Newbie setup - 29 gal Biocube and 90 gallon bowfront

I assumed longer acclimation was better but the longer time was more than needed. I will go with 15 float and hour drip next time. Either way, I cannot imagine the longer transition caused problems.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hzheng33;1086621 wrote: take my advice with a grain of salt. for fish or inverts, I usually float the bag for 15min and follow by 1 hr of drip, maybe a bit longer for inverts. 4 hrs is just a bit much in my opinion
Thanks for the advice, you seem to be the only member that consistently gives input when I ask.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

With the last fish I qt'd, I soaked brime shrimp in supplements for feeding. Simce these two fish are herbivors, should I be soaking seaweed or anything special for the goby and blenny besides pelets?

SaltWaterWannabe;1086737 wrote: With the last fish I qt'd, I soaked brime shrimp in supplements for feeding. Simce these two fish are herbivors, should I be soaking seaweed or anything special for the goby and blenny besides pelets?

you can. but I don't. I don't think most reefers do either.

SaltWaterWannabe;1086777 wrote: So far they are not eating pellets. How long till I should be concerned?

id give it a few days before getting worried. they probably just havent developed a taste for the pellets yet. if they dont eat for another 3-4 days then give them brine shrimp. you could also try thawing the brine shrimp and letting the pellets soak with them for a while so they pick up the flavor.

none of my fish would eat pellets at the start. All started off on mysis, brine, and my personal seafood mix. Also, it helps to do the first feed of the day pellets as they are more hungry, overtime, most of my fish has accepted pellets... except my leopard wrasse...still won't touch it

SaltWaterWannabe;1086777 wrote: So far they are not eating pellets. How long till I should be concerned?

That's because Hui sits there and monitors ARC religiously, lol... then when he responds, probably most people figure its an acceptable answer so no need to reiterate what he said

SaltWaterWannabe;1086625 wrote: Thanks for the advice, you seem to be the only member that consistently gives input when I ask.

civics14;1086788 wrote: That's because Hui sits there and monitors ARC religiously, lol... then when he responds, probably most people figure its an acceptable answer so no need to reiterate what he said
That is exactly what I thought and did not intend to imply any lack of input by others. There are so many ways to handle our tanks. It is actually nice having a singular opinion as I learn the basics rather than dozens of opinions that contradict but are all correct

I picked up a cherub angel, royal gamma and 2 peppermint shrimps tonight to add to my qt. I lost one peppermint before getting home, so I am guessing a full term qt is warranted for the living peppermint. I have them all acclimating together now. Is there any merrit in putting the shrimp in a seperate qt so it can be a shorter time?

I do not have a filter for a second qt yet, so I am guessing the answer is no....but I thought it woukd be good to ask.

hzheng33;1086933 wrote: as a matter of fact, you can qt all the fish you want to, some people also qt new corals, but I don't know a single person who qt shrimps, snails, hermit crabs/crabs.
The shrimp is in my dt. As expected, it went straight for the rocks and disapeared. Hopefully I will see the shrimp again and alot less baby aptasia.

I never qt my snails or coral, but thus far they were always in a tank seperated from fish

SaltWaterWannabe;1086931 wrote: I picked up a cherub angel, royal gamma and 2 peppermint shrimps tonight to add to my qt. I lost one peppermint before getting home, so I am guessing a full term qt is warranted for the living peppermint. I have them all acclimating together now. Is there any merrit in putting the shrimp in a seperate qt so it can be a shorter time?

I do not have a filter for a second qt yet, so I am guessing the answer is no....but I thought it woukd be good to ask.

umm..we looked at a cherub angel but got a damsel instead. sorry for the wrong post.

nope. wife was picking out fish and stopped when she saw the price if the cherub...lol

And we decided to pickup a cherub angel today afterall. It looks like I may now have one too many fish for my biocube 29 so I will need to get working on the 90 again

Back