Heeeeelllllpppppp with No3 and Phos

Actually no, oxygen is 2nd only to fluorine in electronegativity (think craving electrons).

The reason NO3 works as an electron acceptor, has to do with maintaining an anaerobic environment in the reactor. Otherwise, oxygen will out-compete NO3 for electrons, so then no nitrate réduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, the water exiting the reactor will need to be re-oxygenated. Placing the output near a skimmer input, or high flow area, would be a good idea.

Méthanol doesn’t react with oxygen or nitrate, at least not directly.

Denitrifying bacteria can utilize methanol as an electron source by means of enzymes they produce.

The enzymes catalyze (drive) a réactions that make the methanol more usable as a ‘food’ and provide electrons in the process.

This process occurs through a series of steps during the bacteria’s metabolism.

My dénitrifier uses egg crate inside the reaction chamber. The bacteria then grow on the egg crate. Every few weeks, I remove the egg crate and shake off excess bacteria mass. The nutrients assimilated within their bodies are removed in the process of shaking off the bacteria. Quick & easy!

Should I use an adapter on the intake side and have airline tubing supplying it and then just use airline tubing on the export side with maybe some silicone around it?

That is more in line with my previous thoughts then. I must have pulled up the wrong chart in my haste.

So is the intent of the low flow to increase the residence time of the water, so the oxygen to be fully utilized and nitrate reduction can begin? ... basically just using low flow to create the anaerobic environment.

If that’s the case; what would be your thoughts on increasing the length so that the flow rate can be increased (regardless of cross sectional area)?

Also; is my understanding correct in that some CO2 will be formed in both the aerobic and anaerobic sections? If so, is the Aerobic section open to prevent the buildup of gas?

Thanks for answering all my questions. I wasn’t planning on investigating this until next week.

If the flow rate is higher and the reactor longer (and assuming my new understanding is correct), shouldn’t this increase efficiency as well as decrease the possibility of the bacteria forming biofilms that block flow.

...perhaps then we would just be limited by physical space in our sumps. But this could be countered by decreasing the cross-sectional area, which should have little to no effect on efficiency.

Will check out flow again when I get home tonight. For now though my Monti that I got the other week is not looking good as of about two days ago, but Z/P are fine . :0(

ALK is 8.324
Mag and cal still good

View attachment 9477
Ill replace that when you get the tank straight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Had to adjust flow a couple times, but starting to smell something so that’s good I guess LOL!

Still have not started vodka yet just to make sure bacteria has a really good hold

Yea, i don't either, but sometimes this hobby makes me want one again................. It isn't that bad.

What are your numbers looking like?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Very true! I am a saltwater alcoholic :eek:)

Alk is good and the only thing I have tested since I read there is no point in testing for nitrates for a week (with reactor running to get settled). BUT the reactor had too much flow at first, flow out of the manifold was off since too low I guess? So I raised it back up and have continued to dose the mb7, but not vodka yet. I shall test nitrates tom just for fun and let ya'll know!

I assume that there will still be a small drop in nitrates BEFORE I start vodka, or should it happen AFTER I start it? Is it bad if I wait too long?

Thanks!

update:

Sent off ati lab test 4 days ago so waiting on results for that.

Did test today on nitrates in tank water and water coming out of reactor and basically the same. (posting pics next, but not great ones) about 100 still.

BUT I have not added any vodka sugar or vinegar... plan on starting that today..

Alk is at like 8.122 so will add a bit of solution to raise

Sal is at 35ppt

Temp is at 79.4 currently

Tank
C5F6A652-C108-4D6E-83DC-0C474896FA5E.jpeg

Reactor output
E813104D-3670-4C74-9718-138906232A26.jpeg

DT (lot less algae!?)
DBE55C00-3526-4EE2-89D3-92A87DC3CAAD.jpeg

Did a good scrubbing and water change last at least a week ago if not two weeks. Maybe snails doing work? Dont think it’s the reactor?

Trying to read back up and figure out how much I should be dosing. I can find the regular vodka and vinegar and stuff for tanks, but hard to find if it’s different in a reactor or not?

Back