Reef safe Ick medication

Cameron;136928 wrote: This is old style advice to me and has not been very effective in any of the cases of ick I have heard people fight off.

As for leaving the tank fallow, I still think ick lives in an egg state until some biological function of a fish triggers it to hatch. Maybe stirring up the bottom is that trigger, but I think ick is much harder to get rid of than that.

How many people do you know who have tried it? Whatever i did in my case it seemed to work, your right i cant distinguish whether that was what actually helped solve my problem or not i just thought id share my experience given our situations were fairly similar. My tang looked like he was about to die, he became emaciated and i did the wc's along w/ beta glucan and metro and it seemed to work.

As far as the rest of anthonys answer and his recommendation to leave the tank fallow, i agree with you cameron but i attached the entire answer for reference, but i wouldnt discount the wc's, they seemed more effective than many of the other treatments i tried, including doing nothing.

Cameron;136925 wrote: Fish do well in lower temps (usually closer to their own temp, oxygen is higher)

I may give it a try - it's not going to hurt anything. However, I should inform you that fish are cold-blooded, so by definition, the water will always be their own temp... ;)

Patrick214;137030 wrote: How many people do you know who have tried it? Whatever i did in my case it seemed to work, your right i cant distinguish whether that was what actually helped solve my problem or not i just thought id share my experience given our situations were fairly similar.

I've been talking to Delbeek some more, and this was his latest response:

Yikes ... sorry to hear this .... I was afraid this might have been the case ... what you saw is not uncommon, the fish look "better" simply because the parasites have dropped off and encysted on the bottom, then released 100x more infective stages a few days later ... it usually takes about 3-5 days for this to happen at which point people think the fish have recovered.

If they survive and then look better again, I would pull them all out and wait a month or so before adding fish back to the tank.

So, if this was the case, then siphoning the bottom of the tank may be effective, and worth a try. I need to do a 60g WC soon anyway, so maybe I'll give this a try...

see now if you didn't have a sand bed, this wouldn't have been an issue ;) Just messing. man i hope you can get a handle on this. let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Good luck man i'd hate to see you lose such a beautiful fish i know it bothered me when i thought i might lose mine but i think you'll get the best of it in the end :) There's no way the wc's will hurt and i actually think it could work quite well and you may be pleasently surprised :)

mojo;137035 wrote: I may give it a try - it's not going to hurt anything. However, I should inform you that fish are cold-blooded, so by definition, the water will always be their own temp... ;)
True but I was referring to their native environment. Many of our fish swim in colder waters than corals grow in.

mojo;137035 wrote: So, if this was the case, then siphoning the bottom of the tank may be effective, and worth a try. I need to do a 60g WC soon anyway, so maybe I'll give this a try...
I think if you are going to go through this trouble a hypo treatment would be a good course as well. I think short term hypo is beneficial (you can read the hypo post with Panda railing against it in part for a balanced opinion) especially in these instances.

I've noticed a significant drop off on ich in my tank since I've increased my flow a ton.

My own personal theory on this is based on the tomites being poor swimmers. So my higher flow increases the chance that it is more difficult for them to zero in on a host and perhaps the flow is strong enough to get them sent through the overflow to my UV....

Although I don't have a BB tank I do have an acrylic rock lift so current can sweep the entire bottom of the tank unimpeded by rock. Perhaps it helps flush the tomites away. Perhaps not. It's just another random theory of mine :).

btw. FRESH GARLIC JUICE :).

i noticed that as well even though all of my fish have ich at this moment they are all happy and eating well

nice, perhaps that theory would have helped me recently because I lowered flow in my tank when i went with the Tunzes.....tho it might have been the 10 fish i added within 5 days, lol. Oh well.

What's the lowest I could drop my salinity and still be safe for the corals? I don't remember, but it seems that anything that would kill of parasites would also be detrimental to corals...

Regarding flow- that's not a bad idea. I do have some extra Tunzes that I could pull out of my frag tank and keep the sand blasted...

I'm not sure what the lower salinity threshold is for most corals... However, I think lowering your salinity to say 1.023 might be beneficial in itself to help the fish combat ich. I can't take credit for this theory as it was first suggested to me by Todd Washowi of CRC fame, but I found it be relatively sound. Essentially, his argument was that the lowered salinity would not effect the ich whatsoever. However, it would help the fish with dehydration as saltwater fish spend a great deal of energy removing salts from their body as the salinity of their blood is much lower than that of the surrounding water. As such, by lowering the tank's salinity just a lil one would be helping them to conserve some of that strength of fighting off the ich.

Chris, I would not lower the salinity in the main tank. You wont be able to lower it enough to have any pathogenic control, and it will only stress out the corals and clams. If you want to run hypo, do it seperately. I dont subscribe to the theory that fish "do better" in lower salinities than NSW levels. I can see the benefit and purpose in subjecting the fish to hypo to treat a pathogen, but prophylactically running the tanks at this level will not allow them to be at "110%", in my opinion.

jmaneyapanda;137605 wrote: Chris, I would not lower the salinity in the main tank. You wont be able to lower it enough to have any pathogenic control, and it will only stress out the corals and clams. If you want to run hypo, do it seperately. I dont subscribe to the theory that fish "do better" in lower salinities than NSW levels. I can see the benefit and purpose in subjecting the fish to hypo to treat a pathogen, but prophylactically running the tanks at this level will not allow them to be at "110%", in my opinion.

Agreed...

You can not lower the salinity low enough for corals to kill the ich... The threshold for most corals is prob somewhere around 1.015... When I run hypo for ich I run at 1.009... big difference.

FutureInterest;137725 wrote: What no response to the flow theory? WEAK!

Well, if thats how its gonna be! Actually, I do not doubt this theory at all. Ever notice how bad the fish store can get ick? And they have like 10 GPH going through some of those tanks. Yet, the same fish, if placed in a modern reef tank can almost immediate resolve? Lots of theories why- comfort of the fish, predators of the pathiogen, but flow has to rank up there. Again, surely not a cure, but a preventative step, I'll sign up for that.

FutureInterest;137742 wrote: Woohoo. Panda's stamp of approval... Amazing! Truly, I'm a lil giddy inside. :)
Ah crap...did I agree with you? Then let me re-phrase....:lol2:

You didnt know I was a comedian too, did you? Alright, I'll stop. Actually, Jin, I think we have a LOT in common, we just refuse to admit it.

has anyone ever used neon gobies to cure ick? now my regal tang and my kole have it. i am going to get a cleaner shrimp but i wanted to know if anyone has had any sucess with the neon gobies

sagent3000;138004 wrote: has anyone ever used neon gobies to cure ick? now my regal tang and my kole have it. i am going to get a cleaner shrimp but i wanted to know if anyone has had any sucess with the neon gobies
wont work. neon gobies will actually catch ick quite easily. dont get me wrong, it certainly wont hurt, but dont expect it to cure it.

jmaneyapanda;137810 wrote: Ah crap...did I agree with you? Then let me re-phrase....:lol2:

You didnt know I was a comedian too, did you? Alright, I'll stop. Actually, Jin, I think we have a LOT in common, we just refuse to admit it.

As much as it pains me... I have to agree with you. :)

Have a good trip man, we'll see you next weekend!

Back