Starting a 20 reef and a 10 FOWLR...maybe.

Yup, you got it. As for how often to test, I would say once a week at first until you see ammonia starting to drop a bit. But, if you are like me, you won't be able to contain yourself to once a week. LOL

That is why I said the API are good for a start. They are cheap by comparison and will give you an indication of what is going on in your tank. They are not spot on but you will start to get a feel for it. When you think you have it figured out, run a batch of test and take the same batch of water to a store and have them run the same tests. You can then compare your readings to that of the store.

One word of caution, make sure that on the nitrate test, you shake the #2 reagent for at least 30 seconds EVERY TIME. If you forget to shake it one time and use it, the mix will be off and give you false readings. Think of oil and vinegar. If you shake it every time before putting it on a salad it is always the same. But, if you pour some with out shaking, it will never be the same again because you poured out more of than the other.

Makes sense. Now on to the salt mix. Difference between a salt mix and a reef salt mix. And do I need to use the reef salt mix? I have a 200 gallon box of Instant Ocean that I got from Pure Reef.

Until you start to get some corals you are fine with standard salt mix. The biggest differance in the two is the amounts of calcium and other elements that corals need to thrive. But, based on the size of the tank, I don't think you will have a lot of coral consuming your calcium for some time so stick to the cheaper stuff. :) Once you get to a point where you are adding corals you will want better test kits and you will start testing Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnisium.

I'm abandoning this idea due to the leak. Kind of a demotivated me. But I've got this 11g I'm working on now. So if you wanna close this thread. Feel free.

Cancel that...I was able to revive the tank. Just took a ton of work and love to get it going again. :-D

So like I said I picked up an 11.4 gallon from a fellow member and here is how it sits today. Some nice SPS started to show its face today. Just not sure what else I want to add. The 20 gallon is still a go...started the cycle today. :up:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
825017=41934-2013-01-02 23.26.18.jpg
>
825017=41934-2013-01-02 23.26.18.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2013-01-02 23.26.18.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I think I agree with Shane, no coralife products of mine have ever been worth the trouble. just cheap replacements to distract you from spending your money wisely and on something more worth it.

So the 20 gallon is still cycling and I'm still trying to find some live rock that I like to put in it. So no real update on that one. But my 11g is doing great! The tank was already cycled thanks to ShanePike and his contributions! So here is a couple photos of the 11g.

2013-01-05223637_zps1550c8f0.jpg
alt="" />

2013-01-05223356_zps6f5021af.jpg
alt="" />

2013-01-05223438_zps37df16ed.jpg
alt="" />

So I picked up some live rock from a guy selling it on craigslist. Very good price not to mention the amount of livestock that was already on the rock. Here's a photo with the stunner LEDs and a regular ol T5 on them til my other led fixture shows up.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
826157=42043-2013-01-06 21.32.58.jpg
>
826157=42043-2013-01-06 21.32.58.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2013-01-06 21.32.58.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I don't mean to be the harbonger of doom or anything but I noticed you have a rather sometimes difficult fish to keep there that "usually" only eats copeopds and unless im mistaken (which I am a lot :D) I was thinking they needed sand and not crushed coral for substrate and only should be in "very" established tanks.

Not trying to be negative just hate to see you loose your fish.

Does this one eat frozen/pellets? If not you will have to provide a good ammount of copeopds for him to thrive

SuperClown;826181 wrote: I don't mean to be the harbonger of doom or anything but I noticed you have a rather sometimes difficult fish to keep there that "usually" only eats copeopds and unless im mistaken (which I am a lot :D) I was thinking they needed sand and not crushed coral for substrate and only should be in "very" established tanks.

Not trying to be negative just hate to see you loose your fish.

Does this one eat frozen/pellets? If not you will have to provide a good ammount of copeopds for him to thrive

Already on top of it thanks. I wouldn't have gotten em if I hadn't.

mattyams;826184 wrote: Already on top of it thanks. I wouldn't have gotten em if I hadn't.

Why are you on top of your tank? and you wouldn't have gotten him if you hadn't ate his copeopods :confused2:.. lol j/k

serioulsy though love the nano tanks going to be a cool one

SuperClown;826187 wrote: Why are you on top of your tank? and you wouldn't have gotten him if you hadn't ate his copeopods :confused2:.. lol j/k

serioulsy though love the nano tanks going to be a cool one

I reread what I posted and it may have come across as rude...my apologizes if it did. I was typing on my phone in bed...without contacts...bad idea.

And thanks for the compliments!

Quick update on the 20 gallon. Got the rock and lighting in. Just waiting time.

2013-01-07164801_zpsf283ea2d.jpg
alt="" />

Back