Ok I am finally done...

triggerhappy8;57874 wrote: Brandon,
Do you have the tools to do it? Miter saw, clamps, table vise, beer?

Cameron is right, Beer I am all set on... the rest, I am pretty SOL on. I might be able to borrow those things from another NICE reefer or a friend.

Xyzpdq0121;57910 wrote: Cameron is right, Beer I am all set on... the rest, I am pretty SOL on. I might be able to borrow those things from another NICE reefer or a friend.

I know a homebuilder who has tools....

Linda Lee;57911 wrote: I know a homebuilder who has tools....

Can that homebuilder help build a canopy and stand better then most home builders build houses?!? ;)

Seriously, I would be very thankful!!!

Miter saw and clamps are the two essentials (outside of the beer of course). Otherwise you will have unsightly seams where the wood goes together. When are you planning on trying to do this?

Xyzpdq0121;57945 wrote: Can that homebuilder help build a canopy and stand better then most home builders build houses?!? ;)

o.k. lets go easy on the homebuilders. We are already beat up. Do I hear Clarke Howard talking in the background?

Oh yeah, I forgot to add a good drill to the list. I have the drill, but we might need to stop by HD for a few drill bits. Also, are you wanting to mount fans in this canopy. If so we also need a hole saw bit. I might actually have an extra fan.

Xyzpdq0121;57945 wrote: Can that homebuilder help build a canopy and stand better then most home builders build houses?!? ;)

He builds a mighty tight house, but doesn't claim to be a trim carpenter

tools abound in our garage though

ramone;57966 wrote: o.k. lets go easy on the homebuilders. We are already beat up. Do I hear Clarke Howard talking in the background?

No you hear an appraiser talking! ;) I see some of the work that is performed and some of "workmanship" that goes into building a home in 30 days.

Nothing against a home builder because I know a few good ones but I see ALOT of bad ones!!!

Xyzpdq0121;58023 wrote: No you hear an appraiser talking! ;) I see some of the work that is performed and some of "workmanship" that goes into building a home in 30 days.

Nothing against a home builder because I know a few good ones but I see ALOT of bad ones!!!

I live in one of those *badly-built-newer-homes* and sometimes it's tuff living with a homebuilder who DOES build a quality product as he constantly goes around saying "omg-look-at-THAT" and tossing more expletives at the builder.

But... cut the builders some slack. They're not building on their own time schedule. Gotta meet the deadlines of the developers. That's where the real beef should lie, IMHO, @#$%& developers. ('course... with MY home... the developer and the builder are one and the same... so... we'll continue to toss expletives @ him.)

PM me if you're house hunting and want the name of this particular builder/developer... and do mega walk-throughs with mega punch-lists before you buy a home from him. He's still putting in subdivisions in Cobb County (and probably elsewhere).

~L

Can you post a pic of the MDF stand that the tank is currently on before I step onto my woodworking soap box?

<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: blue;">Loren W.</span></span>

Okay. You've got the tools, the experience, the plans, the beer and the gumption....

But do you have the materials?

I've got all the primo plywood you need, and I need to be rid of it.

And Big D, my cat is the epitome of easy going, laid back and slack....
after he has had his tuna for dinner.

I would recommend going away from plywood unless you plan on painting it. Hardwood is a little more expensive but holds up to moisture better and looks amazing if you get a good stain. JMO.

Ya I would like it to be stained.... It is in my home office and the furnature in there is Cherry wood... But see how much I know about woodworking, can you stain plywood? The price is free so that you can not beat but if it is not going to work for what I need it to then....

Brandon...
I can help you out if your still looking!

If memory serves me correctly, you saw my setup. I have pretty much all the tools to build a nice stand/canopy!

Xyzpdq0121;58224 wrote: Ya I would like it to be stained.... It is in my home office and the furnature in there is Cherry wood... But see how much I know about woodworking, can you stain plywood? The price is free so that you can not beat but if it is not going to work for what I need it to then....

The simple answer is yes, you can</em> stain plywood. However, it is going to look like exactly that, stained plywood. I am sticking by recommendation to spend some money and get a hardwood like oak. This is going to be a focal point in your house and you don't want it looking hokey. You will get a much richer cherry finish and a much</em> better looking grain pattern. Plus you get the added peace of mind that it isn't going to swell up or warp due to moisture.

By the way, on a side note, I found a decent canopy plan that should not be that hard to make and will work out nicely I think. Do think about how you want this to be propped though.

Ya natural wood might be best. I just need to look in to prices.

I want it to open in the front. It can be piano hinge ot just doors, it really does not matter to me. Doors on a 36" tank mike look hokey though.

Thanks for all the help guys... I will be calling the guys with tools when we get a plan together and the wood worked out! I smell an ARC group project!! ;)

Xyzpdq0121;58277 wrote: Ya natural wood might be best. I just need to look in to prices.

I want it to open in the front. It can be piano hinge ot just doors, it really does not matter to me. Doors on a 36" tank mike look hokey though.

Thanks for all the help guys... I will be calling the guys with tools when we get a plan together and the wood worked out! I smell an ARC group project!! ;)

If it ends up being an ARC group project, please count me in.

:D

Back