Ok I am finally done...

I am with Big D. Plywood is the way to go. Mine is plywood built and the sectionals are about as strong as it gets. When was the last time you saw subflooring warp compared to hardwood flooring?

My stand is plywood wood with a oak veneer. The canopy is oak. Both can be stained a varity of colors. I used cherry, but it is not as deep a cherry as my desk because they used cherry veneer.

I applied two coats of stain and several coats of varnish. You can buy varnish for marine applications but I am not sure if you really need that as long as you keep everything clean and wiped down. I have never used it on the 3 stands that I built. The regular varnish worked fine. Again I used several coats to protect the would. Stain and varnishing is easy.

As you know will get the structural strength from the frame in the stand. The plywood is just the cover. I would say must home built stands are over engineered but that is okay. I know mine is but I sleep good at night.

Hood are a little different. Searching the internet for hood designs will drive you to drink. There are only a thousand ways to build such a box.

Decide what you want. What lights are you using. Where are the ballast and reflectors etc. Do you want fans on the hoods. Do you need or want from to put your arm into the tank through the hood. How does it open?

A hood can have frame with a plywood cover. Inside is what counts.

A sheet of one side sanded plywood is all you need.

Some piano hinge.

Table saw, miter saw, drill, hole saws and presto. You can stain the canopy to match your old stand or you can veneer a 1/4 plywood over the old stand and stain all with minwax to match. Minwax makes three or four stains in the cherry/rose colors.

Add a couple plinth blocks, rosettes and fluted casing and you have a poorman's Big D set up.

No muss, no fuss, inexpensive and a few hours of time.

And BTW I would put a piece of sanded/stained one side sanded plywood up against any stained hardwood the only difference is the grain.

<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: blue;">Loren W.</span></span>

Alright, this is definately hitting the point of too many cooks in the kitchen. Brandon, if you want my help, let me know when you need me through pm or calling (770-713-3208). If not, it sounds like you have plenty of other options. See you at the BBQ.

For the record, that post was not supposed to come across as sour grapes for people disagreeing with me or not wanting to help any more. Brandon is my favorite member so far and I would definately love to help by devoting a weekend to pimp out his tank. It was supposed to read more as, you have a ton of options and opinions on how it should be done. Take your pick on what you want done for your tank and let me know if you need my help. I will be more than happy to lend any 'expertise' that I can give.

triggerhappy8;58525 wrote: Alright, this is definately hitting the point of too many cooks in the kitchen. Brandon, if you want my help, let me know when you need me through pm or calling (770-713-3208). If not, it sounds like you have plenty of other options. See you at the BBQ.

Wow, I did not know I had this many favors outstanding! ;) J/K

Craig, I will call you when I get ready to go...

I will snal a picture of the current stand and the furniture that I would like it to match... I am very skilled in using the diagram software like Flyingarmy and some others. What I am thinking is a stand with two doors but no center beam for the doors. I do not know if that is possible but I would like to not have to manuver the sump/fuge around a center beam in the front. I want the stand to come up and have trim that covers the tank molding so that the stand and tank all look like on piece. I would like the canopy to open in the front (Does not matter how) and have enough access to place my arm in without removing the canopy. The lighting is going to be T5 so height is not really as much of a concern. The canopy can open in the back to allow for good gas exchange and maybe have a hold for a fan in it.

Ok that is all that is on my wish list. I am in court for the rest of the week so I will meet up with anyone that is going to the BBQ and chat a bit then. I would like to get this done in the next 2 weeks before the tank has any livestock in it.

Thanks again ya'll!!!!

Ok, I think I am finally ready to move forward. I am going to have the wood brought over by John this weekend if he is available. Who is REALLY down to help me with this? Can it be built in one day? We are busy tomorrow as a family and I would have liked to do the ARC white water trip on the 4th so I am figuring if we can take two sundays to do it (one to build and one to stain) I can get it all done and then move the tank over and be done with all of this. I am just amazed that they tank appears to have cycled in two weeks! I am going to foul up the water just to make sure but I am kind of at an impass till I can get this stand and canopy done. Please PM me if you are interested in helping....

Back