VOTE for GAI Beluga Whale program!

heathlindner25;939515 wrote: I'm just asking that everybody please do a little reading before you vote on this matter, beluga whales are highly social and intelligent creatures and to rip them away from their families and sentence them to isolation and mental derangement so we have something to do on Saturday.....................

Due diligence is never asking too much.

I'm out on this one boys. I see no evidence that this is for the betterment of the animals long or short term.

DawgFace;939517 wrote: Due diligence is never asking too much.

I'm out on this one boys. I see no evidence that this is for the betterment of the animals long or short term.

Yaaaaaaaaa!!! save the whales ,quit hunting them....

heathlindner25;939482 wrote: what makes you think that? what's the body count again at the Georgia Aquarium?

Everyone has there own views and opinions, Just today "man" slaughtered more whales, in 2012 the man killed 22,000 elephants, in the last few years man has been the sole reason that rhinos have lost some 1600 for their horns. (google some of those images) Im not sure how long Zoo atalanta has had theirs but I know one was born last year.

And then there are places like Noah's ark that I love to go visit, where would some of these animals be if was not for places like Noah's Ark. I love to visit that place and now that it has warmed up a bit my son and I will be going back.

Anyways, just my opinion, that's the beauty of the internets, we all get to voice em :)

heathlindner25;939515 wrote: I'm just asking that everybody please do a little reading before you vote on this matter, beluga whales are highly social and intelligent creatures and to rip them away from their families and sentence them to isolation and mental derangement so we have something to do on Saturday.....................

On the subject, this weekend I bumped into CNN's documentary called Blackfish about the seaworld killer whale program and the countless coverups and lies to the public about killer whale aggression. For a marine enthusiast like myself it was the most interestinf and eye opening programs ive seen in a long time. I encourage everyone to check it out.

Kirkwood;939891 wrote: On the subject, this weekend I bumped into CNN's documentary called Blackfish about the seaworld killer whale program and the countless coverups and lies to the public about killer whale aggression. For a marine enthusiast like myself it was the most interestinf and eye opening programs ive seen in a long time. I encourage everyone to check it out.

Keep in mind it's much closer to propaganda than a real documentary. It is NOT unbiased. The makers most certainly had an agenda.

Kirkwood;939891 wrote: On the subject, this weekend I bumped into CNN's documentary called Blackfish about the seaworld killer whale program and the countless coverups and lies to the public about killer whale aggression. For a marine enthusiast like myself it was the most interestinf and eye opening programs ive seen in a long time. I encourage everyone to check it out.

that is not a documentary...please, we are smarter than that, no?

:yes:

kirkwood;939891 wrote: on the subject, this weekend i bumped into cnn's documentary called blackfish about the seaworld killer whale program and the countless coverups and lies to the public about killer whale aggression. For a marine enthusiast like myself it was the most interestinf and eye opening programs ive seen in a long time. I encourage everyone to check it out.

+1

Akopley;939933 wrote: Yeah the agenda was exposure and I don't feel like it was excessive. If the parks had a dog in the moral fight they would release something explaining how whales in captivity benefit anything except their wallets.

Do some research. They have.

Pretty narrow views here. Interesting given some of the tanks I have seen. I guess everyone has their own line they are comfortable with. Funny how the line usually sits right outside their own living room.

Akopley;939932 wrote: I would never vote for this and I don't think anyone who is fully educated on the subject would either. Whales are documented as having social structures, in many cases, deeper than human beings. Literally families, with language, shared skill sets and most importantly an awareness of self. It is not hypocritical to own reef fish and think that there is a difference between that and keeping sentient beings captive.

This doesn't appear to be about sustainability in the wild, it appears to be a way of creating genetic diversity in a captive environment. A way to encourage breeding programs and put more whales in more parks to make more money.'

thank you for not voting.

Definitely not for me. The space in which they are confined are pretty disgusting. The whales at the GA aquarium don't look good or that they are enjoying themselves. Just swim in a circle. I'd go crazy as I'm sure that they do. If this species was endangered it would be one thing but this is only for entertainment. Imagine the tables being turned. You being put in a small box for display. Not much fun. That being said, I also try to not have endangered fish in my tanks and would rather by captive bred but that's a lil harder in this hobby than freshwater. Times are changing and I think more people are becoming aware of what these creatures go thru while in captivity. There are other ways to educate the public on these animals.

a>

Nature shows of the animals in their natural habitat influenced me more as a child and led me to pursue a degree in marine biology and hopefully a doctorate. There are more effective ways than forcing an intelligent creature to live in a extremely confined area. What does it teach the kids when they see them swimming around in circles? How would you like to be confined in a space like that? I'd much rather take my kid on a whale watching boat ride then try and lie to them and say that the whale is happy and content just swimming in circles and doing tricks for our amusement. Highly intelligent animals should not be kept in captivity if they aren't endangered and need a breeding program.zoos and aquariums do a valuable job but there should be an extent to what animals should and shouldn't be in captivity. I count whale sharks with them. This is all my opinion of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have no problem with children looking at fish, the problem is keeping Whales in captivity.

I don't have anything that's considered highly intelligent and my dog is a part of my pack (family) and isn't soo depressed that it just walks in circles. You can't even try to compare domesticated pets to a whale or dolphin. That's not even close to the same ball park.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jtsreef;940022 wrote: All of you that are against this. Im taking yhat you do not have any kind of pets what so ever??

some people just don't understand the difference between fish and domesticated dogs and such and large undomestic animals that need to be left in the ocean

Back