Newbie setup - 29 gal Biocube and 90 gallon bowfront

Dumb question....isnt garlic guard just garlic powder and water? If so, it sure seems easier, and already available in my cupboard, to make my own?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Clowning around again...picked up 2 and getting ready to aclimate...sslloowwllllyy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is the slow aclimation setup...I am taking the aclimation very slow....I figure tomorrow morning I will move them to the qt
dc2066168b97cbf0c066aa7d876c76e9.jpg
alt="" />

Can someone identify this?
I picked these guys up yesterday, aclimated and now they are in my QT. I am charging my SLR, so no grand pics yet, but these are not bad. The white part of their skin has black rough looking spots. One of their mouths appears to have a white growth on the right side inside its mouth, but it is hard to see in person and harder in the pic. Hopefully I can get some clearer pics once m6 slr charges, but any help in the meantime wod be useful.
1fc5459d5b2a43024122cba2ad84e098.jpg
alt="" />
4a2d959837883205cc3c7120dc0de89c.jpg
alt="" />
638dab502df008516eea5849c299cb4a.jpg
alt="" />

The one clown still has a growth or damage inside one side of its mouth. There is a red area and line that forms around that side of his jaw that darkens and lessens throughout the day. Both issues seem to slowly be improving and it does not hinder him from eating in any way that I can see. He was eating loaded shrimp (garlicguard and selcon) but the other healthy looking clown was not eating so I tried micropellets. Both clowns eat the micropellets but now neither will eat shrimp.

I have finished 4 days of of Prazipro, followed 6 days of Kanoplex with daily one hour dips in Paraguard and 50 percent water changes every other day just before redosing. I have run the max time for Kanoplex and am debating my next step.

At this point, I am thinking the one clown has an injury from fighting or netting, but I am not sure. Both seem to twitch from time to time, but I do not know if it is socialization or pain. I received and added Seachem Stress Guard today since the label says it is an antiseptic that can be used with all meds but copper. I would love to see the one clown mouth get better.

Unfortunately my photography skills still leave room for improvement and I have not been able to process any pics clearly showing the injury. I guess I will be buying a lens extender for my T4i soon. Are there recomendations to go with a new med, stick with prazipro, or pickup a new med?

The clowns had a bout of constipation that cleared up. I moved them to the biocube today and they look quite happy.

I am preparing to setup my 90 bowfront and decided the seals were looking rather jagged. I have shaved the silicone off all corners of the main portion of the tank except the top frame and inside the overflow. My next step is to clean and buff the glass with cerium oxide then tape and reseal with black silicone to match the rest of the tank.

If I left the remaining silicone in place, the only place new silicone would touch old silicone would be the top 5 corners (2 along the outside of the overflow, 2 front corners, and 1 opposite back corner)at the top frame of the tank. Do I need to cut out the overflow to get to the glass corner inside then reset the overflow? Also, do I need to cut and reseal the inside top edge under the top frame?

SaltWaterWannabe;1081896 wrote: I am preparing to setup my 90 bowfront and decided the seals were looking rather jagged. I have shaved the silicone off all corners of the main portion of the tank except the top frame and inside the overflow. My next step is to clean and buff the glass with cerium oxide then tape and reseal with black silicone to match the rest of the tank.

If I left the remaining silicone in place, the only place new silicone would touch old silicone would be the top 5 corners (2 along the outside of the overflow, 2 front corners, and 1 opposite back corner)at the top frame of the tank. Do I need to cut out the overflow to get to the glass corner inside then reset the overflow? Also, do I need to cut and reseal the inside top edge under the top frame?

Btw, the seals inside the overflow look fine. I suspect a prior owner damaged the other seals while cleaning with a razor or the like.

I am thinking of finally replacing the bulbs in my biocube since I have no idea how old they are having bought it used from a fowlr owner. My led actnic strip lights the tank up well at night so I am not sure if I should replace the actnic bulb with a 10k or an actnic. Do actnics provide any benefit to coral growth or are they just or show?

I picked up a few fish for qt tonight. I figure the qt will be lengthy, so I picked up all but one remaining fish for the biocube. In the qt are a diamond goby, firefish, and algae blenny. Do I need to add a container of live sand from my main tank for the diamond goby, or will he be fine with a bare bottom?

hzheng33;1086518 wrote: bare bottom is fine. the only one time you want sand is wrasse and maybe some other fish. but diamond goby is fine without sand.
thanks

well...firefish lasted less than 24 hours. I am hopefull it is due to his jumping in the sink when I transferred him last night. I had bucket in one hand and cocer i the other but was not fast enough to deter his jump. I could not scoop or pick him up easily so he was out for a couple of minutes on the damp sink bottom.

If a small fish does manage to jump to a solid surface, what is the best way to pick him up?

I will have a card or similar handy next time.

I am guessing that the goby and blenny need more time to grow comfortable with their surroundings since they are just lying around on the tank bottom and only occassionally moving to other sections of tank to lay around some more. Is that normal for these two fish?

SaltWaterWannabe;1086617 wrote: I will have a card or similar handy next time.

I am guessing that the goby and blenny need more time to grow comfortable with their surroundings since they are just lying around on the tank bottom and only occassionally moving to other sections of tank to lay around some more. Is that normal for these two fish?

I drip aclimated with 4 x tank water over 4 hours, dipping about half of the water out twice along the way so I am reasonably sure they are not overly stressed by changing water params.

Back