Vodka, Vinegar, Sugar (Carbon) Dosing info

titration kits are more accurate than trying to decipher shades of color.

Elos, Salifert, Tropic Marine Nitrate

for phosphates:

DD Merck, Hach, Colormeter, or maybe Elos.

Have no experience with this. I had heard that using AZ-NO3 would cause problems with Clams and Anemones....is this fact or fiction, and if yes, would using Vodka instead of AZ-NO3 have the same risks for Nems and Clams?

I have been reading for a few days on this, and have seen nothing noting any danger to nems and clams specifically. Just dangerous to everything in your tank if you mess up...

oh, where can I find some good syringes without any metal on them?

Yeah, but not ones I want to put vodka in and then use to test. I need them to measure out doses...

I know that I should just let this thread die, but I started out on my tank 3 days ago with .2ml of the VSV mixture, and my filter sock has turned black with dead algae, and I pulled probably about 30ml of nasty dead black algae out of my overflows...seems to be working. All corals and fish seem perfectly happy.

the first 2 months are the "tricky" part. please go very slow & at least 1/2 the pace over double the time of recommended doses.

yeah I have about 50 total gallons and started with .2ml, and will go with that for a week maybe more if I still see results, if the tank looks like it is not improving I will go to .4ml after a week and then keep moving forward like that with .2ml increases in the dose, I am too scared to start doubling the dose here and there like it is recomended. I am in no rush...

What type of test are you using to check No3 and Po4. Would API tests be "OK" or do I need to step up to a titration test (wich I need to do anyway) before I begin dosing?

To be honest, all I have is API, and they don't read anything, I know I know bad idea, but I am waiting for aqua buys to get some more kits in stock before I buy them. I knwo that my tank has trates and phosphate because I have algae, so I am just going to watch my tank closely, which I do anyway.

its at 8 right now, I am keeping an eye on it since I dose kalk, but so far so good.

Back