skinning a 2x4 stand

Also I wonder of the 3" screws are too long. I have to go through the width of the 2x4 (1 1/2").. But how deep onto the adjacent 2x4? Another 1 1/2" of screw might be too much. Idk.

I was looking at 1/4" oak ply. It was very smooth (and affordable)

Edit:
porpoiseaquatics;890018 wrote: LOL....dude...I didn't say that I'd build it for you!!! I'm just offering space, some knowledge and some tools.:thumbs:

We all know how that would end :)

You can countersink the screws by pre drilling. 1 1/2" of screw would no necessarily be to much but the longer the screw, the easier they are to sheer off.

I will have access to all kinds of drill bits. That's one thing I'm not too worried about. On the box of screws it says predrilling isn't necessary, but I was planning on drilling pilot holes already. As for sinking te screws, I'm not worried about that. I'm not sure why it is necessary on the top and bottom frame which will be covered with ply anyway? Still, it will be easy to do. I am kind of worried about making a straight cut through ply. Dylan has a circular saw I can borrow, I guess there is a technique for guiding it in a straight line? Other than drawing a line and following it. The oak ply isn't tooo expensive.. But it's like $25 or 30 that I don't want to spen twice. I should be able to get all three sides out of one sheet.

JDavid;890032 wrote: I will have access to all kinds of drill bits. That's one thing I'm not too worried about. On the box of screws it says predrilling isn't necessary, but I was planning on drilling pilot holes already. As for sinking te screws, I'm not worried about that. I'm not sure why it is necessary on the top and bottom frame which will be covered with ply anyway? Still, it will be easy to do. I am kind of worried about making a straight cut through ply. Dylan has a circular saw I can borrow, I guess there is a technique for guiding it in a straight line? Other than drawing a line and following it. The oak ply isn't tooo expensive.. But it's like $25 or 30 that I don't want to spen twice. I should be able to get all three sides out of one sheet.

That's what the trim work is for..lol

If you say so lol.

Saturay I plan to have The stand built, minus trim and paint. Heath, pictures Saturday. I know what you're thinking.. "two days?! I can't wait two days...!"

Hang in there buddy.

heathlindner25;890017 wrote: come on man I'll look at some pictures of 2 by 4s...lol

I'll do you one better. This is the tank. It needs some love. It was neglected by it's previous owner :)
Lol...
86FFF873-B7E0-461A-AE31-EB2D3B67D6D3-632-000000683E4EF1FE_zps47aea959.jpg
alt="" />

Lol I know. To the previous owner: I'm just kidding.

I don't think it's scratched at all! It's a beautiful tank. Just got some calcium all over it.

Home Depot will cut the plywood for you. It's not always the cleanest cut, but it will be straight. Just make sure you have the measurements you want with you. They are generally very helpful and the first one or two cuts are usually free.

Yeah, but I have to cut out the door anyway. I might get them to go ahead and cut it to the right width. That would only be 3 cuts. I can always file off the edges if it's not clean.

Btw, Heath: unrelated question. See that light in the pic? It's just like the one I got from you except PC supplementsinstead of T5. It was gonna be a fixer-up project, but I kind of gave up when I couldn't get the glass over the MH lamp to slide out. Salt creep has it locked in. Besides that, the moonlights need to be replaced (or soldered if that is a possible fix) and the bulbs need to be changed. And it needs a clean. LMK if you are interested in fixing/selling it.

Holy crap this is harder than I thought it would be.
DBD296F5-E25F-45C3-B3F5-9CC115479090-1310-000001C3415F1A8E_zpsaf7ee80b.jpg
alt="" />
793CC3D4-A307-45D5-9912-637F8B20418C-1310-000001C348C9E7A9_zpsa06bd3a0.jpg
alt="" />
C50B721F-4214-40D7-A5D9-D09C2354F893-1310-000001C354A30B08_zps90c9cb31.jpg
alt="" />
5B8487C5-399A-44BA-A109-9A3D0988DB42-1310-000001C35B2BD215_zps403ff75c.jpg
alt="" />

Been working inside due to the rain. I'm hoping that skinning the stand and finishing it will be much easier than building the frame by myself. Dims will
Come out to 25x 24 5/6 x 38. Top and bottom was easy enough but I split the first corner piece just now. Try again tomorrow. I need some clamps or something. Problem is I put the screws to the top
And bottom of the frame dead center

Again...take your time. Rushing only causes mistakes. That's a pretty good stab at a pocket hole. Maybe a little deeper. Keep it up, it's going fine.

I'm almost done with the frame now. Couple screws left. Started noticing that in a couple place is looks lie the screws pushed room in between some of the 2x4s that make the sides of the stand. You can see thought the gaps... About 1/16 of an inch wide, and you can see the screws coming out of one board an going in another. I tried turning the screws more to get it to

Edit: Pull the gap close. Didn't work. So essentially there would be a lot of weight on a few screws instead of the vertical 2x4's.... Idk what to do about it. Start over.

If you want to make the drive and buy a sheet of 3/4" plywood, I will help you build a stand one day next week. Free of charge.

F9361DF3-C532-4DB6-B5B4-0AA7765A3413-123-0000002483E9FB8C_zpsbdb10a13.jpg
alt="" />

Edit:
grouper therapy;891410 wrote: If you want to make the drive and buy a sheet of 3/4" plywood, I will help you build a stand one day next week. Free of charge.

That's a nice offer. Maybe.

Edit: Just realized the front left corner piece is upside down in the pic (the one w the clamps. Lol. It's just sitting there, it's not screwed in yet.

Dallas is 1 1/2 hour drive (one way).. That's not too bad. Probably $40-50 gas in the truck, plus a sheet is another $50. That's $100 for a grouper therapy stand.. Not bad lol. I have to think about it. Tuesdays are my only day off now, although I only work until noon Saturday.

:up:No need it appears . You look like you have it whipped to me! looks good:up: When you skin it the plywood will bond all the 2x's together
No worries either way just let me know.

Back