Newbie setup - 29 gal Biocube and 90 gallon bowfront

hzheng33;1086995 wrote: keep an eye out for the angel, it may nip on corals.
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten that and the lfs did not mention it. I have been told in the past that cherubs are normally reef safe but to watch them to be sure

I plan to begin transitioning fish from my qt to dt in a few weeks, starting with the goby or blenny since they were the first in the qt. The plan is to move one fish every 2 weeks so I do not spike the biolad. The cherub angel will be in qt for a while since he is the only one that should be mildly aggressive and was the last purchase. The cherub gets added to the tank last.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a few encrusting corals and some GSP that have engulfed the plugs but not moved onto the rocks. How do I encourage these to expand beyond the plug?

SaltWaterWannabe;1087401 wrote: I have a few encrusting corals and some GSP that have engulfed the plugs but not moved onto the rocks. How do I encourage these to expand beyond the plug?

This may be elementary to most, but I have not yet found anything explaining this and I have not seen any indication the corals will grow beyond the plug top / sides as of yet. I have seen several tank pics showing corals grown well beyond a plug top. Does anyone have any suggestions?

SaltWaterWannabe;1087692 wrote: This may be elementary to most, but I have not yet found anything explaining this and I have not seen any indication the corals will grow beyond the plug top / sides as of yet. I have seen several tank pics showing corals grown well beyond a plug top. Does anyone have any suggestions?
nope. let nature run its course. some say it's the current. some say it's the light. when the coral wants to grow horizontally /vertically, there's nothing you can do in my opinion that can change its course

will do. I plan to start moving fish from qt to the dt tonight. 2 tonight then 1 each week unless I see ammonia or nitrates.. Tonight's move plan is the algae blenny and diamond goby. I will see if they nip at or knock over the corals I have resting on the sand bed. If they do knock the corals over, I will fasten them to the rocks. I was planning to wait to attach the corrals until setting up a larger tank. I put too much rock in the tank to add more with the coral.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SaltWaterWannabe;1087692 wrote: This may be elementary to most, but I have not yet found anything explaining this and I have not seen any indication the corals will grow beyond the plug top / sides as of yet. I have seen several tank pics showing corals grown well beyond a plug top. Does anyone have any suggestions?

hzheng33;1087694 wrote: nope. let nature run its course. some say it's the current. some say it's the light. when the coral wants to grow horizontally /vertically, there's nothing you can do in my opinion that can change its course

+1

Some people will remove the coral from the plugs as well.

SaltWaterWannabe;1087860 wrote: Not sure why, but my tablet will not post anymore...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Strange....it posted that time.

Within 30 seconds of dropping 2 more peppermints in my tank yesterday, all 3 were eatting aptasia! I went on an aptasia mission for 90 minutes since my 3 peppermints slowed down their feast and the tank was covered in small aptasia. Hopefully they can keep up now.

Only one coral seemed affected by the new fish so far...and it was completely covered. I would say the goby was targetting this coral for some reason. I went to cut the stem from the plug and noticed the coral was a little lose, so a little pressure and voila, it popped off the plug undamaged. It is sitting in a low spot in a rock for now unattached.

SaltWaterWannabe;1087862 wrote: Within 30 seconds of dropping 2 more peppermints in my tank yesterday, all 3 were eatting aptasia! I went on an aptasia mission for 90 minutes since my 3 peppermints slowed down their feast and the tank was covered in small aptasia. Hopefully they can keep up now.

This reply has been reposted in a more appropriate forum and can be deleted if it does not affect the rest of the thread.

Back