Is this good food for tangs?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
910Cyud.jpg
alt="" />

I picked up a yellow tang this weekend. So far he's not eating. I already had the sea chem but was recommended to buy the new life spectrum pellets. But he's not eating that either. After reading the ingredients they appear to be the same stuff. I know they are herbivores and these both seem to be protein based.

Suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's good as far as flaked food goes - I used it.

Was the fish eating in the store? If so, what was it eating?

You can try some nori attached to a rock with a rubber band (and eventually move it to a seaweed clip).

You will probably have better luck with frozen food like Larry's Reef Frenzy.

If he's picking at the rocks, he's eating - that's how they behave in the wild, they are grazers.

It's not unusual for fish to not eat for a few days after moving to a new environment. Be patient and observe (from afar - you may be intimidating him without realizing it.)

Do watch that your other tank inhabitants aren't picking on him as well. That can happen and can cause him not to eat well.

Jenn

I actually have reef frenzy but was told that was not that good for the tang. I'll try that tonight

He needs an algae clip and some seaweed , tangs are algae eaters they pick at the rocks but if you have a clean tank he will need seaweed sheets (nori)
He in time will likely accept some flake or pellet

Tangs are mainly grazers (hence my suggestion about nori attached to a rock), but they will eat meaty foods when they have the opportunity.

I suggested attaching the nori to a rock first because that mimics how they would find algae in the wild, the clip often goes unnoticed at first. Once they learn about algae on a clip they go nuts for it.

I'd try the frozen to get him eating then mix up the variety as he learns to accept prepared foods. The frozen will seem a little more like what he might find in the wild. Flakes or pellets don't look much like what they'd encounter in the wild.

Jenn

I feed my whole tank the version of Larry's that has a Mandarin (kind of weird) on it. The Mandarin doesn't touch it but the Yellow Tang loves both the meaty stuff and the seaweed in it. He loves the meaty bits more, actually. He's pretty fat and happy.

He didn't go for the frozen stuff tonight either. I'll have to keep a close eye on him

I really don't like autocorrect.....

The title is supposed to be " tangs" , not range....

GaJeep94YJ;1061301 wrote: I really don't like autocorrect.....

We understood, it happens to us all at some point :)

GaJeep94YJ;1061301 wrote: I really don't like autocorrect.....

Fixed

my tang doesnt eat flakes, i still feed it to my other fish. mysis and cyclops he eats.. and nori.. but after its been in the tank awhile and has gotten real soft. my tang prefer new substrate growth algae over the mass of algae on my black glass.

Back