Ok I am finally done...

brandon.....that rock work looks terrible!!!!

hahhaa....just kidding, I love it! can't wait to see it fully stocked......

triggerhappy8;57445 wrote: OK OK, this thread has gone way too far. I have built a custom canopy before. I am pretty ok with woodworking. NO MDF WITH MOISTURE!!! NO NO!! Outside of that, I can help you if you need. Let me know.

Someone should hold a canopy/stand workshop. Everyone bring their own materials... tools all in 1 locale... a couple guys with know-how to host.

Bet you'd get a lot of comers.

~Linda

great... just what we need.... a room full of "squares"

HA!!

lol... okay sorry...

lol

Brandon... I'm no woodworking expert, but if you need a hand... just let me know. (I'm not too far from Lawrenceville)

tsciarini;57454 wrote: great... just what we need.... a room full of "squares"

HA!!

lol... okay sorry...

lol
I think I pulled something gagging from this...

Wait a minute. That's a picture from a magazine ad! Brandon, when are your really going to set your tank up?

What's wrong with showing off your tank! Here's mine (J/K):
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
57509=3929-15305120_6651.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
57509=3929-15305120_6651.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="15305120_6651.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

i'll ask my dad to see if he can get you a sheet of finishing plywood (the kind that BIG D used on his 180 gall the vertical striped kind, i am almost sure he could get it cheap or for free let me ask him tomarrow

Nano_Reefer92;57773 wrote: i'll ask my dad to see if he can get you a sheet of finishing plywood (the kind that BIG D used on his 180 gall the vertical striped kind, i am almost sure he could get it cheap or for free let me ask him tomarrow

That would be awsome... Ya I think the stand is not long for the world.. one good spill (and we all have them with a reef tank) and the thing could be shot!!!

You want some really nice, prefinished oak plywood and piano hinges?
Enough for both the stand and canopy?

PM me.
I'll deliver it to your door, as soon as Wednesday afternoon.
Lemme know. Seriously. It's yours!

All you have to do is keep my cat and tank company for a week and it's yours. :)

Here is a picture of the canopy I built on my first tank (10 ga). I was in my sophmore year of college and had no money. I think I spent about $100. I used nice cedar and decent stain. The $100 included ballasts, bulbs, and wiring for all custom lighting. I later added a bottom trim too.
57811=3937-side nano.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
57811=3937-side nano.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="side nano.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Before you ask how i did that so cheaply, here is a picture of the lighting scheme. 2x13W 7600K bulbs, 1x 50/50 20W bulb, and 1x18W 10K PC that is in the lid (not shown). Necessity is the mother of invention. Not the best ever, but it did ok. I later added fans and bottom trim.
57812=3938-side nano.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
57812=3938-side nano.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="side nano.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Crap, wrong one, sorry...
57813=3939-hood3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
57813=3939-hood3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="hood3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

nm
57814=3940-Copy of hood4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
57814=3940-Copy of hood4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Copy of hood4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
57814=3941-hood4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
57814=3941-hood4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="hood4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

triggerhappy8;57811 wrote: Here is a picture of the canopy I built on my first tank (10 ga). I was in my sophmore year of college and had no money. I think I spent about $100. I used nice cedar and decent stain. The $100 included ballasts, bulbs, and wiring for all custom lighting. I later added a bottom trim too.

Ok you just got hired... Hope you work cheap!

Big D;57753 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">It's looking good Brandon... you too Mark! </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">As far as the canopy, it could be done pretty cheap depending on the wood and trim level. A nice sheet of furniture grade ply shouldn't be more than $40 depending on what you wanted. As far as the stand, you could always skin it in something else to match or just build a new a one from scratch.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">David</span>

So............ David

When ARE you hosting a workshop for building stands/canopies? hmmmmmm?

I'll supply the beer!!!

~Linda

(rethinking that .... beer.... power tools)

I'll supply the lemonade & cookies!!

Big D;57854 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Me?... I'm really not that great at working with wood. :D </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">If everything goes as planned (it never does), I'm going to try to build some raised panel doors for my stand today so I can actually take a picture of it. :doh: Who knows, maybe start on the canopy tomorrow (I'll prpobably still be working on the doors). :roll: </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">David</span>

need an apprentice?

Darn (Newnan) ... never mind. :'(

Back