VOTE for GAI Beluga Whale program!

...but you have helped the vote because over 800 views and most of them are not posting here...they are either voting or not voting...so thanks!

rjrgroup;940300 wrote: Until somebody ask the whales what they think, you're all whining morons...:tongue:

I guess you've never seen their depressing exhibit. Guess we should be glad that we've evolved somewhat but just imagine if there was a species higher than us that would round us up, separate you from our family and natural environment and stick you in a room barely big enough to move around all for the sake that they can make a profit. But I guess our few minutes of joy trumps all.

Reread the post...unless you actually think the whales will have an opinion...then that entails a totally different response.

I can see both sides of the argument but to me the positive is we are trying to do something to help save a species. The human race has done much more deplorable things to the living animals on this planet that this isn't even the tip of the iceberg of being disgusting. What they are doing with captive breeding is very important, which could be said about any species.

indecloudzua;940324 wrote: I guess you've never seen their depressing exhibit. Guess we should be glad that we've evolved somewhat but just imagine if there was a species higher than us that would round us up, separate you from our family and natural environment and stick you in a room barely big enough to move around all for the sake that they can make a profit. But I guess our few minutes of joy trumps all.

Take the "higher than us species" out and you have slavery...

I was not posting to take a side, I like going to a public aquarium or zoo but...In the same breath I am concerned about the unethical and cruel treatment of animals. I have pets, my aquariums and 3 dogs. All 3 were rescue dogs we saved from terrible situations. The most recent is a 60 lb great dane/lab mix that cowers when I walk into the room because he was abused by a man in his pre-rescue situation. Almost makes me want to cry then makes me angry when it happens but I’m glad at least I could help change his future (I’d really like to change his previous owners future but that wouldn’t be right either).

This topic of keeping whales in captivity for public display is no different than someone placing a couple of tangs in a 55g tank…it’s just not right.

The species isn't endangered. Only captive stocks are endangered. And how can you say they don't have opinions? We have yet to decipher their communication so it can't be said definitively. But from simple observation you can tell they are depressed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

indecloudzua;940330 wrote: But from simple observation you can tell they are depressed

Do they dress up like goth kids and listen to Morissey?

dball711;940329 This topic of keeping whales in captivity for public display is no different than someone placing a couple of tangs in a 55g tank…it’s just not right.[/QUOTE said:
And if you did do such a thing these are the same people that would flame you for it...

k3nnyP;940313 wrote: A number of years ago I voted for a bill in FL to ensure pregnant pigs had enough space to turn around in their cages. It passed with very wide margins. Just before the bill went into affect a large number of pregnant pigs were reportedly slaughtered to avoid fines.

My biggest lesson was that life is complicated and there are many facets to discussions of this nature. I personally have not been close enough to this program nor have I done enough research to confidently vote either way.

I will say I go to the GA aquarium at least once a year and of all of the exhibits the Beluga Whale tank is the most depressing for me.

You know that was the end game all along regardless of the vote, your vote right? The legislation probably should have given them a grace period, I'd blame politicians there. But even then, not so much. Guaranteed now the pregnant pigs have bigger cages. They breed, they kill and we eat.... They live a slightly better life I suppose..... Win for the pigs, kinda.

Ringo®;940340 wrote: Do they dress up like goth kids and listen to Morissey?

LOL at one was funny!

I hear a lot of rhetoric but very little proof, facts and supporting evidence.

Is the species in danger?

Is this conservation for the species or captive species?

Are they depressed?

How intelligent are they?

Let's see something other than opinion.

mysterybox;940175 wrote:

Question? are all of you vegetarians?

I am. And I really don't have a problem with whale hunting either.

That being said I do see both sides of the argument. But, should we close down all zoo's or only allow them to keep "stupid" animals. I don't see where you can draw the line. And the truth is, there are organizations out there that think what we do with our little boxes of ocean is deplorable. And while I understand the argument that keeping a whale in a box and keeping a fish in a box are completely different things I still find it ironic. Kind of like meat eaters who think non-endangered whales shouldn't be hunted. Boil it down to the basics and what's the difference?

Anyway, seems some people are taking this topic too personally. I'm going back to staring at my :fish:.

This is almost as bad as the whale sharks... I'm all for viewing pleasure but I would much rather sit at home and watch a special on TV than drive to Atlanta, stand in line and see cramped fish in a tank.

Back