Reef safe Ick medication

On another note, that kinda looks like lymph to me, do the spots appear to be underneath the skin, or dangling on the outside? If it is the latter i'd suspect this may actually be lymph, a viral infection often mistaken for ick.

Patrick214, I have no hard feelings and I'm cool!!! Dealing with problems within reef tanks can be extremely challenging and quite costly. We all know the purpose of this board is for people too share there knowledge an experiences. I always respect everyone opinions and suggestions and quite frankly, I'm impressed with the knowledge on this board. It's kind of like turning to Mother Teressa for assistance. Thanks and I'll shut up now.

Good Luck Mojo with curing your problem.

Mojo are the spots embedded under the skin? cause that really looks like lmyph to me, the spots are a little large for ick and appear to be on the outside. maybe im an idiot, but if it is lymph the metro will likely be useless.

No - they're not embedded, which had me confused as well. At first, it looked as if the fish picked up something along the rocks, and it was just stuck on the skin. On closer inspection (as close as I can get to a moving fish), it looks like it might be a small worm or other tiny parasite that's latched on to the fish. It's certainly not a blister or anything under the skin - it all looks superficial to me.

Does anyone have any info on lymph (as I start searching on google...)?

mojo;131483 wrote: No - they're not embedded, which had me confused as well. At first, it looked as if the fish picked up something along the rocks, and it was just stuck on the skin. On closer inspection (as close as I can get to a moving fish), it looks like it might be a small worm or other tiny parasite that's latched on to the fish. It's certainly not a blister or anything under the skin - it all looks superficial to me.

Does anyone have any info on lymph (as I start searching on google...)?

That is not lymphocystis. Lymphocystis is a viral infection that typically grows along the edges of the fins (dorsal, caudal, pectoral, etc) and possibly along the gill plate and mout. It rarely, if ever would grow in the center of the body as such. Even if it were Lympho (which is not), there is no treatment, cure, or negative side effects (aside from possibly growing so large along the mouth it impeded the fish from eating). To equate them to a human problem, they are like warts- no medical concern just unsightly.

By the way Chris, I have some medicated pellet by Jungle that has Mteronidazole, praziquantel, and levamisole in it. You're more than welcome to it. This would treat any internal porotozoans, worms, or flukes, all in one. But I really do think this is juts standard old fashioned ick.

I agree, it is not Lymph...

I have tested good things with the Jungel medicated food. I would choose that over trying to dose metronidanzole myself. Too hard to see how much the fish is consuming, if any at all. IMHO, Metronidanzole is not proven to work anyways. Internal Protozoans, yes great, but with external you are likely not going to get enough of the meds into the fish to make a difference.

Well, can anyone tell me where to get this Jungle medicated food locally? Jeremey, I'd come get it from you if you didn't live in another state...

Not local:

prod_display.cfm

Ick does not dangle on the outside of the fish like that, even if they were adult parasites trying to hop off the fish, they would never be that large, and there would clearly be some embedded under the skin. It may not be lymph but it isnt ick either. To me a viral infection doesnt seem that implausible given new fish were added recently. Holding facilities can be breeding grounds for these kinds of things, and new fish can often bring many of these things in with them.

Patrick214;131755 wrote: Ick does not dangle on the outside of the fish like that, even if they were adult parasites trying to hop off the fish, they would never be that large, and there would clearly be some embedded under the skin. It may not be lymph but it isnt ick either. To me a viral infection doesnt seem that implausible given new fish were added recently. Holding facilities can be breeding grounds for these kinds of things, and new fish can often bring many of these things in with them.

We will have to agree to disagree. I have seen SO many cases of ick that I know this is ick. It is very frequently that large, especially on a scaleless fish like a tang. But, to be honest, right now, we both just "think" niether of us "know".

Mojo- I can bring it to the meeting, if you cant your hands on it befroe then. Let me know.

Ouch - DFS wants $30 for next day shipping... on $20 worth of food. Anyone know where I can get some of this locally?

mojo;131817 wrote: Ouch - DFS wants $30 for next day shipping... on $20 worth of food. Anyone know where I can get some of this locally?

heck, I can bring it to work, and you can come pick it up if you want.

I will forwarn you, though, my fish dont usually like they taste of it. mteronidazole tastes like spoiled poo. (or so ive been told).

jmaneyapanda;131820 wrote: heck, I can bring it to work, and you can come pick it up if you want.

I might do that...

jmaneyapanda;131821 wrote: I will forwarn you, though, my fish dont usually like they taste of it. mteronidazole tastes like spoiled poo. (or so ive been told).

I've been heavily, heavily soaking my nori in it over the past two days. They recommend one spoonful (about 5grams) per 10g; I'm adding 2 spoonfuls to ~20mL of water, adding a few drops of garlic, and letting a half sheet of nori soak for several hours. The tangs don't seem to mind - I guess the garlic hides the taste....

reef1973;131822 wrote: Chris, I'd used Kick-Ick when I first started in this hobby. I spent about $450.00 for a several weeks supply to treat my tank. It was a waste of money. I've been using UV after that bad experience and never have an Ick outbreak ever since.

Thanks. I've given up on the Kick-Ick... I don't want to destroy the rest of my tank. I love my tangs, but I also love the 10,000 other things in there. I might try seeing if I can get the PBT out of there if he slows down. So far, his behavior is unchanged...

Here's a couple pics from just a few mins ago - sorry for the poor quality.

Note the dorsal fin of the PBT... it looks like the skin is sloughing off or something. I've included a picture of the fins of my YT and a shot of my naso.

Any new diagnosis?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
131843=8069-IMG_0315.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
131843=8069-IMG_0315.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0315.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
131843=8070-IMG_0318.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
131843=8070-IMG_0318.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0318.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
131843=8071-IMG_0320.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
131843=8071-IMG_0320.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0320.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
131843=8072-IMG_0323.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
131843=8072-IMG_0323.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0323.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

that sure looks like ich to me chris put in some cleaners shrimp and add a couple of neon gobies

mojo;131843 wrote: Here's a couple pics from just a few mins ago - sorry for the poor quality.

Note the dorsal fin of the PBT... it looks like the skin is sloughing off or something. I've included a picture of the fins of my YT and a shot of my naso.

Any new diagnosis?

It looks like they are sliming excessively to try to rid themselves of the pest. But, I am just kinda spit-balling. It i tough to say. Brookynella often cuase large areas to "slough", but with the salt grains from earlier, I ahve a hard time believeing that is not just straight forwrad ick. When all is said and done, you may want to consider removing the fish for treatment.

In reagrds to cleaners, they will likely not eat the parasite, and certainly wont be a cure, but they will put the fish more at ease, which will allow a speedier ercovery, so I would agree with it to that point.

I added two fire shrimp yesterday. I don't know if they fall under the same "cleaner shrimp" category, but they were on the list anyway, so I figured I'd add them now.

Here's one more picture, with a different lens, cropped, and enhanced. It's about the best I can do with a shy fish...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
131855=8073-IMG_0332.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
131855=8073-IMG_0332.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0332.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

mojo;131855 wrote: I added two fire shrimp yesterday. I don't know if they fall under the same "cleaner shrimp" category, but they were on the list anyway, so I figured I'd add them now.

Here's one more picture, with a different lens, cropped, and enhanced. It's about the best I can do with a shy fish...

To be honest, that just looks like an area where a ick cyst has "ruptured". Often time the color of the tissue will get pale in the Pock areas too. Lots of good diet, clean water, and I think youll be ok. I would suggest some skunk cleaners too. They seem to be more attentive to cleaning than the blood in my experience. And if the fish are sliming like that, they will have a field day. But thats up to you.

Back