Updated: Light Friendly Clear Mesh Screen Cover for Open Top Tanks-Standard/Rimless

wwomack;491085 wrote: Great idea for a top. Unfortunately my tank isn't drilled so I'll have to come up with some way to make openings for my HOB protein skimmer (and overflow box once I get one). I wonder if I could use some more 90 degree pieces to create a small opening along the middle of the back. It would mean it's not 100% jump safe but pretty close.

What you can do is buy some extra corner pieces and just come in at 90 degrees with that to make your cutouts.

Others have shortened the screen by 3-4 inches at the back and glued (epoxied) a piece of that back splash guard you see on the back of glass tops, then just cut out where they need to for HOB equipment.

Coleus;513639 wrote: Very nice descriptive thread. I was wondering if i can order some from you and ship to Canada? I need about 6x2 feet

Thanks
Tai
PM sent.

Miller_Time;501092 wrote: Im curious where you find the mesh too??

I don't know what he used, exactly, but I used bird netting available in the garden section of Lowes or Home Depot.

Dave, cut me a piece as you know what size. I can come get it this weekend or next. Waiting on Grouper to starting biting. :)

Very nice thread! Great info and detail. I also love your frag plug holders. I wil be using that one!

Shrimpy Brains;513850 wrote: Very nice thread! Great info and detail. I also love your frag plug holders. I wil be using that one!

Nice thing about the PCV plug holders is that they pull of easily if you don't want to use them any more....bad thing is they are not natural looking.

Also...check your choice of frag plugs against the ID of the PVC pipe..some frag plugs are too wide to fit into the pipe.

Coleus wrote:
Hey Dan

Got your mesh today and i went to Home Depot and gather all tools and frame. Cost me $76 and then when i got home, look at my tank. I realize my tank is bow front and not sure how i am going to make the screen curve. Got any great idea?

Thanks

Actually, I have a set of bowfront instructions I'll send you based on how others have made them for their bowfronts. Private message me here with your email address and I'll send them your way. I have only made square or rectangular tops myself, but others have made them for bows.
Dave

im curious to see how to do a bow front one. any way to post it?

I did these for my 175 bowfront.
Those aluminum channels dont "bow" very well...so I took a lighter and heated up the plastic corner peices and bent them to accomodate the bow. Worked out pretty nice.

I will try to post up a pic later.

I am unable to post the bowfront instruction file here, specifically the pics that illustrate the bow top DIY. If anyone wants the file, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

14352_512x288_manicured__GMJhD4IQwEe+6bFJuuokpA.jpg
alt="" />.

And then?

awww you edited right when i posted that, you only had one step listed.

EnderG60;520671 wrote: awww you edited right when i posted that, you only had one step listed.

Sorry 'bout that....I was trying to save the pictures and post them separately from the instructions, but the document won't let me do it. And the file is too big to directly place in a thread all at once.

Here's mine!
I dont know that its an "according to Hoyle" method for a bowfront...but it worked for me.

894723855_CecZJ-L.jpg
alt="" />

I heated up the corners and bent them to the correct angle.
There is a open spot there about a 1/4 wide. If any fish can jump through that...its his destiny.

894724048_RHQ5r-L.jpg
alt="" />

Here's a picture of my latest mesh top. This one is on my new Marineland DD 150, 36" x 36" x 27" which replaced my 30 x 30 Rimless. It has a feeding door on the front, with hinges made of zip ties. Basically for frozen food. Pellets go right thru the screens.

Stole that innovation from Oz. I think the zip tie hinges are my original addition to the door idea.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
521138=24526-Picture 194.jpg
>
521138=24526-Picture 194.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Picture 194.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back