Using apex salinity probe to run ATO pump

franciscosalazar

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone here use their apex salinity probe as the main trigger for an ATO?
I've seen threads in favor and opposing this setup but none from this year nor last year.
I also read that the probes were malfunctioning prior to 2013 but that the newer probes are reliable.
Could it be that no one has tried running an ATO with a probe since the reliability issues were resolved in 2013?

How would that work? Salinity increases due to evaporation and then time to top off? Seems like a sensor would be a lot more fine and accurate; unnecessary layer of complexity. I don't really want to wait until there are definitive salinity changes in my tank but maybe I'm missing the point entirely.

I've heard of guys using it with a breakout box and a funnel type of device with salt to automate the actual making of salt water for AWC, but even that seems dodgy.

I've been reading on the Neptune forums lately about ATO programming. Some use both switches and their probes as fail safes.

This video touches on the topic
a>

So far so good.
I set my pump to come on for 5 seconds if the conductivity probe registers higher than 34 ppt.

That's actually kind of cool. My bubble trap sponge was a bit clogged and tunze added too much water on return side. I could set the probe to power off the ATO outlet if the salinity drops as a fail safe.
My probe is still in the box, haven't had time to mess with it.

Francisco,
Do you trust the accuracy and stability of a Neptune salinity probe and the stability of a Neptune salinity probe calibration to give it control of your specific gravity? I don't trust the DA salinity probe enough to do that. Have you heard of long term accuracy with the Neptune probe?

I would have to have supreme confidence in the product to do what you are doing.......particularly with a smaller volume of water.

Not trying to dissuade you, but looking at the equipment side of it. An ATO responds to a quantifiable drop in evaporated water level, but the salinity probe relies on conductivity. If the calibration goes off you could flood your tank or not put any makeup water in the tank at all.

Again, not familiar with the Neptune salinity probe, but ATOs don't need calibration, need little to no maintenance, and are very good at maintaining a very steady SG.
Dave

Dave,
I plan on checking the calibration of the probe during every water change using my refractometer.
I have a 1 gallon ATO reservoir so i'm not too concerned about any inaccuracies.
As always, I appreciate your advice and concern.

The description talks about: salinity probe value versus the value of your tank inhabitants, whether success or fail in the practice

Sound like an accident waiting to happen to me. Bad probe=constant call for water... Why not just float switches? Tried and true....

Just my $.02

nickg;990352 wrote: Sound like an accident waiting to happen to me. Bad probe=constant call for water... Why not just float switches? Tried and true....

Just my $.02

Kind of my thoughts as well.

I'm not opposed to using float switches, I have some.
I need to get the breakout box if I decide to us them.
Anyone have an I/O you are not using?

I would recommend Tunze to anyone first. All I have ever used, and dead accurate. If you were not aware, Tunze makes an Osmolator Nano that sells God about $100. That would be my first choice for a smaller volume system, based on the dead nuts accuracy and reliability of my Osmolators.

tz4113.htm

Acroholic;990424 wrote: I would recommend Tunze to anyone first. All I have ever used, and dead accurate. If you were not aware, Tunze makes an Osmolator Nano that sells God about $100. That would be my first choice for a smaller volume system, based on the dead nuts accuracy and reliability of my Osmolators.

http://www.saltysupply.com/Tunze-Nano-Osmolator-Universal-Water-Level-Regulat-p/tz4113.htm?gclid=CNrIn9yVocECFfLm7AodVVgABQ&CAWELAID=120129870000144403&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120129870000143158&cadevice=t">http://www.saltysupply.com/Tunze-Nano-Osmolator-Universal-Water-Level-Regulat-p/tz4113.htm?gclid=CNrIn9yVocECFfLm7AodVVgABQ&CAWELAID=120129870000144403&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120129870000143158&cadevice=t</a>[/QUOTE]

I actually have one that's never seen water. Just have to find the little clear plastic piece that snaps into the magnet to hold the float switch. It's down there in the frag dungeon somewhere.
Went out and got the 3155 today for the redundancy.

Uhh...interesting experiment but...uhh.... Sorry, I have to go with everyone else. I can understand wanting to use what you have and the theory is sound. Unfortunately probes of any kind are the things that tend to malfunction and need calibration more than any other. If it requires so much expense to expand your controller for using an ATO, I am with Dave and suggest a unit like the osmolater. They can be pricey too. I use a double float switch unit with snail guard from autotopoff and have loved it and the price for 2 years so far. Its $51 plus a few more for the snail guard. I use an aqualifter for the pump. Good luck and keep us posted if you stay with the probe please.

franciscosalazar;990658 wrote: I'm only using this setup for 2 weeks while I'm abroad.
Looks like it should work at least that long.

That will be a long two weeks. Fingers crossed for you.
I personally would use the "should" experiments while I was around to monitor. :) Do you have someone scheduled to come by the house to check it regularly?

Back