Newbie setup - 29 gal Biocube and 90 gallon bowfront

After a few days of zero nitrates and my cleanup crew going strong, I put 2 very small clowns and a shrimp in the tank a few hours ago. The clowns stuck together for a while but are now at opposite corners of the tanks staying withing an inch of the tank bottom. They appear to be swimming pretty hard. I moved my return and circulating pump around to reduce the vortex effect I had going in the tank. One clown changed corners, but otherwise both resumed the frantic swimming pace within an inch of the bottom corners of the tank. Is this normal or do I need to change something up?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Clown fish are still swimming hard next to the bottom corners. As a measure of caution, I checked the water parameters..

Ph...8.21 (recently recalibrated my meter and checked with ph tests)
Temp...78
Salinity...1.024
Ammonia....0
Nitrates....0

Give them time, they will warm up and venture out more.

I added a pair of clowns to a new tank a little over a week ago. They did the same thing. Yesterday was the first night I thought they acted normal.

Yeah - I just added a pair of maroons that are like 3/4" and there is a lot of flow in my tank and they were getting blown around a day or so, but now they are good. I think they just wasn't use to having any flow compared to sitting at a fish store.

JBDreefs;1067142 wrote: Give them time, they will warm up and venture out more.

I added a pair of clowns to a new tank a little over a week ago. They did the same thing. Yesterday was the first night I thought they acted normal.
Thanks. They are swimming about mid depth now, just on opposite sides of the tank.

HELP.....My return pump will not restart after turning it of for feeding this morning. Ironically, while at the lfs last night I almost bouht a second pump as a backup. Will the two clowns, fire shrimp, 5 hermits, and 10 snails be ok with the circulation pump until this afternoon or do I need to be at the lfs when they open to buy a new pump?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SaltWaterWannabe;1067163 wrote: HELP.....My return pump will not restart after turning it of for feeding this morning. Ironically, while at the lfs last night I almost bouht a second pump as a backup. Will the two clowns, fire shrimp, 5 hermits, and 10 snails be ok with the circulation pump until this afternoon or do I need to be at the lfs when they open to buy a new pump?

I pulled the pump out andit started working. I will be pickimg up a backup today, but is it normal for pumps not to restart then start after pulling them out pf the return?

I have been told that it is normal for pumps not to re-start and that a few taps on the side of the casing to get pumps started is normal. Is this true and should I replace a main return pump if it ever does not start right away?

Sometimes some debris can get in there and jam things up a bit. It usually isn't major. When I run across one that is jammed, I'll try to rotate the impeller manually and then plug it back in. That works for me nearly every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brick Fish House;1067307 wrote: Sometimes some debris can get in there and jam things up a bit. It usually isn't major. When I run across one that is jammed, I'll try to rotate the impeller manually and then plug it back in. That works for me nearly every time.

Thanks. Maybe I will wait on buying a backup or replacement for a few weeks.

Is the jamming something that occurs only with worn out pumps or is it common no matter how old the pump is?

SaltWaterWannabe;1067331 wrote: Thanks. Maybe I will wait on buying a backup or replacement for a few weeks.

Is the jamming something that occurs only with worn out pumps or is it common no matter how old the pump is?

Bump

I've seen it more with older pumps...Not necessarily worn, though. I've seen newer pumps get it, too, but not as often.

Anyone know what this spot is that turned up on my 6 line wrasse I have had since Friday? I just saw this today.
1068140=66011-uploadfromtaptalk1453158139345.jpg
>
1068140=66011-uploadfromtaptalk1453158139345.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1453158139345.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

I need help identifying please. I do not know if this is an injury, ick, or something else. This is the first fish injury or sickness I have had. Any help is appreciated.

The spot is round with uneven and depressed skin. About a quarter of the outer edge has a faint whiteness along the edge. I am attachibg more pics , although they are blurry. If nobody responds, I will break out the good camera this evening.

I do not have a dedicated qt setup yet and cannot really buy one atm without infuriating the boss.

Any help is appreciated.

1068213=66013-uploadfromtaptalk1453211411092.jpg
>
1068213=66013-uploadfromtaptalk1453211411092.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1453211411092.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1068213=66014-uploadfromtaptalk1453211417566.jpg
>
1068213=66014-uploadfromtaptalk1453211417566.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1453211417566.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1068213=66015-uploadfromtaptalk1453211423849.jpg
>
1068213=66015-uploadfromtaptalk1453211423849.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1453211423849.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1068213=66016-uploadfromtaptalk1453211430150.jpg
>
1068213=66016-uploadfromtaptalk1453211430150.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1453211430150.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Hi there - sorry I'm just now seeing this.

1 - It's not normal for a return pump to not come back on after being turned off for feeding. Does the pump have any sort of filter on it's intake? If something is getting stuck in the impeller, this would be a fix. If it does have a filter of some sort, it definitely shouldn't be getting stuck. Is it new? I know this tank is fairly new, I would look at getting a refund.

2 - There are a few issues that can cause a sunken abdomen. Is the fish eating well (attacking food for at least 30 seconds when you feed)? I want to say that another cause of sunken abdomen is fish tuberculosis, but that's pretty rare and your fish seems otherwise healthy. I would start by trying to get it to eat more. If hunger is an issue, soak the food in some garlic guard for 20 minutes before you feed him.

If hunger isn't the problem - it's probably some sort of parasite. I dont have a recommended parasite treatment, but any of the LFS should be able to recommend one to you if you describe the problem.

For the pump issue, if you haven't already, I would recommend disassembling the pump and giving it a good cleaning. in my experience, pumps build up a sludge/slime/calcium deposits/whatever around the magnet and housing. This build up decreases the pumps performance and could lead to startup problems.

Crew;1068235 wrote: Hi there - sorry I'm just now seeing this.

1 - It's not normal for a return pump to not come back on after being turned off for feeding. Does the pump have any sort of filter on it's intake? If something is getting stuck in the impeller, this would be a fix. If it does have a filter of some sort, it definitely shouldn't be getting stuck. Is it new? I know this tank is fairly new, I would look at getting a refund.

2 - There are a few issues that can cause a sunken abdomen. Is the fish eating well (attacking food for at least 30 seconds when you feed)? I want to say that another cause of sunken abdomen is fish tuberculosis, but that's pretty rare and your fish seems otherwise healthy. I would start by trying to get it to eat more. If hunger is an issue, soak the food in some garlic guard for 20 minutes before you feed him.

If hunger isn't the problem - it's probably some sort of parasite. I dont have a recommended parasite treatment, but any of the LFS should be able to recommend one to you if you describe the problem.
Thaks for responding.

1. The pump used. I use filter floss before my biofilter, then the pump returns water to the display. I guess I can put some floss between the biofilter and the pump.

2. The fish eats well so I guess i will assume it is a parasite for now. The fish also does not appear to be stressed, other than being the newest tank resident in a recently established tank(2 weeks). I am going to see about setting up a small qt tonight. I was given a small biowheel a few years ago that is stilll in the box. Am I able to use any container that will support a small biowheel and just do regular water changes?

SaltWaterWannabe;1068269 wrote: Thaks for responding.

1. The pump used. I use filter floss before my biofilter, then the pump returns water to the display. I guess I can put some floss between the biofilter and the pump.

2. The fish eats well so I guess i will assume it is a parasite for now. The fish also does not appear to be stressed, other than being the newest tank resident in a recently established tank(2 weeks). I am going to see about setting up a small qt tonight. I was given a small biowheel a few years ago that is stilll in the box. Am I able to use any container that will support a small biowheel and just do regular water changes?

59 dollars later and I now have a 10 gallon qt hospital tank. Dosed it with Kanaplex and hoping for the best. I need to learn on cheap fish I guess, so not all bad. This is my education tank after all....

It is looking like both my saltwater and freshwater tank inhabitants are getting restless. I think one of my clowns was eaten by a shrimp or has burried himself on the rocks. The cichlids in my other tank are havibg an all out war...never seen the cichlids fight this way...

Back