Swu Iii

dough;39568 wrote: Todd, are you trying to say that you did not see any value (interest) in the conference for the price? Or you did not see any value (interest) period? You're kind of hard to follow here or I am just too tired to think. :)

I thought I made it quite clear...I did not see anything that interested me enough to go spend the money on. Fragging, lighting, fragging, water quality, fragging....

Value? is in the beholder....If you got something out of it and learned something..it was a value to you....I did not see the value..maybe wrong, if so my loss...It's a personal decision....What I think, is what I think..just my thoughts...only problem is nobody else says anything else on these boards and all you see is my thoughts.....

look how many people looked at this thread..you see their comments? I don't

So based on some of the posts here: What topics would be interesting to the masses? Please give specifics about what you'd like to see.

(If this should be another thread then please move it.)

Thanks for your input and feedback.

Bob

I think we should make a different thread for this... TOPICS and WORKSHOPS of interest to our Club Members. We will use this information when planning MACNA

I agree. But here it is 4 hours later...another 100 or so look at it..and No comments..

I will be quiet now...Its a nice day outside...Time to cut grass. :)

If you look around, you will notice that MACNA and IMAC both cost more as you get closer to the event. But, so do other conferences I plan to attend that are not really hobby shows such as the Regional Aquatics Workshop (for zoo and public aquarium personel) and the Fish Health Management course at NC State University. And, there are very practical reasons for raising registration rates as the event approaches. For one, it costs money to bring in the speakers. You need cash on hand months in advance to pay for their flights. You also need money for deposits for the venue, advertising, website domain registration as well as hosting, printing brochures, etc. The more money you bring in ahead of time, the better. And if you are going to serve food, in many instances you need to submit hard numbers to the caterers days to a week or more in advance. Plus, it is a logistical issue. If you expect 200 attendees, it is one thing to preregister half and only have to give out preprinted name badges and brochures and quite another to have to collect cash, checks, or credit cards from every attendee because they all chose to register at the door. All of this means that you really need to get as many people as possible to register early. To that end, you give discounts to encourage this behavior because as you said, most people wait to do things like this until the last minute. Discounted passes are a very easy and effective way to encourage this change in behavior.

Well said, and I agree...but what would you rather have, $50 the day before or no bucks the day before, and the day of..Because I would rather have some money than no money.

Sure a perfect world everybody buys the day they go on sale...months in advance ...I did for MACNA in Pittsburgh this year...see ya there.

But in reality, it does not work that way. I do a lot of golf charity scrambles..You know the standard $100 a man foursomes.. They always would like the $ early...they never get it. But they take it that morning and its costs nothing more. Because the money is there!! Because in this world peoples schedules change ALOT!! mine certainly does......So I have to wait till the end.....do I pay more for things....most the time, NO I don't...In fact, I pay less alot of the times.....I used airfares as an example. Cruises, etc...They want the seats filled, and some money is better than no money.

The price changing will not change behavior, It's a matter of," is my schedule set months in advance and I know what I am doing for the next year"..or, do I have to wait because I have no idea what is happening a week from now let alone 3 months from now..

MACNA this year....I am building a store in Wheeling, WV. So I know I will be there, bought the ticket...Saved money on it..Live in McKeesport... so I will visit home..All worked out...But if that same ticket cost $200 the day before? Have fun because I will not be there.

I would be down to the last minute for me to decide (if the store was not being built)...Then if I really wanted to go, I would buy the higher ticket or not...I am saying to you now, I would not have....but if it were the same cost at that time I most likely would go....So MACNA Pittsburgh would have lost out on a Hundred dollars from me. My loss, maybe..definitly MACNA's loss.. would you agree?

And this is all based on lief's schedules not that I did not want to go, but because my schedule is not set that far in advance then is the trip worth the costs of going? Including Air, hotel, food, fun and expenses....

Thats how I went to MACNA in DC..Building there. MACNA Pittsburgh, Building there...MACNA Atlanta, live here...

MACNA (what ever city) most likely, not see ya...

Make sense?

washowi;39622 wrote: Bob read my thread comments, where did I say i was not a bargain for $49..?

I tried to buy it Friday....What I said is why is it $75 of Friday before the meeting? Something special happen at midnight? Why increase at all? Hold your cost....here's the deal Bob. I would say 80% of us are procrastinators. Bob you may not be one....I AM...I don't do ANYTHING till the last minute.

Do you say, "lets go the Braves game next July 21, 2008. I 'll meet ya at 7 in the parking lot"...or do like me and say. "i just got some tickets for tonights game, let head down in an hour''.....

See the problem is you are planning for the way you think and feel. What's interesting to you...That's why you get the low numbers...You need to plan for the masses..and the way people in general react and operate.

That's my take on it

ALL conventions do this. The extra fee as the date comes closer is to account for the fact that whether or not you and I are lazy procrastinators (I know *I* am), any gathering or function like this, esp. one of any real scale, requires months of planning and setup, and the biggest part of the planning is accounting for all the attendees. It's not that the price goes UP shortly before the function so much as you are being offered a discount for efficient planning and timely registration; this makes it easier for the event planners to co-ordinates activities since they have a better idea of exactly how many people will be there long before the date. You also have to consider that not only is it easier for them to PLAN for you, but by registering in advance, they have the chance to use your registration fees to make the event even better, effectively spending your money on you, not just getting their $$ the day of the event which winds up in a cash box somewhere, preventing them from investing those dollars in the event itself. No event like this could EVER go off more than once if most of the attendees didn't register and pay in advance. How else would they reserve the location where it's held (who you can be certain requires the event planners to pay in advance), among other things.

The Braves do the same **** thing. You buy a season pass way in advance, you get a discount. You buy a single ticket the night of the game, you pay more than you would if you had bought a pass far in advance; it doesn't cost the Braves any more for you to be there suddenly, but you still pay more. Same thing with Dragon*Con. D*Con has roughly 50,000 to 75,000 attendees over the course of 5 days every year, and the difference between buying a ticket at the door or just a week before and the difference between registering in advance is, well:

You may order your Memberships to Dragon*Con 2007:<ul>
<li>$60 to 5/15/2007</li>
<li>$70 to 7/13/2007</li>
<li>$85 thereafter</li>
</ul>Most people who would want to go know as much, and they either have to plan ahead to get the $25 discount, or they have to wait as the time approaches to see if they can actually go, and then bite the bullet and pay the extra $25 at the door.

Regardless, this is a standard practice everywhere for functions like this, and it, IMNSHO, is a perfectly valid one. Having been on staff at numerous events, I totally understand the reasoning. D*Con obviously has no problems attracting the masses (I've met people there who had driven from Alaska or flown in from other countries SOLELY to attend the convention, as well as nigh every geek in Atlanta), and those that don't pre-register pay at the door happily. When you have an event, you have to plan for it, and you account for the people who make it harder to plan for by charging them more when they get there. I seriously doubt that the price increase at the door had squat to do with any lack of attendance. Me? I didn't find out about the event until it was rapidly approaching, and just couldn't afford it. Like me, you pay for your procrastination... As someone with ADHD, I've learned that this is a linear world we live in, and one mostly geared toward people who plan and prepare for greater efficiency, and it's on you and I to pay the price for our lackof ability (or desire) to do so. Thats just the way life is.

"The way people in general react and operate" is not</em> how you and I operate... we're the exception, not the rule, when it comes to events like this, which require lots of planning and organization, and it's not their fault we can't be organized enough to plan ahead, just they way they are planning ahead. I don't know what you do for a living, but most every business venture in the history of mankind has rewarded planning and efficiency, and penalized procrastination and lazyness. Why should SWU be any different?

Oh, and I'm really not trying to start a flame of any kind, nor do I want to make anybody mad or upset... this is just the way I see it. I'm a lazy ******* and I admit it, but I can't fault the organized for being so.

Well ya know what...well said....As I started responding to this thread and this stuff....I stated I am looking for reasons WHY people do not attend...

First off COST....we all know the ARC members by far are not the most open with their pockets...Remember the ARC yearly dues debate?

Also MANY people said to me personally that it was too expensive....and did not feel the the value was there for a one day visit....REMEMBER it was a one price for all event..BAD MOVE as far as I am concerned..you need daily tickets...Charge high for them..

Dude I am 45 years old..I know how the hell pricing works...and costs..

WE seem to have a problem with ARC members attending events in which FREE FRAGS are not involved....I think it has to do with PRICING that is all...

And what I do is construction and that changes on a minutes notice so I get paid to be able to adjust and change QUICKLY...so not all jobs reward for planning...there are MANY forms of planning...keep and open mind.

washowi;39622 wrote:
I tried to buy it Friday....What I said is why is it $75 of Friday before the meeting? Something special happen at midnight? Why increase at all?

I do not know what all was involved, but usually the price hike is to discourage people from waiting till the last min, for every registrant, there is a certain amount of work that goes in to prepare what they would recieve, name tags, welcome packets... etc... etc... which can become overwhelming if a ton of people decided to register at the last min.... planning is very important in these events, so if you can avoid last min surprises, you will have a better handle on the situation... Just thought I make a feeble attempt to explain....

Todd, I wasn't trying to insult you in the least. Notice I mentioned over and over that I'm much the same way, but this doesn't change the fact that an event such as this one simply cannot go off (more than once) without lots of advance forethought and planning... Sure, you have to be nimble enough to handle emergencies or major changes when/as they arise, but I'm willing to bet that you still don't start any project without as much advanced forethought and planning as is possible, trying to minimize emergency changes or alterations to schedule; they are troublesome for everyone involved, usually create time delays (potentially putting the project over deadline), and in the end always cost someone money, period. I'm sure you know all this, of course, but you get my point. Wouldn't you charge a client more to build a home who wants you start construction tomorrow; just out of the blue, who doesn't really have all the plans and designs set in stone, just wants you to start building? Maybe thats a bad example, since you know that delays and overruns in such a case will make you</em> plenty of money, but you know what I'm getting at. My father is a civil engineer and construction manager, and I know very well how much effort he puts in to time planning and the minimization/mitigation of last minute surprises... You said you get paid well to handle last minute changes and surprises... As in paid <u>extra</em></u>, which is extra money the SWU people want to minimize going out the door in the interests of efficiency so they can give you more for your dollar. What if they had just said, "We're holding SWU sometime this year, but we don't know who, when, where, and how much it will be... We'll just let you know when we decide... Probably 2 or 3 days before?" Would you still be interested in going, or would you write it off? Would you go again when the whole thing is badly organized and executed (wasting your</em> time)?

I can't speak to the price; I simply couldn't have afforded it myself. Free corals or not is of no issue to me... There are plenty of $5 frags at various stores, and plenty of ARC members offering to frag corals out to other members for little to no cost all the time, I would have just enjoyed to opportunity to learn new things, but I'm a geek like that. Maybe it was a bit too expensive, seeing as Dragon*Con is just $10 more expensive, 150x larger, and runs 5 whole days... But then, I don't know anything about the back-end costs, here, and D*Con has retailers making money on the premises...

Again, I wasn't there. I can't speak to the quality of the event itself, nor the perceived value for the money you paid. I don't wanna make anyone angry or get yet another thread in a flame war... I'm just pointing it out as I see it, based on what I think is a pretty good understanding of business; those fees increases are standard in such situations in any industry, and I don't think it's fair to chastise them for it. A lack of a single day pass is a different story altogether.

I thought the price was very reasonable for what you would be getting... I just didn't find any of the topics to be of interest to me.

Price wasn't an issue for me either and as conferences go pretty good deal. For me more vendors, vendor presentations, more people and topics that are more relevant to me. I am also not against tele-conferencing speakers which can be much cheaper than flying in key speakers and allows for a greater variety of conference material.

Back