Whats the best skimmer

patrick214

Market
Reaction score
We are getting a new skimmer for Christmas and want to know what the best skimmer for a 215 gallon SPS tank would be. Ive been leaning towards Deltec, maybe the AP701 or AP851 but we are not really sure. We've also considered Euro-reef and some others but any suggestions or experience would be great. I really like the recirculating skimmers but it seems like the only recirculating Deltec is the AP702 for 2k. Also looked at some of the bubble king minis but any advice is welcomed thanks, guys.

Get a Mako! It's a dart needle-wheel based skimmer. Features an auto neck washdown...pretty awesome stuff.

46bfinga ordered one too. Except his is way bigger and is going to use an alita with it...pretty ******!

What is an Alita? I've been toying with the idea of gravity feeding whatever skimmer we choose since I need to rework the plumbing anyways.

you can go with a das ex3 it uses the same pumps deltech use for a fraction of the price i have one and love it i think its like 700 brand new

here you go i have the ex1
Detail.bok

Do the knockoffs really work as well as the big name skimmers? It would suck to spend alot of money on something that could have been had alot cheaper but IMO itd suck more to spend almost as much and get something average.

they are just as good they just arent as pretty looking but believe me they work only thing customer service sucks at petorama

Heres my Mako skimmer in the works..........uses a Dart Orca pump. Probably overkill for your size tank though.

Dartskimmer.jpg
alt="" />

Heres the smaller version that Skriz is getting..........

Makoskimmer.jpg
alt="" />

Im not trying to be negative about the das I just say that because weve wasted alot of money in the past buying equipment that really needs to be upgraded.....bfinga i love the miller lite in front of the skimmmer!

overkill is better than underkill....I wana break my coralife into a thousand pieces I may do this rather than sell it lol...but anyways are the Deltec not all they are cracked up to be? I

you dont have to upgradge a DAS skimmer its the same as Deltec as far as pumps...

IMO The Dart mako skimmer is over kill for your size tank. But i like over kill.

yes they are they are great skimmers and so are the das they are pretty much the same skimmer the deltch comes moded already but i dont feel there is a need for that and of coasre the craftmanship is much better there is a huge thread about them on reef central take a look
showthread.php

Heres what an Alita 40 looks like. Basically turns your skimmer into a steroid driven monster.......

DSC04930.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04929.jpg
alt="" />

So do most go with DAS instead of Deltec? anyone have experience with the reeflo? also bfinga is the alita a kind of air pump? im trying to find some info on your skimmer but i cant find anything?

Patrick214;110462 wrote: overkill is better than underkill....I wana break my coralife into a thousand pieces I may do this rather than sell it lol...but anyways are the Deltec not all they are cracked up to be? I

To me Deltec are really nice in appearance,and probably work very well. But are really expensive for what you get. I decided to go with a Dart NW skimmer because they are efficient for the size system(800 gallon) I will be running,and the pumps are made by Sequence in the USA which have excellent reputation for reliability. The skimmers are built using standard plumbing/acrylic and built here in Ga. Plus you have the options of changing anything you want about them as far as height/plumbing/etc.......and for half the cost of a Deltec.

Patrick214;110470 wrote: So do most go with DAS instead of Deltec? anyone have experience with the reeflo? also bfinga is the alita a kind of air pump? im trying to find some info on your skimmer but i cant find anything?

Yes the Alita is an air pump. For your size system it would be WAY overkill.You could get by with the skimmer Skriz is buying I posted a pic of it. You wont find any information online about these skimmers because they are just coming out. His website has not been updated yet. Me and Raj(skriz) are the first to buy them.

is brad making these skimmers for you guys or is there another source if you dont want to make it to public please pm me thanks
victor

I really like my orca dart needlewheel. Had it for a few months. now. I've used deltec before and this works just as good at half the price.

Premium aquatics has them

Back