Since the potential is only 1.2v, you simple won't get a spike.

Also- the Tunze battery backup requires anything from 10-18v, IIRC, so there's no reason to really even worry about it. I have no idea about the vortecs.

Back