Newbie setup - 29 gal Biocube and 90 gallon bowfront

yes it's true that meter is more accurate than certain test kit. however, in your case, it's not needed as long as you keep the pH relatively stable. pH meter is more crucial when using calcium reactor, which doesn't fit your situation.

Unfortunately, I can not match up the color chart betwen 7.8 and 8.8 so I am basically ph blind i guess. I need to read more accurately

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i still do not believe you need the pH meter. assuming you're not adding any rocks are will change the pH swing.

every time you visit a lfs, take your sample water and have them do the pH test. record the results each time. then you're set to go. no need to invest money into something that you're not going use extensively, unless you just have the cash and want to spend the money.

SaltWaterWannabe;1071818 wrote: How often should water be tested?

not sure in your case but I haven't test my water for pH, ammonia, phosphate, nitrate, nitrite for the last year. once things stabilize, you really don't have to test your water in my experience. others might think differently.

It looks like March 3rd is when I can safely use my main tank again for anything other than inverts and coral. That will be 6 weeks after the last fish died in it so it should be clear of tomonts and theronts. If my qt works, I could pickup some fish this weekend and let them sit in qt for a couple of weeks while the main tank continues fishless. Is it plausible to put fish in my qt without a functioning biofilter or should I wait until I can pull media from my main tank to use as the biofilter?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

SaltWaterWannabe;1073111 wrote: It looks like March 3rd is when I can safely use my main tank again for anything other than inverts and coral. That will be 6 weeks after the last fish died in it so it should be clear of tomonts and theronts. If my qt works, I could pickup some fish this weekend and let them sit in qt for a couple of weeks while the main tank continues fishless. Is it plausible to put fish in my qt without a functioning biofilter or should I wait until I can pull media from my main tank to use as the biofilter?

These would be small, ie less than an inch long and I an do up to 50 percent water changes every few days for the next 2 weeks while waiting on my main tank.

SaltWaterWannabe;1073111 wrote: It looks like March 3rd is when I can safely use my main tank again for anything other than inverts and coral. That will be 6 weeks after the last fish died in it so it should be clear of tomonts and theronts. If my qt works, I could pickup some fish this weekend and let them sit in qt for a couple of weeks while the main tank continues fishless. Is it plausible to put fish in my qt without a functioning biofilter or should I wait until I can pull media from my main tank to use as the biofilter?

People set up QT tanks all the time without establishing a bio filter first. However this certainly isn't the best practice (my opinion!). In these cases, people will try to address the ammonia cycle with things like prime or some other ammonia reducer/detoxifier.

If I were in your shoes and wanted to qt some fish now, I would find some one running matrix in your area and offer to buy them some new matrix in exchange for some of their "old" matrix. Then you put the old matrix in a media bag and drop it into a HOB filter on the QT tank.

Good luck!

Not that I need to be thinking about lights just yet, but I am learning....other than rule of thumb, how do you tell when a night needs replacement? Is there something akin to a test?

A year is the longest I have heard yet, which sounds great and realy makes me think more about t5s. Being an engineer and a bit of a geek, I am interested if there is some scientific method to assessing the quality of light a bulb produces as it ages. I have read a variety of factors affecting the quality of bulb life such as fans for cooling and ballast selection - likely just extra non necessary knowledge, but it does interest me.

Ok...just thinking again here....what is the minimum I need for a frag tank? Tank, heater, pump, water? Do I need filtration?

Yep, particularly ifthe 180comes through. But that will leave me with an extra tank

I think you rushing too much. Take it slow. We started around the same time... I started in November and I just added 3rd and 4th fish. Add 2 clowns and give it a month.

Thanks, all input is welcomed. I did not think it was too fast with such small fish, but I will plan to take it slower this time...you do after al have fish and I do not:)

The last fish was not swimming normally at the lfs and I never asked to see any of the fish fed. At the lfs, the last fish was partly drifting and stayed partly bowed on the side that ultimately showed a hole later. I am pretty sure the last fish was already sick and it made the other two sick. Either that or I did not acclimate properly....both could have led to their demise.

I have a qt set up now that is ready with an acclimator setup, low salinity, paraguard, and meds on standby. The tanks have been without fish for 6 weeks to ensure no ich remnants could survive and i scrubbed the qt with vinegar. I think I am ready this time:)

The only part I am unsure of atm is the use of paraguard. I keep hearing to use prazipro which appears to be the same treatment and use as paraguard. I am debating on buying some prazipro but it sounds like the same treatment by different manufacturers. Does anyone have thoughts on paraguard vs prazipro?

thought of your tank when browsing R2R.

should be very helpful to you.
medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574

Thanks again. After teviewing the labels more closely, and hearing how many people say prazipro, I am picking up prazipro. I orderred some prazipro and selcon. Next order will be metroplex. I am hoping to avoid copper, but I may order some as well. I did not make it to the lfs for fish this weekenx and it looks like next weekend at the earliest.

Back