Need a new calcium reactor Opinions

Thanks for the info OZ. If we get a few more we should have a good base line for DKH out of the reactor.

Joe

I just checked my effluent with an API test and read about 55 dkh. Seems really high, but it has not been adjusted for months, and tank is stable at 8 dkh and 550 ca. Sound weird? Maybe the API just isnt accurate at that level.

Woo thats high. Alright I need some more MRC numbers. What is you Ph in the unit and type of media?

Thanks Joe

Mine drips out at about 6.8 (probably around 6.3 in the reactor) I keep my effluent dKh at about 30 and it's so fast a drip it's darn near a stream for a very heavy SPS 450G tank. Bubble rate is a bit faster then 1 a second.

My ph is 6.6 i the chamber, and the media is small grain media like ARM, but I do not know rthe name brand. It was a commercial bulk product form somewhere.

Maybe I should check the dKh again with my Salifert?

Just curious, which controller are you using to control the delivery of your CO2? Has the probe been tested with the borax test of late? What was the reading for the controller's probe with the borax test? If the probe for the controller is off by 10%, it will have a 100 fold effect on hydrogen ion concentration, a huge iimpact on how well the acidified seawater will be able to dissolve the aragnite. I am currently driving a CR6 reactor (from MRC) that I can consistentliy keep calcium and alk in the 400 PPM Ca and 9-10 dKH alk range in a 180 SG reef tank with heavy hermatypc stony coral and clam pops. I go through ~ 10 lbs of the small ARM medium in 6 months, about how long a 20# tank of CO2 lasts.

Something to keep in mind, total surface area of the individual medium granules will directly affect dissolution rates, so that large single chunks will supply much smaller concentrations of calcium and bicarbonate than an equal weight of many small chunks under the same reactor conditions.

I not sure what the borax test is but I recalibrate it Sunday. I use Milwaukee Ph controller. My co2 always lasted about the same time as the media 6 months or so. I have never written it down.

Thanks Tom

Update I dropped the PH to 6.3 and this morning I tested the effluent and the dkh was 21 with lamotte.

I also raised the dkh of the tank by adding some baking soda. This morning tank was 11.2 so I will retest tomorrow morning.

Here is some of the input I got on RC I also posted in the Geo 618 thread but the response did not make much sines to me. I like clear answers.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1599132">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1599132</a>

Thanks Guys Joe.

I dont know man. Logic would tell me that a bigger reactor pushes more water through more media, thus more alk/ca it released into the water. THen, the water is dripped out, in my mind at a higher concentration of both alk and ca.

So my though is that the bigger reactor will help. But getting my mind around the issue is hard since my reactor is smaller (MR-2) and gets tremendous alk and ca readings. Maybe its the media...

I still am unsure why my effluent is so potent. My media is not mushing, my ph is reasonable, and I tested it 3 times with similar results. My stuff is the bomb, like pure coral in liquid form.

Maybe you should try a smaller media, or a mix of both? I have a bunch extra of the smaller media you can try if you want.

Just sell me your reactor. JK

So you use small media? What size is your main reactor unit?

Thanks Joe

My DKH on the effluent when I had my tank heavily stocked with SPS and clams was roughly 35 DKH and that kept my tank stable at 10 DKH. Not sure what it's at now, I'll check when I get home. Drip rate is that of a leaky faucet an bubble count is once a bubble almost hits the top another starts...sooo what ever that equals to, lol.

It is a standard MR2, according to the website the chambers are 4.5" I.D. x 18" tall. It is a 2 chamber, one being the main chamber, the second one is just a built in 2nd chamber.

Mine has the spray bar upgrade, which I wonder if it makes any difference...?

Here is the link:

http://www.myreefcreations.com/CR-2-Dual">http://www.myreefcreations.com/CR-2-Dual</a>

I see now it is rated up to 500 gallons! i'm not sure how they access this rating, but what is your GEO rated at?

glxtrix;309179 wrote: My DKH on the effluent when I had my tank heavily stocked with SPS and clams was roughly 35 DKH and that kept my tank stable at 10 DKH. Not sure what it's at now, I'll check when I get home. Drip rate is that of a leaky faucet an bubble count is once a bubble almost hits the top another starts...sooo what ever that equals to, lol.

Lee, you have the same reactor as me...

What media do you use? Does yours have the spraybar?

Looks like we are getting potent DKH readings, which is making our effluent rate need lower. I am really wondering where the spraybar works into this.. Is it really working, or just a a tiny piece of the puzzle?

I use the large Gen-X media, and yes I do have a spraybar with the panworld pressure rated pump. My last reactor which was a dual chamber DIY was running the same way. I did run it with small media though and a MAG2 but was getting similar results....actually before I had it dialed in, it was kicking 45 DKH! My corals were plenty happy though :)

As far as the spraybar helping, one could theorize yes....but if it actually does work....not too sure. I bought my reactor with it though and I like it....actually love my reactor! Thanks again MRC ;)

Mine is on a mag 2 right now as well.

I'm starting to lean towards a media change, Joe, before you spend too much money. I'd say a smaller media, or a mix of 2.

I dont know much about the GenX, but my stuff seems to get the same results as Lee's.

I agree Lee that I love my MRC. This thing is built like a tank and works great. I even took it to MRC for servicing when I first bought it and they gave it a tune up. I got it used at Saltwater City for a steal! I just wish I had the panworld pump, but only because the mag is a little noisy.

The panworld is virtually silent....I have to put my hand near it to see if it's on. And I say near it because that little sucker gets HOT!

I just looked at the gen x media and it looks really chunky. Is it or are there different sizes? MAybe the size of teh media isnt as important as the grade? Mine gets similar results as Lees, but is quite small.

Its large media, just like how ARM makes large media. I bought this stuff because people were giving it great reviews for heavily stocked tanks. Seems to be working well for me.

Good idea. I see your effluent packs a punch as well. I'm thinking that is where Joe needs to go.

I've kinda already posted it, but here is mine in your format:

PH of effluent(before 2nd chamber) is 6.7 (range for the controller is 6.6-6.7)

drop rate= just under 1/sec

DkH= ~55 (API)

Unknown brand fine media

MRC CR-2, 4.5 x 18" main chamber, same size secondary, on Milwaukee SMS122, mag2 recirc, MJ400 feed, BRS ph probe. Been running on current media for ~6 months.

Dropping into drain section for maximum CO2 dispersion (theoretically).

Back