Red Bugs, Interceptor Rx

Have you ever wondered why you can buy metronidazole, kanamycin, neomycin, tetracycline off the shelf at petsmart or LFS? They are all antibiotics only available to humans by Rx.

I was told the antibiotics for use in fish tanks are available for retail purchase because they are below a certain % pure by weight. I think the percentage is 60% or so.

When I imported discus (FW fish), I was able to legally buy 100% pure antibiotics, but I had to sign and fax in a non-diversion agreement to my Vendor, which basically said I would only use it for my own fish and not sell or otherwise distribute it to anyone else.
Dave

ares;324945 wrote: I have no clue what malicious things you could do with interceptor, if its a poison or a pleasure drug(somehow I doubt it) or whatever else might make a person skeptical to find a single tablet of it...

not like he stole it or anything...

If you give it to an animal that already is infested w/ heartworms, it will kill it from what I understand. That is the 'catastrophic' end result of interceptor being used improperly.

ares;324945 wrote: I dont see what is illegal about this... veterinarians are animal doctors arent they? not just dogs and cats, but that can easily cover fish and corals. granted, I wouldnt bring nemo in if he got ich... but still.

any liability that the vet may take on by prescribing it for a person seems totally irrelevent to us... if they give it to us, then we have obtained it legally. its good to know that a vet will give it to you. I have no clue what malicious things you could do with interceptor, if its a poison or a pleasure drug(somehow I doubt it) or whatever else might make a person skeptical to find a single tablet of it...

not like he stole it or anything...

You are exactly right. He obtained it legally from his vet. All risks in this transaction have been assumed by the vet. But they are just as likely, and just as within thier right to say "no, I cant give you interceptor for anything but a dog or cat", and that would be legally proper. However, it is illegal to acquire it from anyone but a licensed vet, and that is why it is not permitted to discuss or advertise for it here. Dustin did nothing wrong, but is misinformed on some of his claims.

ericmcj31;324950 wrote: If you give it to an animal that already is infested w/ heartworms, it will kill it from what I understand. That is the 'catastrophic' end result of interceptor being used improperly.

I doubt the FDA (who is labels and made this drug prescription) is very concerned with the effects on dog with parasites. I would be willing to guess there is some dangerous effects to humans should it be taken.

I deal with the FDA on a daily basis, one example:

We import special (wall) paint, 100% waterproof, yet semipermeable yada yada yada.
FDA pulled one of our containers and questioned whether those are foodsave.
HECK NO, those are meant to coat the inside of special chemical tank rooms.
Not what they wanted to hear - we had to get them FDA approved "not for human consumption", well a WALL PAINT should never be for human consumption.

Just an example how the FDA thinks...

Robb

LilRobb;324956 wrote: I deal with the FDA on a daily basis, one example:

We import special (wall) paint, 100% waterproof, yet semipermeable yada yada yada.
FDA pulled one of our containers and questioned whether those are foodsave.
HECK NO, those are meant to coat the inside of special chemical tank rooms.
Not what they wanted to hear - we had to get them FDA approved "not for human consumption", well a WALL PAINT should never be for human consumption.

Just an example how the FDA thinks...

Robb

Silly me, I always thought they wanted approval for things that are intended FOR human consumption. I guess the gasoline pumps need new labeling.

I'm confused (go figure), so if Jeremy or somebody else can help me understand this antibiotics thing. If I need antibiotics for me, I need a prescription in order to get the medicine from a pharmacy, correct?

jmaneyapanda;324953 wrote: You are exactly right. He obtained it legally from his vet. All risks in this transaction have been assumed by the vet. But they are just as likely, and just as within thier right to say "no, I cant give you interceptor for anything but a dog or cat", and that would be legally proper. However, it is illegal to acquire it from anyone but a licensed vet, and that is why it is not permitted to discuss or advertise for it here. Dustin did nothing wrong, but is misinformed on some of his claims.

In my very first post I mentioned only the issues a Vet could face when selling Interceptor for use other than what the product is labeled for, and nothing regarding the person that got it.

If reefkeepers are able to obtain Interceptor from their Veterinarians, it is done for us as a couresty and not as an obligation because of the legal ramifications already mentioned. But posting about it on an internet bulletin board could help lose us this privilege really fast because it does nothing but publicize the practice. Let a Veterinarian undergo sanctions for this courtesy and see how long it is until no one can get it this way any more. Bad news travels fast.

This topic is best handled privately rather than public posts listing how you got it, prices paid, etc.
Dave

mysterybox;324979 wrote: I'm confused (go figure), so if Jeremy or somebody else can help me understand this antibiotics thing. If I need antibiotics for me, I need a prescription in order to get the medicine from a pharmacy, correct?

Correct. It's prescription only for a reason.

Unless of course you want to follow Jeremy's link and dose yourself. Who needs a doctor anyways?

Acroholic;324984 wrote: This topic is best handled privately rather than public posts listing how you got it, prices paid, etc.
Dave

And how is that done? If he had posted "I can get Interceptor RX, PM me for details" how fast would that thread have been shut down because yall would have assumed it was being obtained illegally.?

au01st;324997 wrote: And how is that done? If he had posted "I can get Interceptor RX, PM me for details" how fast would that thread have been shut down because yall would have assumed it was being obtained illegally.?

Amen brother. By the way, do you like fishsticks?

Mods, PLEASE close this thread. My intention was to post helpful information for folks (like me) dealing with cyanobacteria in their reef tanks.

Instead, people have to jump on the Love To Hate bandwagon and start jabbering off at the mouth like a bunch of politicians.

If you need Interceptor, find it on your own. That's what I did.

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD.

mysterybox;324979 wrote: I'm confused (go figure), so if Jeremy or somebody else can help me understand this antibiotics thing. If I need antibiotics for me, I need a prescription in order to get the medicine from a pharmacy, correct?

Ralph, if you know what illness you have, what medication will combat it, at what doses, and wish to use livestock antibiotics to treat yourself, you could do so, using the links I provided. However, most people, myself included, arent willing to risk our lives like that. As such, we rely on MDs to prescribe us meds, which they have diagnosed for an illness, and which thge meds are labelled for at appropriate doses.

It seems that some people have got a little bent out of shape about this whole thing. Here are the facts, and they are proven to be so:

Interceptor is a prescription medication which someone can only legally acquire from a vet. Vets may be very hesitant to prescribe it for redbugs, because it is off label, and they are risking their license and livlihood in doing so. Mentioning sale/trade/commerce of it here is against forum rules, and the mods will moderate if done so (as Bud has rightly warned and done earlier in this thread). If you have redbugs, and wish to acquire intrerceptor for it, contact your vet, or acquire somewhere other than on this forum, as it is clearl;y stated in the forum rules that this is not permitted (as it is illegal).

Rededge- you are amazing. But you do speak the truth.:D

Instead, people have to jump on the Love To Hate bandwagon and start jabbering off at the mouth like a bunch of politicians.

I think people who like to make up their own "facts" (penicillin is available over the counter? really?) as they go along should just sit back and read, not type

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

ok thanks! so basically antibiotics is available for livestock purchases only OTC, but for humans, it's prescription only.

au01st;324997 wrote: And how is that done? If he had posted "I can get Interceptor RX, PM me for details" how fast would that thread have been shut down because yall would have assumed it was being obtained illegally.?

I had redbugs in my system. I researched it, found out how other reefers treated it, and did the same thing. A Google search under "redbugs reef" gave me all the info I needed.

mysterybox;325048 wrote: ok thanks! so basically antibiotics is available for livestock purchases only OTC, but for humans, it's prescription only.

Although they have the same drugs, they are not the same medications (by dosages, compositions, etc). Hence, they are marketed, packaged, and sold differently.

Acroholic;325049 wrote: I had redbugs in my system. I researched it, found out how other reefers treated it, and did the same thing. A Google search under "redbugs reef" gave me all the info I needed.

That's avoiding the point I brought up. He chose to treat with Interceptor, obtained it legally from a vet, and let us all know that if you go be straight forward and honest, they may just give it to you. He was jumped on because the vet may have broken some rules, apparently. How would asking how to take care of red bugs been handled via PM? You were clearly making reference to the drug that was obtained, and then when I asked specifically how it could have been better handled via PM, you didn't answer.

RedEDGE2k1;324770 wrote: A head's up, I called my local vet and just straight-up told her why I needed Interceptor (red bugs on my SPS corals) and she had no problem with selling me one Interceptor tablet (good for almost 400g of water).

So, if you need the medication for your tank, it's pretty easy to get if you're honest.

-Dustin

Good info, but i knew what was going to happen as soon as I read it...and after reading all the post, Bingo.

au01st;325094 wrote: That's avoiding the point I brought up. He chose to treat with Interceptor, obtained it legally from a vet, and let us all know that if you go be straight forward and honest, they may just give it to you. He was jumped on because the vet may have broken some rules, apparently. How would asking how to take care of red bugs been handled via PM? You were clearly making reference to the drug that was obtained, and then when I asked specifically how it could have been better handled via PM, you didn't answer.

I received a PM from Dustin yesterday asking how to to obtain some Interceptor. I suggested he try his Veterinarian via PM. My first post was only a suggestion to not publicize his source because our Vets are doing us a courtesy that could have negative consequenses for them.

Does this answer the question?

Back