Need a new calcium reactor Opinions

Also, remember that your reactor is meant to maintain your levels rather than raise them.
I don't understand that statement. If it will only maintain your levels then why are some dkh levels in some tanks higher than others when they did not start out that way? My reactor can raise my alk levels ?

Its not that it cant raise your levels, its that it is designed to only maintain them.

If you set it to slowly raise your dkh in your tank, it will do so, but it wont stop when they hit perfect levels, it will just keep on going until your tank crashes. You can use it to raise levels, but you will need to constatnly adjust it until you hit your ideal parameters, then find the equilibrium point.

grouper therapy;309789 wrote: I don't understand that statement. If it will only maintain your levels then why are some dkh levels in some tanks higher than others when they did not start out that way? My reactor can raise my alk levels ?

Exactly what Derek says:

Derek_S;309820 wrote: Its not that it cant raise your levels, its that it is designed to only maintain them.

If you set it to slowly raise your dkh in your tank, it will do so, but it wont stop when they hit perfect levels, it will just keep on going until your tank crashes. You can use it to raise levels, but you will need to constatnly adjust it until you hit your ideal parameters, then find the equilibrium point.

Joe
I would throw some #s your way but would not mean much because I drip kalk 24/7. My drip rate is only 1 drop every 1.5 seconds out of my calcium reactor. You said something earlier abut the efficiency of you reactor. That could be an issue also that we are all overlooking, (not brand related ) but maybe setup, co2 recovery related . Just other ideas?

It will only raise your tanks dkh to its (the Reactors) capacity whether or not that crashes your tank is dependent upon several variables. As the one tuning the reactor you thereby control it's capacity up to the maximum.

grouper therapy;309889 wrote: It will only raise your tanks dkh to its (the Reactors) capacity whether or not that crashes your tank is dependent upon several variables. As the one tuning the reactor you thereby control it's capacity up to the maximum.

That's risky logic. Set your levels by dosing and maintain them with a calcium reactor and you'll be more stable and safer.

grouper therapy;309908 wrote: I thought the reactor was dosing?

1. Set your parameters by dosing calcium chlordie and sodium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate.
2. Adjust your calcium reactor to maintian these levels.

You can</em> use a calcium reactor to raise your levels, but that's not the proper way to do it. Here is why.

A calcium reactor is going to raise your calcium and carbonates in an equal ratio. If they're not already balance(with magnesium also), guess what, they'll still be unbalanced at a higher level. This will only cause precipitation to accelerate.

A calcium reactor is intended for maintaining levels because we don't put them on our systems because we like adjusting things. It's a device meant for stability and as a work-saver. It's so we don't have to dose two part every day. If you're playing chase the numbers with a reactor, you're wasting your time and stressing out your tank.

I understand now. It is not used to<span style="color: black"><u> balance</u></span> your cal/ alk levels ,the dosing does that but it will raise your already balanced levels and maintain them. Got it!

Alright I tested the dkh of the tank and it increased some maybe .07dkh.

I have plan of action. Others here posted that using small media with a PH around .6.6 they had good numbers. So what I plan to do is change my large media in the 2nd chamber to small media. The PH in the 2nd chamber is 6.6/6.7 going in and 6.7 heading out. So in theory it should help since the PH is similar to what you guy have in your main chamber.

I also disused with others why we use large media and the consensus was that the manufactures suggest it to because it is easier to circulate water threw it. Basically it allows them to use a smaller pump and helps with even circulation throwout the media. This make since to me because it would take a larger pump to force water threw the tightly packed smaller media. Just some food for thought.

I thought about changing the media in my 1st chamber but thought I would keep it simple and try this first. Going this route I do not have to worry about if my pump is large enough or if some small particulate form the small media may clog my unit. I think the pump could handle it but will give this a shot first.

Joe

Derek_S;309820 wrote: Its not that it cant raise your levels, its that it is designed to only maintain them.

Well said sir.

Back