What salt do you use?

Do you think the Salinity would be a good choice for keeping SPS, Inverts, and the Salmon of Capistrano?

CJ

Cjsparky;668903 wrote: Do you think the Salinity would be a good choice for keeping SPS, Inverts, and the Salmon of Capistrano?

CJ

Yes, yes, and no. :)

The Salmon of Capistrano is FW, ya know.

CarlitosReef;679987 wrote: Buying sand or salt from petco is good?

I guess it depends what brand. I wouldn't buy "generic" from them...

Of course I wouldn't buy anything from them, but that's just me :)

ive always used the premixed nutri sea water and its great. Its a little high on salinity but its great water. All of my life is thriving and it growing very fast and looks healthy. Love this stuff. I just have to use RO mixed with a little bit of PH buffer to keep the salinity in check when i do top offs. Anyone who hasnt tried this stuff REALLY needs to. Its amazing water.

Top offs should be made with fresh RO, not saltwater. If you top off with saltwater, your salinity will gradually keep on rising.

Water evaporates, salt does not. So for evaporation, only fresh RO should be used.

When changing water = removing saltwater, then an equal amount of new saltwater needs to be replaced.

Jenn

The reason why I was asking was because I heard they got some great discounts going on I'm not sure if they still are.

Seems like the RC is more popular but before seeing the poll on here I was leaning more toward the Red Sea Cora Pro Salt.

I just switched from RC to red sea coral pro. I found the levels in my batch to be much better than the RC batch I had. There's something going on with my tank that I can't figure out, colors fading, simple corals dieing while sps is growing (though not colorfully). Salt was my next in line in order to keep searching for the culprit.
I've had IO and then RC for the past 6 months and have had eternal problems with low alkalinity. I make up with kalkwasser DI/RO and calc is always fine, but not alk.

reef crystals here. seems to be the easiest "reef" salt to find a deal on consistently. If anyone here buys theirs at petco for convenience, know that they will match the online price if you ask. depending on what % off it is online you can get a pretty good deal on a bucket. I have also noticed sponsors (and other LFS) will have good sales on the 200g boxes as well, but I tend to go with petco because the price of gas and my location.

albeit reef crystals is usually "fine", I tend to not buy products based solely on price (however, the same exact item, I usually will), as this will lead to problems eventually in this expensive hobby.....just saying.

There's a lot of cheaper salt available.

You do make a good point though. It's an expensive hobby. Anyone who doesn't have a lot of money should just lose all interest.

That is what you're getting at... right?

Some people buy what is "least expensive" because that is what they can afford. Even if you buy a $100 light fixture that will only last a couple years instead of a $500 one, it's better than simply not buying one or even trying because you don't have $500 that you can drop on lights. You don't have to be rich to be interested in reefing.

I'm just saying.

Back