New Tunze

ares;291590 wrote: thats a bit trickier, mostly because you not only need it to start, but you need something to switch the input on your pumps. a bit easier if your home to do it all yourself, but I see how that could be a concern.

you can make it happen, just going to cost a good bit more

Nah- about $5 in parts for the tunze models. I've already got what's needed sitting here on my desk and haven't gotten around to hooking it up. Essentially just a rely and a battery.

Youll need a transfer switch to do that, and that is a spicy meatball. They detect current from the incoming power lines, and switch to the generator (and sometimes start the generator) in the event of power failure. But for systems like these (usually whole house systems), you're talking big bucks. I run both the battery backup, and have a small generator, so, in the event of power loss, I can go 36 hours-ish on the batteries, until I can get to the system, and then start the generator. Total cost, about $500.

mojo;291591 wrote: Nah- about $5 in parts for the tunze models. I've already got what's needed sitting here on my desk and haven't gotten around to hooking it up. Essentially just a rely and a battery.

Wait, I am misunderstanding. What are we talking about?

Chris,
I think ares was referring to getting a gas generator to start, not a battery backup.
Dave

jmaneyapanda;291594 wrote: Wait, I am misunderstanding. What are we talking about?

I'm just talking about a battery backup for the Tuzne. The newer Tunzes have a "port" for a 12v battery. So what you end up with is a relay that operates on 120v, controlled by house voltage. When the relay is energized (house power on), power flows the normal way, and the battery isn't allowed to power the tunze. When the house power goes off, the relay closes, and the battery powers the tunze. $5 relay and a car battery = several days of tunze goodness.

Acroholic;291595 wrote: Chris,
I think ares was referring to getting a gas generator to start, not a battery backup.
Dave

Ah - it was hard to tell, since the start of the thread was talking about battery backup, and ares wasn't specific - I read it as switching over your powerheads to be on battery backup.

If you're looking to keep your critters alive through a power outage, all you need is a few powerheads. If you're looking to keep everything running, then yes, you'll need a standby generator with an auto transfer switch- you're looking about about $2000 minimum for that kind of setup.

Ace of Spades;291599 wrote: Can anyone help me hook my a UPS?

See I've got this:
http://www.server-rack-online.com/pw5115-750.html">http://www.server-rack-online.com/pw5115-750.html</a>

Well 2 of them.

My question is, it has 4 power out plugs. Would it be better to run 4 pig tails off, or just run one and plug my PH's into the one?

Is there a difference in power consumption between have 4 plugs vs 1 on this thing?[/QUOTE]

Powerheads pull so little power that you'd be fine using a power strip plugged into the UPS. Just do a test beforehand with your powerheads- it doesn't appear that that UPS generates a pure sine wave, which will cause your PHs to chatter...

mojo;291597 wrote: I'm just talking about a battery backup for the Tuzne. The newer Tunzes have a "port" for a 12v battery. So what you end up with is a relay that operates on 120v, controlled by house voltage. When the relay is energized (house power on), power flows the normal way, and the battery isn't allowed to power the tunze. When the house power goes off, the relay closes, and the battery powers the tunze. $5 relay and a car battery = several days of tunze goodness.
that port is what i was trying to say.

Back