90 gallon build.

NO LEAKS FROM THE RETURN LINE!

Im over the moon, I thought I had a bad one, union just wasn't tightened.

Got water in the tank, not much, I pumped half a can of water in the sump to test the retun. Now we wait for it to fill so I can check the drain lines.

Have the light sitting on the top, still have to skin, build canopy, build control panel for all controllers and all that good stuff.. getting there.. slowly but surely.
f965d8a83d60dacf46f8fa5c60c04f35.jpg
c9f42e418c0f44279556d04870146f0a.jpg

ITS ALIVE!!!

Small drip from the union connection, nothing some putty didn't fix, on the backside, can't see it..

Still have a lot of work to do. Anyone know how to program an Apex? LOL

I'm like a surgeon with a ReefKeeper, but apex's.. I have no clue.

Have to build the canopy out to house the light and get it the right distance off.
Anyone got a canopy they don't need? Hahaha
2e7f25e60f0ca38a531117ca9450075b.jpg

Last edited:
So, obviously this isn't it's state, just wanted to put the old canopy on there to raise the light fixture to check how much more the light pattern will spread out once it's a little higher.
93378eec5b5a3a7c36827c1f8acaa3e0.jpg

Loving this thread @drnecropolis 👍 you have such a cool history in the hobby! I’ve daydreamt about that in-the-wall tank so many times. Your new tank is going to be amazing. I’ve got one question about your stand. I built the stand for my 75g, and I was scared about the stand buckling under the weight. I added a lot of diagonal supports to help prevent that. Are you worried at all about that happening here? I love your design of only having the corner supports more. Simple always looks better!

Loving this thread @drnecropolis you have such a cool history in the hobby! I’ve daydreamt about that in-the-wall tank so many times. Your new tank is going to be amazing. I’ve got one question about your stand. I built the stand for my 75g, and I was scared about the stand buckling under the weight. I added a lot of diagonal supports to help prevent that. Are you worried at all about that happening here? I love your design of only having the corner supports more. Simple always looks better!
It actually has headers under the bottom and the legs actually go all the way to the floor.

It doesn't rack or anything, but when I skin it out, I'm using the prefab deco panels from home Depot, but going to also slap plywood under it, so it connects the top rack to the bottom.

It's two boxes that are braced out and legs connect them.

So, when I add the skin, it will bind it all together to eliminate any racking issues.

I hope

Thanks so much for the kind comments. I think I have a link in the thead somewhere that show a little on the in wall build.

Since the server got wiped, the OG thread is gone.

I had a handful of people help me do it..

John Roberts - he is the damn man. He knows builds in and out. Now sure if you know what SketchUp is, but when it was in beta, he had it all planned in 3d with dimensions on everything.

Barry Castle - The man built his entire house, by himself. The only thing he couldn't do alone was pour the basement and hang the roof trusses. My best friend, he was family. This is his old tank, I'm doing it for him. He was there for atleast 4 of my tank builds and several others we worked on. He has guided me through this and I swear, I can hear him point out errors that I might make and how to correct it. Rest in peace B Minus..

Sorry for going on and on.

Loving this thread @drnecropolis you have such a cool history in the hobby! I’ve daydreamt about that in-the-wall tank so many times. Your new tank is going to be amazing. I’ve got one question about your stand. I built the stand for my 75g, and I was scared about the stand buckling under the weight. I added a lot of diagonal supports to help prevent that. Are you worried at all about that happening here? I love your design of only having the corner supports more. Simple always looks better!
You're in Temple.. you're not far from me.. we should hook up one day and kick the BoBo as they say.

You're in Temple.. you're not far from me.. we should hook up one day and kick the BoBo as they say.
That would be fun man! No need to apologize; Barry sounds like he was a cool guy. I’m sorry to hear that he passed. I already checked that whole thread about the tank out. It was fantastic 😂 I’m familiar with sketchup! I do most of the work for my job in solidworks and inventor, but I’ve dabbled in a few other modeling softwares. It sounds like you’ve got it all covered with binding the sides with plywood! That’ll work out nicely 👌

That would be fun man! No need to apologize; Barry sounds like he was a cool guy. I’m sorry to hear that he passed. I already checked that whole thread about the tank out. It was fantastic I’m familiar with sketchup! I do most of the work for my job in solidworks and inventor, but I’ve dabbled in a few other modeling softwares. It sounds like you’ve got it all covered with binding the sides with plywood! That’ll work out nicely
I hope so, besides tightening bulkheads, stand stability is my next anxiety spot.

But, considering that premade stands are made from OSB and 1x3, I think she's good and sturdy..

I hope so, besides tightening bulkheads, stand stability is my next anxiety spot.

But, considering that premade stands are made from OSB and 1x3, I think she's good and sturdy..
You’ve got a point there. I’d rather trust something I made with my own materials than a prefab made out of twigs 😂

Ok, so update time..

Tank is up and running, have a few frags in there, nothing special, just some pink zoas and some gsp.

And as Art Spiegelman put it:

Here my troubles began.

So, mixing water for a WC, no biggie.. well, I've been super busy with work and home, eh.. it's mixing it will be fine for a few days..

Yeah, the water was 120 degrees. So, mag12 In a 5 gallon bucket for days is a bad thing.

Ok, well, let's look at this mp40 that took a dump on me.. took the wetside apart and cleaned it really well. What happens?

It works!!!

Yeah, then the dry side controller started smoking..

I mean.. a mp40, mp10 and a mag12 for return is enough flow for a 90, but I wanted my other 40 instead of the 10. "You can't always get what you want"

So, that's the update. Kinda pissed. Tapatalk is crapping out, so I have to switch to browser.. maybe I'll upload some pics.

But, in good news, water is good, little frags are doing great..

Anyone for anything that want to donate, I'm all game. LoL

-Ansley

So I just spent 45 minutes from getting through this entire thread. This was super entertaining thank you for sharing your story.

So I just spent 45 minutes from getting through this entire thread. This was super entertaining thank you for sharing your story.
Thank you so much.

Right now I'm in the middle of a dang diatom bloom that won't go away. I'm about to break out the turkey baster and blow all the rock and sand clean, skimmer will suck it out.. just a monumental task since I made the dang stand so tall. Still easier than deal with my I wall tank was..

Back