3D Printer

after making the obj file, it looks like there is some work that needs to be done before making the .stl version, the walls need to be thickened and something about closing off the model and converting to mesh or something.. i didnt quite understand what it was saying...

the pepakura files are made to be printed on cardstock paper cut out and put together to make a 3d model.

but i did find a nice ironman helmet .stl files

RonnieBlaze;829545 wrote: after making the obj file, it looks like there is some work that needs to be done before making the .stl version, the walls need to be thickened and something about closing off the model and converting to mesh or something.. i didnt quite understand what it was saying...

the pepakura files are made to be printed on cardstock paper cut out and put together to make a 3d model.

but i did find a nice ironman helmet .stl files

The STL "Object" has to be a solid surface all around, there can't be any gaps in the seams or empty areas.

Like, if you had a model of a sphere, and it had a gap or hole in the surface.. then it wouldn't be considered solid all around.

Is this printer something similar to the Makerbot Replicator 2? I just saw a 3D printer machine at CES International

Basically the same, yes...

Different configurations and capabilities, but they work the same.

You can download files to print a 30 rnd ar mag! All you need is the spring, and it does work. I also saw a guy printed a working record! Not great sound quality yet, but it's cool to convert mp3 back to plastic!

Thought that you might like to see this one.

'http://m.cnet.com/news/3d-printer-to-carve-out-worlds-first-full-sized-building/57565073'

The more reading I'm doing the more I think I want one of these

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SuperClown;832594 wrote: The more reading I'm doing the more I think I want one of these

I'm bringing my RepRap printer to the meeting on Tuesday, if you (or anybody) wants to check it out.

GiulianoM;832595 wrote: I'm bringing my RepRap printer to the meeting on Tuesday, if you (or anybody) wants to check it out.

Cool! What are you going to be printing?

Ripped Tide;832597 wrote: Cool! What are you going to be printing?

Anything small that would take less than about 20 minutes to print... :)

Reef related, there are some interesting frag plugs I might print a few of.

There might even be freebies. :)

Some large and complex parts can take hours to print, but once it lays down the first layer I don't really have to watch it.

GiulianoM;832595 wrote: I'm bringing my RepRap printer to the meeting on Tuesday, if you (or anybody) wants to check it out.

Cool.. I'm off on Tuesday's now I might have to see if I can make it to the meeting this time. Pending on location

SuperClown;832607 wrote: Cool.. I'm off on Tuesday's now I might have to see if I can make it to the meeting this time. Pending on location

It's at Steve Shindell's office building:

showthread.php

ARGH

I don't think I'll be able to bring the 3D Printer to the meeting tomorrow night.

It's not working well enough to really do a good demonstration...

Here's the problem:

The flat surface that the printer "prints" on has to be dead level across the plate with respect to the nozzle, to within about +/- 0.05mm to 0.10mm or so.

I have a nifty http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-sae-metric-digital-indicator-93295.html">digital indicator</a> that I got that helps me measure the difference in height.

The problem is that while I can get three corners of the plate to be flat, one corner is off by at least 0.65mm...

And when you're trying to print at a 0.2mm layer height, this means that the plastic won't stick to the surface and all you get is a glob of molten plastic instead of a nice neat line...

[B]BLARGH :cussing:[/B]

Out of all the stuff I've been reading about it that seems to be one of the more problematic parts of the fine tuning of the printer is getting uniform / level print bed. I was thinking about adding adjustable feet and levels for the bed as well as the reprap itself so once u get the bed dialed in it won't ran readjustment if u move iy

I decided I'm going to build the one by maker farm it's a repusa v2 linear from all the reading I've been doing it seems to be a good starting point for the "budget" concerned hobbyist. I just picked up a arduino atmega and a repps1.4 control board and motor drivers kit at a pretty good deal in comparison to what a lot of sites are selling the repps1.4

GiulianoM;837680 wrote: I may be on TV soon, discussing 3D Printing...

Stay tuned. :)

Cool lmk details I've sourced everything needed just waiting on hot end from the post man now see what u started lol

SuperClown;838040 wrote: Cool lmk details I've sourced everything needed just waiting on hot end from the post man now see what u started lol

What hot end?

I hear the Budaschnozzle is well made, and can be had in 0.5, 0.35, and 0.25 mm nozzles.

Mind. Blown.
<div class="gc_ifarem_title">Amazing 3D Printer - YouTube</div>

Yeah, that is cool... A cool $50k, no doubt.. :)

The powder acts as a support material, and they just fuse the powder together in layers.

That's definitely on the "professional" level of rapid prototyping.

Jay Leno uses something similar to recreate parts for his classic cars.

Back