Heeeeelllllpppppp with No3 and Phos

OK, so I tested phos in the RODI container again and got .53 on regular Hannah phosphate low range tester
Should I go ahead and put a couple drops of phosphate RX in there to drop it down to 0 before I do another water change in a few days?
You can try, but in my opinion that water is unusable. I recommend a new ro membrane and di resin, maybe even add an additional second di unit. I use two di chambers to control mine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nitrates at 100 today so did another “big” water change, 40g, after tooth brushing and blowing off display tank rocks again

Is this dirty enough? LOL
B833C022-C191-4478-8C17-3530FE46CC24.jpeg

And just for fun I took a video, after turning the return pump back on, for return rate flow reference

But apparently it won’t let me put in a video

No biggie, I have two MP 40ws, and two 5000L per hour Chinese ones

That's pretty dirty. One thing you might try next time, leave the return pump running, put a clean filter sock in, then scrub the tank and blow all the rocks off, let the socks catch a lot of the debris. After the debris settles you can stir up the water again with a powerhead, you can do this a couple times before actually doing the water change, it'll help get more "crap" out of the water.

That's pretty dirty. One thing you might try next time, leave the return pump running, put a clean filter sock in, then scrub the tank and blow all the rocks off, let the socks catch a lot of the debris. After the debris settles you can stir up the water again with a powerhead, you can do this a couple times before actually doing the water change, it'll help get more "crap" out of the water.

Thanks!

that is actually what I usually do/been doing during WCs, so my theory was this try to keep the really bad stuff in one area so I can just suck it out..? I will take new filter socks and replace in about 10 more min after the "older" ones collect the crap from tank and blow off again.

Then I usually take baster and squirt rocks every day or 2..

Also, if you don’t want to do a water change... yet you still want to siphon up algae; another trick is you can use your water change hose to essentially do a water change into your own sump through the filter sock.

The water won’t leave your system, so you can essentially do this as long as you need. The filter sock will catch any large detritus and algae. It won’t get the dissolved components, but can help when things get bad (best with hair algae, but can be used for other outbreaks as well)

1B07FF5F-67F6-4687-8219-FFB7762BDF09.jpeg

Also, if you don’t want to do a water change... yet you still want to siphon up algae; another trick is you can use your water change hose to essentially do a water change into your own sump through the filter sock.

The water won’t leave your system, so you can essentially do this as long as you need. The filter sock will catch any large detritus and algae. It won’t get the dissolved components, but can help when things get bad (best with hair algae, but can be used for other outbreaks as well)

View attachment 9311

That must be some expensive paper.

View attachment 9311

I have seen that and it is awesome... but my sump is in basement and DT on 1st floor, soooooooooooo?

I'm telling you. A cheap maxjet 1200 zip tied to a piece of 1/2" pvc does a great job blowing off rocks.

You are right! gotta be easier than squeezing a turkey baster 1 million times lol

Make a portable temp sump from a 5 gallon bucket. The biggest expense would be a cheap pump. A bucket & lid, pvc & fittings, some hose and a pump. A valve on the return or drian lines will help you match the siphon rate to the pumps return depending on which has the higher flow. You should be able to slap it together for about $50.

Cut a hole in the lid to hold the sock. A couple 90's and pvc pipe and you've got a hang on siphon drain line the exits into the sock. Do the same with the hose and pipe connected to the pump in the bucket, returning to the opposite side on the display the your draining from. Once you match the flow you can blow off the rock as and stir everything up as long as you want.

I’ll lend you my denitritor if you want. It’s designed after Donovan’s on R2R. It will work. Slowly - but once it kicks in it will fix your NO3 issue. And that should equate to a manageable PO4

Hey! I’m actually headed up to Atlanta today Kinda at or near College Park. Are you anywhere close to there? If not, I was going to swing by Lowes on the way back and buy some stuff so I can try to build one

Hey! I’m actually headed up to Atlanta today Kinda at or near College Park. Are you anywhere close to there? If not, I was going to swing by Lowes on the way back and buy some stuff so I can try to build one

I'm 30 miles north of that - and we are on the way to the lake (wife's birthday - hoping to avoid the rain showers for a little bit).

I'm 30 miles north of that - and we are on the way to the lake (wife's birthday - hoping to avoid the rain showers for a little bit).
No problem. I will scope out what Lowes has. Any advice or recommendations as to what to def buy, skip, or what not?

pretty simple really - I went with 4" PVC - they sold 2' pieces so I bought 2 of them to use for the main bodies.

The end caps on top - I bought threaded "cleanout" type ends so I could service in the future.

on the bottom I used 2 of these - put one on each 2' piece. A piece to connect them together - and end caps to give you a flat surface so it can stand up on it's own.

You have to get a little creative to sort out the input - that depends on your pump or manifold you're going to run it off of etc.

pretty simple really - I went with 4" PVC - they sold 2' pieces so I bought 2 of them to use for the main bodies.

The end caps on top - I bought threaded "cleanout" type ends so I could service in the future.

on the bottom I used 2 of these - put one on each 2' piece. A piece to connect them together - and end caps to give you a flat surface so it can stand up on it's own.

You have to get a little creative to sort out the input - that depends on your pump or manifold you're going to run it off of etc.

Cool. I also saw that somebody use the almost kind of Y pipe looking for the bottoms so that it automatically has a piece connecting it.

I will be using my manifold since I have extra pressure I can use to go through it and it’s just sitting there and will be cheaper than buying another pump

Just bought the stuff to rig one up.

Will order all the bio filtration and stuff, other than rock, on Amazon tonight.

I don’t think there’s really any pressure inside so using drain line stuff shouldn’t be a problem hopefully.

No plastic nuts so having to shove and pinch the nipples things in.... Which sounds really funny LOL

What I got so far

49DE5950-5415-4078-9CB1-ADC76A793604.jpeg

Thinking actually about putting these on the bottom since they are flat. Even though it is going in my sump so won’t matter if it’s a little bit wiggly wobbly

6E52B98D-4993-4345-9F80-B9B70DC2A12F.jpeg

3 inch long tube’s and reducing 1 1/4 in the middle section

1F666110-6365-4037-B585-010219519832.jpeg

Got the wrong darn size threaded nipple things so again had to rig something up

So made sure to drill the outlet about an inch lower than the inlet. Inlet will be fed from manifold.

Plan on putting the same diameter tubing, just a smaller piece, coming out of outlet

FCBE2C92-4FDA-4A24-8D29-D3967C09AE1D.jpeg

Drilled a small hole on top, of what will be the inlet side, to squirt vodka/vinegar/sugar and stuff in

709C4D58-3D56-4742-8B73-A3F887E6958F.jpeg

So made sure to drill the outlet about an inch lower than the inlet. Inlet will be fed from manifold.

Plan on putting the same diameter tubing, just a smaller piece, coming out of outlet

View attachment 9367

Drilled a small hole on top, of what will be the inlet side, to squirt vodka/vinegar/sugar and stuff in

View attachment 9368
So I'm lost....what are you building?

Back