skinning a 2x4 stand

On the rosettes I put a brad in each corner and on the fluted portions just spread them out a bit. I did use some wood putty to fill in and sand down before paint. I also purchased a spray gun to use with the same compressor instead of trying to do it with spray cans.

Thanks.

Cut the door out. This will all be hidden by the removable front panel so it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

Note the part where the saw flew back and nearly cut my junk off. What kind of responsible person (Dylan aka ripped tide aka ARC president) gives a circular saw to an unsupervised moron (me)??

Lol that part will be totally covered by the bottom trim.

null_zpsc31a6108.jpg
alt="" />
null_zps277aa5d4.jpg
alt="" />

JDavid;893202 wrote:
Note the part where the saw flew back and nearly cut my junk off.
Lol that part will be totally covered by the bottom trim.

The junk???? I sure hope it is totally covered!!!!!!!

Lol. There's nobody here but me. You don't do wood work in the nude? Strange.

Cut my removable front panel. It lays perfectly flush with the 1x4's so that all I have to do is let the trim that will go around the removable front panel overhang just slightly and you won't even know its removable. Plus that will help it stay in place. As for how it will actually stay in place, I have 3/4" on both sides to sink magnets. I guess that would be the best way to to it.

Here is the pic with the 1x4's and removable panel in place
null_zpsbe26739c.jpg
alt="" />
null_zps4352ed30.jpg
alt="" />

I gotta say, for a complete novice I think I'm doing a pretty good job so far

JDavid;893207 wrote: Lol. There's nobody here but me. You don't do wood work in the nude? Strange.

Well not anymore anyways. :)

And yes, you are doing a good job. Soon you will be taking Business away fro Dave (GrouperTheropy).

I am going on a cruise.....on my lawnmower around my yard.

rdnelson99;893240 wrote: Soon you will be taking Business away fro Dave (GrouperTheropy).

Don't worry Dave you can be my apprentice and I will be the master carpenter you never had :tongue:

Edit: Went around the inside of my door hole with a metal file and made it look nice and neat. You can see in the corner where it's not right in the close up pic above, that was an easy fix.

Instead of hiding the rim with the ply, I decided to cut the extra off. Instead, the trim (1x6) will hide the the rim. I installed a better top to evenly distribute the tank's weight on the top. Before, the tank was going to sit on the 2x4's. by removing the extra an installing the top, I have a solid support underneath the rim of anywhere from a 24x24 to a 26x26.5 tank. This will allow me to upgrade the tank in the future. I also picked up wood filler, lots of sandpaper for the electric sander, a putty knife, and some other things today. The holes for the plumbing were cut out so the tank can sit with the overflow in either back corner. I wanted to design the stand to sit flat against the wall, but it will be going in the corner somewhere until I have more space available.

null_zpsc9cb7254.jpg
alt="" />
null_zpse7d22030.jpg
alt="" />
null_zpse930e66d.jpg
alt="" />
null_zps141e39f6.jpg
alt="" />
null_zps8399b49b.jpg
alt="" />
null_zps5890ec80.jpg
alt="" />

Filling these holes is kind of difficult! I'm thinking about loading up a huge syringe so that I can fill from the bottom of the hole up.

Aren't you done with this yet?? Geezz...it's like reading a Tom Clancy novel....it just keeps going and going and going! LOL!

Seriously...given the lack of experience and tools, you're doing a great job! That thing will support the house when you're done.

Thanks!

you know this never would have happened if you didn't comment about your thread build.

This is a lot of work and I don't have all the time! it's just a couple hours here a couple hours there

Plus I had to figure it out as I went. If I can get the trim and paint on good, it will look awesome.

And then there is the lack of tools and experience, that makes it way harder. I expect I could have done everything I have done so far in one full day had I made one trip to home depot (instead of 5+ so far) and had everything I needed and known what I was doing. lol. I plan on making a start to finish photo only thread when I'm done.

Okay, so I'm still having the same problem I was having before I did everything I did today.

I thought that I could do the top in 3 pieces with what I had leftover from my sheet of ply. it seems perfectly flat, but when I sit the tank on there one corner (the overflow or opposite, overflow side if I'm not touching it) does not sit flush. The gap is maybe 1/16 of an inch, narrowing as it goes away from the corner that is not touching. But still just enough to where the tank can be rocked back and forth switching between which corner is touching and which isn't.

This is the part where I need advice from an experienced stand builder.

So the first thing that came to mind was pink builders foam,and a thread I saw a while back. When I found it, I read this

grouper therapy;874018 wrote: Foam is limited as to what it can correct as well. A properly built and installed stand doesn't need anything to "correct" it. Foam should be used to absorb any shock and to correct the smallest of imperfections.
Skriz;874024 wrote: :up:

Pink foam won't really correct any issues with the stand; it's just not squishy enough. That's why some manufacturers will void the warranty if it is used. Take, for example, Miracles. They do not advise using the pink foam on their tanks.

BUT, it seems as though your guy recommends it, so go with his recommendation.

So I'm guessing that is out of the question. The top is now 26x26.5. Just over what I could get out of a 1/4 sheet. If a 1 piece top would solve this problem, it would cost me another sheet of ply to find out. If this can even be fixed.

Dave, I need your help now! You are the true master!

Well first thing I did was go to home depot and walk around scratching my head. That didn't work so I came home and chiseled out the wood filler and removed the screws from the top. Then I put the tank back on to see where the problem is. It's not in the top pieces because they move with the bottom of the tank. It's the frame and the ply on the sides. So I removed the panels and started going at the top of the stand (2x4's and the ply that is the sides where I cut pieces off today) with the metal file. and then the electric sander. and then the metal file, and then the electric sander. Placed everything back, set the tank on, still wobbles, but less. I don't really want to shim it, I want to fix it. I can't help but feel I am doing it the hard way with the file and sander. What's the easy way?

The best thing to do at this point is to place a sheet of foam under it. Most people do for this very reason. Foam is fairly cheap and you can even get it in a pretty blue! LOL

it wont work because essentially one corner is 1/16" lower than the other three. I have just read many times that it won't work. All it's good for is padding underneath a tank without a bottom rim

Is there a too that shaves off wood instead of sanding. I'm about to google wood shaver. lol. :)

Edit: Hey what do you know, there is, and it's called a wood shaver. or planer.

Edit: I wonder if

Yeah I might just pick one up to have in the future but I was going to ask you if you have a brad nailer. They rent them at HD, but I haven't figured out how much it cost yet. I still don't have my #'s text me and let me know

Thanks to these guys
null_zps34b74d1a.jpg
alt="" />

I finally got the top planed out and the tank is sitting flush. I don't think I have ever sweated more in my life than the 30 minutes spent out here in the heat with that hand plane

Edit: NOW I can move forward

That little plane will come in handy more than you would think. I use one a lot for dragging doors and doors that are uneven and hit the frame on the top or bottom.
Then again, I have way to many houses and probably 100 doors to deal with lol. But it does come in handy.
Your work looks like a pro! That's probably why Dave didn't answer you....jealous hehe

Yeah it's a cool little tool.

Dave is sitting back thinking "if grasshopper is to truly realize the error of his ways he must deal with the repercussions on his own"

Sorry . By the time I seen your post you already had a solution. Good Job! Given the cicumstances you had I say good call.

Back