Starting a 20 reef and a 10 FOWLR...maybe.

OK, so if I cover something you already know please forgive me.

As I am sure you are aware, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all bad for fish. Ammonia and nitrite are very deadly and nitrate is when in high concentrations. The good news is there are bacteria that will take care of the ammonia and nitrite. To cycle the tank you want to establish a good colony of each type of bacteria. This happens naturally but you have to have ammonia present to kick start it. If ammonia is present, one type of bacteria will start to grow and feed on it. The byproduct is nitrite. Once nitrite is present a different type of bacteria will start to grow and feed on it. The byproduct of that is nitrate. Unfortunately there is no bacteria that consumes Nitrate but we control it through water changes.

So, most people refer to the cycle process as something that starts and finishes but in fact, once started it never ends. The bacteria continues to consume the ammonia created by decaying food and fish waste.

So, to get the cycle kicked started you need an amonia source. Some sprinkle a bit of food in the tank and let it decompose over time. Others use a normal raw shrimp from the grocery and let it rot on the sand bed. I used the pure amonia method. You have to make sure you use pure ammonia (Ace Hardware brand Janitorial is pure). Add it one drop at a time and test between drops. You want to get the ammonia level up to 4ppm (parts per million). Once it is at 4ppm leave it be. After some time (could be days or weeks) you will see the ammonia level start to decline and the nitrite levels start to climb. Add more ammonia to get it back to 4ppm. Continue this until you see both ammonia and nitrite dropping and nitrate starting to climb. That tells you that you have both types of bacteria present and the cycle has started.

Just because it has started it doesn't mean you have a ton of bacteria and go straight to adding fish. You want to be able to dose it to 4ppm and then have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite 24 hours later. At that time, you can start doing water changes to get the nitrate down below 5 ppm but as close to 0 as you can get. Now you are ready for a fish or two. You can't put a bunch in at once because the bacteria colonies are small and wont be able to handle a large bio load. After a few weeks of having one or two fish the bacteria is starting to catch up and another fish can be added. Each time a fish is added the bio load increases and the bacteria needs time to catch up.

Hope that helps.
Rich

mattyams;823706 wrote: I have a slight understanding of how the cycle works. I already have one FOWLR tank and I watched it get that diatom bloom about 2 weeks in, then it was gone after about 4-5 days. Now if that is all there is to it, then cool...besides, that's all I really know. I need to get my hands on a piece of live rock or 2 like Wannabe said. Outside of what I said...that's all I know...

Be careful where you get the liverock. You may pick up some unwanted carriers on the rock, i.e. aiptasia, etc. You can 'search' aiptasia or unwanted pests here on this sight.

Once you get unwanted pests, it may be hard to get completely rid of unwanted pests. Just be selective on where you on get the liverock.

Wannabee

If alright to post here: Any experiences related to purchase of liverock would be appreciated. I do not want any negative feedback here related from bad experiences to slam anyone. I will need to purchase some great liverock to start a 120 gallon in the near future and I'm looking for a place to purchase some starting liverock.

Moderator: If not appropriate, please remove the stuff below Wannabee related to future liverock purchasing above. Thanks.

WannabeeaReefKeeper;823713 wrote: Be careful where you get the liverock. You may pick up some unwanted carriers on the rock, i.e. aiptasia, etc. You can 'search' aiptasia or unwanted pests here on this sight.

Once you get unwanted pests, it may be hard to get completely rid of unwanted pests. Just be selective on where you on get the liverock.

Wannabee

Good advice.

Well that was a lot more than I as expecting. We shall see how this goes.

Edit: What about testing the water? I saw a thread on here about how the API kit is usually wrong...well that's all I have.

You will be fine with the API for awhile in my opinion. You are not concerned yet with things like calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. The API Saltwater master has the things you need to get going. You biggest concerns right now are PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. While API may not be the best, it will work for now when testing those things.

Good...cause I like acting like a chemist! Lol. Now, when should I start this ammonia....thing...I'm not sure what to call it.

You can start it now. Since you have rock, sand and water in the tank you are ready to start cultivating bacteria. The bacteria needs lots of surface area to grow on. That is what the rock and sand is for. The more pourous the rock, the more surface area for bacteria to grow on.

OK, so you saw the pictures...you see the rock that is in there. Is that good enough or should I take some out and ad a large piece of live rock? I did already add the "Ocean Direct Live Sand" so I'm not sure if that is enough or not.

I would not take any rock out but it wouldn't hurt to add some more. The more rock the more "Housing" for the bacteria. LOL In addition, if you start getting corals you will need lots of places to put them. Try to arrange it so that you have shelves, caves and crevices that fish can hide and sleep in. Also, try to keep it away from the sides and front of the tank so that you can easily clean the viewing areas.

I have mixed feelings on live sand. I find it hard to believe something can stay alive in a sealed bag that sits on a shelf for months. But, it could help shorten the cycle. Adding live rock will shorten the cycle too because to be live it must have living bacteria. Of course it could have other living creatures as well. :)

Time to find some live rock...I noticed there's a few members on here selling some...any other suggestions?

You will need to get a power head or two to create flow in the tank. :) Never ends does it. LOL

WannabeeaReefKeeper;823713 wrote: Be careful where you get the liverock. You may pick up some unwanted carriers on the rock, i.e. aiptasia, etc. You can 'search' aiptasia or unwanted pests here on this sight.

Wannabee

If alright to post here: Any experiences related to purchase of liverock would be appreciated. I do not want any negative feedback here related from bad experiences to slam anyone. I will need to purchase some great liverock to start a 120 gallon in the near future and I'm looking for a place to purchase some starting liverock.

Moderator: If not appropriate, please remove the stuff below Wannabee related to future liverock purchasing above. Thanks.

If I ever get rid of my aptasia I will throw a party. I've pulled rock bought aptasia x tried home remedy products. Made a tomb by covering them in glue. I've had peppermint shrimp file fish and no matter how much I get rid of it keeps coming back.

Watch out for any pest on purchased liverock or coral. Some pest are good some are bad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rdnelson99;823741 wrote: You will need to get a power head or two to create flow in the tank. :) Never ends does it. LOL

I think I'll only need one for each right? I mean they are only 10 and 20 gallon tanks. My 30 gallon long has 2 and there is pretty good movement in there.

No big deal. What you have will support a small bio load. You can add more at any time. :)

Once I add those power heads I can get rid of those HOB filters? Cause they are really ugly.

mattyams;823833 wrote: Once I add those power heads I can get rid of those HOB filters? Cause they are really ugly.

You may want to keep the HOB filters handy. The HOB filters will allow you to add a drawstring filter bag with carbon or other chemical to help polish or clean the water if you need to add extra chemicals in filtering the water column once your tanks get established.

Wannabee

So I spent the money and bought a 24" 3w LED fixture, two powerheads (one for each tank) and new heaters. Looks like I might</em> get a reef going after all on the top tank. Should be fun...I hope.

Ok. I am going to make sure that I under the cycle process that you explained to me:

1. Get the ammonia from Ace Hardware (luckily there is one right down from me in Roswell). 2. Put one drop in and test until the ammonia level is at 4ppm
3. Let sit and test every day? week? until ammonia declines and nitrites start to go up.
4. Add ammonia til 4ppm again.
5. Continue until ammonia and nitrite both start to decline and nitrates start to climb. (Cycle started)
6. Add ammonia to 4ppm and make sure that ammonia and nitrite drop to 0ppm in 24 hours.
7. Start water changes to control nitrates.
8. One fish for small bio load.

Fairly simple IMO.

Back