Updated: Light Friendly Clear Mesh Screen Cover for Open Top Tanks-Standard/Rimless

Acroholic;491098 wrote: What you can do is buy some extra corner pieces and just come in at 90 degrees with that to make your cutouts.

Others have shortened the screen by 3-4 inches at the back and glued (epoxied) a piece of that back splash guard you see on the back of glass tops, then just cut out where they need to for HOB equipment.

I had the same dilemma. I just built mine around a HOB skimmer. Couple problems I ran into. Those 90 degree pieces only fit the frame one way. I had to do some extra trimming to make them fit. Not a great fit, but it works. Then as you are putting the mesh in, the modified section tends to bow in. I cut a piece of frame to brace the back as I finished putting the mesh in. I didn't attach it, just used it as a spacer. The frame doesn't seem to sit around the HOB as well as I would like, but I feel alot better about my jawfish in there! (The tank, not the HOB) Another thing, I centered the modification in the back of my tank. Moving it to the corner might work out better

What I may end up doing is building two small frames that sit on either side of the HOB and stretch the mesh between the two. My tank isn't that big, so sag should not be an issue. I don't think those extra two crossbars will block that much light. Hope this helps!

BTW, thanks for the mesh Acro!

if you put the angle peices in the other way there is also no place for the spline to go, so it makes putting the mesh in a PINA. The easiest thing to do is to shorten the mesh top and get some acrylic to cut notches out of for the equipment. Bit more work/money but it works much better.

I used black on mine and it blocks the light from getting to the overflows and growing algea. Working good so far.

What is the hole spacing of the mesh? Trying to find some online to make one for my tank (had a jumper this morning)

Does anyone have a 2'X2' piece of this mesh I can buy from them?

atlorange;591894 wrote: Does anyone have a 2'X2' piece of this mesh I can buy from them?

You can find it at Lowe's for pretty cheap. It's bird netting. I have some I'd give you, but I live in Midtown Atlanta.

Thanks for such a great step-by-step, Dave. I finished my top tonight with the mesh I got from you. It was a breeze using your steps.

OldandTired;629206 wrote: Just curious, what was the increase in evaporation rate?

I never had an increase in evaporation......my tanks were all open top prior to being mesh covered.

Dave this is a great idea thanks!!! Is it possible to di a top straight down long instead of cut up squares?? Mine is 4Feet long and 1Feet wide I am planning in doing corners over flow and drilled it from the back noting going over the top.

Edit: By the way I almost forgot would this 1/4" mesh hold an eel inside?

CarlitosReef;681387 wrote: Dave this is a great idea thanks!!! Is it possible to di a top straight down long instead of cut up squares?? Mine is 4Feet long and 1Feet wide I am planning in doing corners over flow and drilled it from the back noting going over the top.

Edit: By the way I almost forgot would this 1/4" mesh hold an eel inside?

If you mean a single top instead of one that fits in the top trim recesses, then yes. Most folks do the individuals because they fit almost flush in the areas where the glass tops would go. You can do a single 48" x 12" mesh top if you want.

I cannot say for sure that the mesh is strong enough to hold in an eel. The mesh tops themselves are very light, so the frames would need to be locked down on to of the tank somehow if you were to try it. The mesh is not weak by any means, but it is held in place by spline.

Maybe someone that has tried this can comment?

Anyone wanting a copy of the DIY file, complete with pictures, can PM me their email address and I'll send it to them.

Looks like we lost pics in this thread, acro any chance you have those pics still and can update. I am interested in one of these as my tank is an open top and a month in i lost an orange spotted goby due to him jumping out. Weird thing is I had never even seen him come out of his spot at the bottom of the tank until one morning i found him on the floor. Guess he got spooked by something.

Back