Whats the best skimmer

Roland Jacques;110687 wrote: Skriz, what about the Orca collection cup is bad?

I cant answer this one because Im not sure.

The biggest downfall with Orca skimmers (at least the one Ive look at closely) is the flow path. They did not design that very good they can have better than 20% of the throughput (water going into it) leaving the skimmer without even seeing a going into the reaction chamber or seeing one bubble. I like to know if the Mako skimmer addressed this.
He offers two choices on the intake of the skimmer. One way is to enter into the top of the box,the other is to enter into a T on the NW intake.Which one works better ? Not sure but I plan on trying both.

I think the wet neck feature that Orca offers may be a better choice than a wash down feature. Not sure, i like to no more about the washdown feature.
The wash down features a spray system llike you would use on a irrigation system. It sprays in a 360 degree motion around the inside of the collection cup. IMO would work much better then a "wet neck" since the wash down has some pressure behind it to wash out the gunk as opposed to just running down the neck. It does require an additional pump(Roughly 600gph) to run it,which maybe a downfall for others but I dont mind it all. I plan on controlling the pump using my AC3 and have it come on a few times a day.Of course once I get my skimmer I can base my opinions on fact rather then just speculation. I have the utmost confidence that this skimmer will perform very well.

My EX2 runs like a top. I am not having any problems getting it to skim wet or dry. Are you pumping enough water into it?

The other smaller Reeflo might be up your alley David. It is cheaper and should handle your tank load better than an EX3. I personally want an external, doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is dead silent that will handle my 120g. I am still searching althought EX2 other than the queit part seems to be working well.

I set mine just above about a half inch or so. I never seem to overflow and I get a nice dark skim. It isn't too wet or too dry at least for me. Danny can probably give you a more honest opinion than me as he cleans mine every other week and I clean it the weeks he is not here.

I would also add onto the skimmer list those Korallen Zucht skimmers. I know zip about them, but would love to see one. http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=34_348">http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=34_348</a>

Also if Spazz is making a new production skimmer... I would hold out for one of his. I have NEVER heard a bad thing about the skimmers he makes and everyone who gets one seems to love them.

Big D;110704 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">I'll throw another knock-off out there for you to add to the insaneness... they look to be made well, pretty sure they're internal skimmers though.</span>

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-Xtreme-Skimmers---Coming-Soon!/c22_48/index.html?osCsid=22fcqj3dhfjdben21vagkegu40"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Link </span></a><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><<<---</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>[/QUOTE]
That's the one IMO that will be one of the "best skimmers" for a 300 gallon tank.

I define the best skimmer as the one that can not be out performed (without splitting hairs) for the tank size... low watts, quiet, high air to water ratio, adds no heat, maximum air:water interface and skimmate production. [I][B]All that and leave the most money in my pocket. [/B]</em>

There's a monster thread on RC about the orca; it discusses the collection cup and how it could be better-the Mako addresses this problem. I'd have to sift through the whole thread again...just can't be bothered.

The washdown is much better than a wet neck because it uses pressure to wash the skimmer down. Imagine cleaning the skimmer with a hose fitted with a pressure nozzle.

THe Mako also has a drain plug..no big deal if you never move it, but a nice feature to have just in case. not sure if the orca has this, but most don't so I am assuming not.

as far as having a really really swank skimmer, the BK is definately swank! I just can't imagine paying that much.

Spazz volcano...the guy that started it all. Have you ever noticed the stripe that runs down the side of his skimmer? It's not there for design...

thanks for all the great info everyone you all have been so helpful!....but anyways Ive been looking into the BK and it seems like everyone thinks there the best skimmer you can buy but it also seems like noone on the face of earth has used one or seen one in operation lol....are they some kind of urban skimming legend?

valas;110561 wrote: I'm about to purchase a DAS EX-3 for my new project.

Do the name brand bubbles look any different? :)

Yes, they are plated with gold and harvested through my collection cup on a regular basis.

I'm confused everyone said the DAS uses the same pumps as Deltec but the Deltecs use Eheims whats up with that?

Patrick214;110784 wrote: I'm confused everyone said the DAS uses the same pumps as Deltec but the Deltecs use Eheims whats up with that?
They may be using eheims now. In the past it was Aquabees.
Euro reef also uses Eheims (as a optional pump) but you pay allot more for them.

Bk's are great skimmers really its the pump that set it apart mainly just because it uses very low watts for the air it produces.

A year or 2 ago BK had the best by far pump when it came to performing. Now with the Dart NW and the mesh wheels that tittle is not as clear. Last i checked the Sicci pumps with the mesh wheels are a little better in air to watts ratio.
I think with BK your paying allot for the name, the exchange rate, & customs. their great skimmers but the $$$ are crazy.
I do know of a few people who have switched from BK in sump skimmers to ATI in sump skimmers FWIW.

Just an update, we just ordered the new Bubble King SuperMarine 250 Internal! It should be here by NewYears, I cant wait to get this thing going! Its barely gonna fit in the sump we have lol were going to have to remove the rubble rock chamber in the entry to fit the pump but that should help feed it unprocessed water.......Hope its all its cracked up to be....

We decided to go with the BK for a number of reasons..one being that it seemed to be the consesus that while these were very expensive, you also get what you pay for and are one of, if not the best line of skimmers you can buy. Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction, now I wont have to keep upgrading.

Once its setup, youll be more than welcome to stob by if your around town. Just let me know.

Where did you get the BK? I've been reading about some new ones on the market that seem to out preform the BK.

I can't figure how I missed this thread... A bit late, but...

I have had an MR2 (non-recirculating) Upgraded with new/second Becketts, but about 15 months ago moved to a Deltek AP702. That model uses Eheim's, some other models use Aquabees.

I really believe they both have provided about the same level of skimming.

I *think* the Deltec uses less power overall, and it does not require as much attention as the MR2. Unfortunately, I was traveling a LOT and the MR2 needed regular checking and minor tuning. I would not have pulled it out because of that, however, if not for the travel.

Deltec's are high cost, as indicated. I have also found the needlewheels to be very delicate: In the last 3 months, I have replaced 2 needlewheels and one pump. The wheels are 280 each to replace (they include the shaft). The Eheim ain't cheap either. I have one needlewheel I sent back to hopefully be repaired in Germany, but I don't expect to see it until Spring, if then.

I also went with the "self cleaning head". Very cool, but a bit less than you might hope for the price. It does reduce cleaning from about every 3 -4 days to about 1 1/2- 2 weeks, but the brushes take a lot to clean out, so net time saved is probably not much. The brushes really gunk up, and they don't have any brushes pointing up or around the "edge" of the top, but the chamber walls do keep clean. Also, the flush valve REALLY has to have a good, straight drop for the syphon to catch, or water will overflow the top of the unit. For me, traveling as I have been, it does help. My tank sitters are afraid to go under my house to even look at my sump.. I don't have a "model setup" under there as far as neatness is concerned, and I tear it apart every couple of months.

I believe H&L shares the needlewheel patent. I DO like the needlewheel approach, but I expect other similar versions would be good, and perhaps less prone to damage.

I also looked at BK's at the time, and folks raved about them, but they were always on backorder, and I understand parts were slow to get. That may have changed by now.

FYI, other skimmers I have used include the Remora, Urchin, and Aquaclear (I think). All worked. I really need to clear some out, actually...

-Mike

Back