Starting a 20 reef and a 10 FOWLR...maybe.

So here are the two tanks in their final places. Not much I know...but it's all I can do.

2013-01-10101730_zpsde9fa6ad.jpg
alt="" />

2013-01-10101748_zpse82f81e3.jpg
alt="" />

Added more rock and some other cool stuff.

ryma9una.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Here's how it looks today.

image-1_zpsf0e958b1.jpg
alt="" />

image-1_zpsdbebd274.jpg
alt="" />

2013-01-29145401_zps21c43d78.jpg
alt="" />

2ruble;833624 wrote: wow... holy crap... looks awesome... those are pretty neat little lights you got there too

Thanks! The LEDs are the marineland reef fixture. But I took it apart and out in 3 watt LEDs. Made it my own.

WOW is right, that does look great! Been following your thread and almost ready to get water in my tanks. I am using similar lights, curious about your light make over, what LEDs did you use?

dball711;833645 wrote: WOW is right, that does look great! Been following your thread and almost ready to get water in my tanks. I am using similar lights, curious about your light make over, what LEDs did you use?

Cree LEDs.

So the 20 gallon was getting a bit crammed. So I found a nice 25 gallon on CL and moved everyone over. It was one of those eclipse hoods with the filter...I cut all that out and made room for my lighting. Lemme know what you think!

image-1_zpsbd124a47.jpg
alt="" />

image-1_zpsf33377fe.jpg
alt="" />

Might have missed this in the thread but looks like you are running a fluval canister filter. I have one of those laying around here somewhere. Anyway I was gonna say you could plumb the tanks together and run the filter off the bottom one or convert it to a sump to increase your water volume. I plumbed two tanks together with $20 worth of PVC and tubing from home depot once it was super easy. Look up PVC overflow on YouTube. I have one laying around I can take pics of

Edit: Oh and you can paint it black too so it looks nice

I've been trying to figure out how to do it. All the videos I have seen are vague and honestly don't make such sense to me. I'm a fairly smart guy when it comes to building things but this has me confused.

Edit: I used the canister filter to clear it up and keep the water nice and clear with biomax. I know that they become nitrate factories after awhile, but I didn't really know what else to do with it. Plus it creates some nice top flow.

Roswell is pretty far, but if you want mine you can have it. only thing is I put the valve to let the air out the top on the side for some dumb reason so I have to hook up a piece of tubing to a syringe to suck the air/water out the top lol. it would make for a good model or you could at least use all the corner pieces. I can't remember all the details of how to make it work, but it does work like an overflow rather than a siphon, which is important.
picture.php

If you could send me some other pictures and things I need, I can try and reconstruct my own.

I just looked and looked and I cant find the instructions I used. They were very simple and easy to understand.. however there are a few key things that I can't really remember exactly but are important to make it work, and going off a photo of mine isnt going to help you there. If you had the actual thing and you could play with it outside that would be different. If I was going to do it all again I would do something BA like this http://dramaticaquascapes.com/PVC_Overflow_11.html">http://dramaticaquascapes.com/PVC_Overflow_11.html</a> but whatever you do make sure you research and understand it because there is nothing to keep the pump from emptying the bottom tank's water on the floor if the overflow fails.

I don't feel like I have been much help lol. anyway, it can work, but there are some key elements to making it work.

If you still want some pictures, I have dug the thing out of a box in the garage and it is very dirty but I could snap some shots for you. But without a clear understanding of whats going on, I wouldnt proceed, and that I can not give

That is exactly the same as mine.
The only reason it wouldn't start back up is if there is air trapped in the top bend where you see that valve on mine

So I have this 25 gallon and 11.4 gallon you see here:

tank_zps9704c001.jpg
alt="" />

I have a few questions as what path I want to take.

Currently the tank is not drilled and I am not sure if I would want to...seeing as how it is already set up. I was thinking about building a pvc overflow and using the bottom tank as a refugium. That's most likely the best thing to do. If you have any suggestions for that lemme know. My biggest concern is how to flow the water back into the tank.

My other question is about lighting. I had 2 of the Marineland Reef Capible fixtures on this tank until one dropped in the tank and fried it. So now there is only one running. I ordered a Reefbreeders Value fixture last week and I am still waiting for it to come in. Now, when it shows up, where is the best place to put it? I really do not want to take the "canopy" off the top because it then would show some of the equipment that comes out of the tank. Could I just find some way to keep it in the "canopy" or would I have to suck it up and suspend it with the top off?

Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

hey, I recently acquired a hob overflow box. the description says that it is the only one patented that stops overflowing if there is a power failure. The guy I got it from said there is a sort of valve or something. It doesnt really make sense to me, seeing as how the overflow sits on the top, and water stays at the level of the overflow. I would think that in the event of a power failure the return pump stops working and the water level in the display simple simply stops draining into the sump/fuge

but if you want to look into it it is the overflow box for the rapid pro RP3 wet/dry filter. Its basically a sump with a built in skimmer. All I am missing is the overflow hose, the return pump, and the skimmer pump. I was going to replace the parts but if you are interested it seems that you would need different hoses anyway or a way to fit them into your fuge securely

Edit: hey, I recently acquired a hob overflow box. the description says that it is the only one patented that stops overflowing if there is a power failure. The guy I got it from said there is a sort of valve or something. It doesnt really make sense to me, seeing as how the overflow sits on the top, and water stays at the level of the overflow. I would think that in the event of a power failure the return pump stops working and the water level in the display simple simply stops draining into the sump/fuge

but if you want to look into it it is the overflow box for the rapid pro RP3 wet/dry filter. Its basically a sump with a built in skimmer. All I am missing is the overflow hose, the return pump, and the skimmer pump. I was going to replace the parts but if you are interested it seems that you would need different hoses anyway or a way to fit them into your fuge securely

Edit:
245080v.jpg
alt="" />

if you look up tom rapids pro overflow box it goes for around 100-150 online, because it can handle 900 GPH (40-150 gallon tank)

the hose is 8 bucks online. If you wanted the whole thing, which goes for about 250 with the pumps I would do $125. If you just want the overflow box.. $50. nothing structurally wrong with the thing and the overflow is the part that I am more interested in having in the future, but I need a RO/DI unit more. If you notice there is a bulkhead at the bottom of the canister. you could plumb it into your fuge if it was set up right. somebody else will have to pipe in but i thing basically the pump would pull water out of the canister fast enough for them to sit even, but then if you lose power your fuge would siphon into the sump. there would have to be an overflow level for it to work I think. but you could ditch the fuge and use the whole setup no problem. for a small tank like yours you wouldnt need the 700 gph pump I dont think.. I used to power my pvc overflow/bucket sump return with a maxi jet 900. not ideal for flow but this is a surface skimming overflow, so there is that

Edit: some websites are charging close to 400 with the auto fill included.

Edit: http://www.thatpetplace.com/rapids-rp3-pro-plus-filter-system-150-gal?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c245080&ne_ppc_id=1463&ne_key_id=26542537&gclid=CPCv_siS87UCFQ-xnQodxlYAEg

Edit: seems fair to me considering the cost of the pvc overflow, the look of it, and the fact that this is a real piece of equipment that handles a high flow rate. if anybody thinks that is not a fair price or has any other suggestions feel free to comment because I am not trying to make a sale, I just have something that I think may be a good solution

Back