Sales on ARC

Unless I'm misinformed Mike at Iquatics is a wholesale importer.
He is but he is selling to the public now. From what he said (not sure how true) he used to sell to Nemos and Atlanta Aquarium but has since stopped and he opened up his own shop (IQuatics) and sells to the public. He is just getting into saltwater from my understanding so he's not sure what he needs to stock. I went in and talked to him last weekend and he was really nice. He loves to talk! He showed me around his whole store and showed me how everything worked. Pretty cool. Def a place to keep an eye out. I believe he will defiantly give Atlanta Aquarium and Nemos a run for their money. Time will tell though.

Unless I'm misinformed Mike at Iquatics is a wholesale importer.
As I said - perhaps I'm wrong.

However - I've seen this happen in another industry a few times. I'm guessing that side of his business relies on other retailers to buy stuff from his wholesale business - otherwise, well, he's not a wholesaler. When they catch wind of a wholesaler undercutting them at a retail level to the public - they'll all pull their business.

Again - I've physically witnessed this exact scenario play out more than once in a different industry and a similar business model just failed in this industry. https://aqualocker.com. Didn't even really fail as it really never even got off the ground fully.

It's a little bit of a tangent but a couple people touched on LFS relations on this and other recent posts, so on a related subject....All too often people think things are crazy expensive and think they can do it for cheaper. Then they try and find the reality that's it's crazy expensive and time consuming to run a business and make a living. Especially a business like this where a hobbyist can get a wholesale license and undercut you by selling out of their basement on their day off. There's been several posting on here and the FB page lately that I'd be real unhappy to see if I was a sponsor.

I have been around ARC for 16 years and this topic never goes away . People said we where crazy back then when we bought and sold a 1/2 drag of purple monster for 100.00 . I have been i this hobby for 29 years and this will never change . It simply some people buy a bubble king skimmer for 3000.00 plus some people by a vertex , Marc , reef octopus’s they by what is in the budget or they save up for it . Same thing with your house and your car . Just because some one sell a coral for 600.00 a frag to some that’s no problem for some they save up but just because a person thinks it’s too much that is there opinion. They have a choice to buy it or not . Just because you think it’s way over price don’t buy it . I would love a new f450 loaded but I am not about to go spend 100,000 for it . But that is my choice it doesn’t meen ford needs to lower the price to what I think it should cost . It’s not realistic. Now do I think companies like eco tech and Ati are nuts for there pricing on leds yes and that is why I won’t own them again with all the problems I had with there pumps and lights but once again that’s my choice . This hobby is not an entitlement hobby , where you pick and choose the prices you want . Do I think some of The prices on frags have gone to far yes but they have the right to sell them for what they choose and you as the buyer have to right to buy or not to . After 29 yrs and 16 years here this topic still goes on and it will never end . Happy reefing to all

So I am going to take it you are going to hate what IQuatics is about to do then. Not sure if you know but he is about sell fish and coral at crazy low prices. For example not sure if you have seen but he is going to sell Gem tangs for $385 where most people sell them for $600+
No because selling a fish for a little cheaper is what it is. As the price still isn’t like what guys are doing with coral. Also there is almost no one selling gem tangs for 600+ unless it’s a larger which there are not to many large around. Imm is correct about store and companies shutting things down eventually. But we will all see at the end of the day. And the guy won’t be selling too much any high end coral at those prices either.

It's a little bit of a tangent but a couple people touched on LFS relations on this and other recent posts, so on a related subject....All too often people think things are crazy expensive and think they can do it for cheaper. Then they try and find the reality that's it's crazy expensive and time consuming to run a business and make a living. Especially a business like this where a hobbyist can get a wholesale license and undercut you by selling out of their basement on their day off. There's been several posting on here and the FB page lately that I'd be real unhappy to see if I was a sponsor.
This is 100% correct and eventually all this that I’m talking about will come back around and people will see and understand because it is doing nothing but get worse and worse. The lfs will eventually go away and everyone says oh well we don’t buy form them anyways they are to expensive or what not they buy online. But guess what eventually the online markets will do the same thing. Then the hobby basically crashes then the guys that have money and know how can reopen stores and online deals and the hobby will start all over. But with everyone saying they are helping the hobby, really you are hurting the community little by little

As I said - perhaps I'm wrong.

However - I've seen this happen in another industry a few times. I'm guessing that side of his business relies on other retailers to buy stuff from his wholesale business - otherwise, well, he's not a wholesaler. When they catch wind of a wholesaler undercutting them at a retail level to the public - they'll all pull their business.

Again - I've physically witnessed this exact scenario play out more than once in a different industry and a similar business model just failed in this industry. https://aqualocker.com. Didn't even really fail as it really never even got off the ground fully.
This is correct I have seen it many of times as well. I am in the gun industry as well and deal with slot of high end equipment and companies get shut down almost every month because of these things.

@rexx1029 I get your point. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that I don't respect your opinion. I own a JF Homewrecker frag. I did not pay the $649 that TSA sells a 1/2"-3/4" frag for. Mine is twice that size for much less. When it grows out, If I decide to sell a few frags for what I paid for it I will. I will only do it here on ARC because this is my community. Besides that, I don't want to take the chance on shipping such a nice coral. The people here have been that good to me. I don't know the lineage of this frag and don't really care if it's 1st or 50th generation. JF knows when he comes out with a signature coral, it's going to be fragged at some point and sold for less than he sells it. All coral vendors know this. In the meantime, the purist in the hobby will only buy from him because they want first generation corals from him. Believe me, there are thousands of reefers around the world who will still only buy directly from him. Those of us who appreciate the beauty of the coral and the challenge to grow it out want it in our reef. I have a few high end frags that I couldn't afford to buy but for the generosity and kindness of some of our members. @kimxd has spent big dollars on some very high end corals I have seen at his place. Would I pay what he did for them? No, but I sure as heck will be watching his for sale threads to grab a frag when they grow out. Knowing what he has invested, I will pay his asking price. Again, because they are beautiful and I enjoy the challenge of growing them out. The hobby has advanced to where we are today coral wise because hobbyist get frags/colonies and grow them out under differing conditions. Jason Fox was a hobbyist when he discovered his way of coloring up corals. It's the way it has always been and will continue to be. Thanks for your comments in getting your point across.

@rexx1029 I get your point. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Because I don't agree with you doesn't mean that I don't respect your opinion. I own a JF Homewrecker frag. I did not pay the $649 that TSA sells a 1/2"-3/4" frag for. Mine is twice that size for much less. When it grows out, If I decide to sell a few frags for what I paid for it I will. I will only do it here on ARC because this is my community. Besides that, I don't want to take the chance on shipping such a nice coral. The people here have been that good to me. I don't know the lineage of this frag and don't really care if it's 1st or 50th generation. JF knows when he comes out with a signature coral, it's going to be fragged at some point and sold for less than he sells it. All coral vendors know this. In the meantime, the purist in the hobby will only buy from him because they want first generation corals from him. Believe me, there are thousands of reefers around the world who will still only buy directly from him. Those of us who appreciate the beauty of the coral and the challenge to grow it out want it in our reef. I have a few high end frags that I couldn't afford to buy but for the generosity and kindness of some of our members. @kimxd has spent big dollars on some very high end corals I have seen at his place. Would I pay what he did for them? No, but I sure as heck will be watching his for sale threads to grab a frag when they grow out. Knowing what he has invested, I will pay his asking price. Again, because they are beautiful and I enjoy the challenge of growing them out. The hobby has advanced to where we are today coral wise because hobbyist get frags/colonies and grow them out under differing conditions. Jason Fox was a hobbyist when he discovered his way of coloring up corals. It's the way it has always been and will continue to be. Thanks for your comments in getting your point across.
Well you actually said exactly the point I was making though with out even doing it I think. I said many of times that’s I believe it’s ok to help family and close friends and such and by helping those who help you. It’s really like trading. That’s fine and then you said that you however would sell outside of this community because of shipping and such. So really at the end of the day you are doing basically mostly exactly what I said it should be. Hep friends and that help you it that’s not the new price for the whole world.

Back