Whats the best skimmer

I have been using a Euroreef CS8-3+ with dual Sedra 5000 needlewheel pumps for the last 3+ years. I am very impressed with the hands-off operation of this skimmer and skimming performance. It is totally silent too. I have never had a problem with it except for a leaky collection cup which I fixed with some Weldon.

I thought I was nuts for spending $800 on it until I see you guys spending $1700 and $3000 for your skimmers.... :eek:

Yes, Euroreef was a real contender... I think I was seduced by the self cleaner on the Deltec. I am a gadget freak.

Schwaggs;111536 wrote: I have been using a Euroreef CS8-3+ with dual Sedra 5000 needlewheel pumps for the last 3+ years. I am very impressed with the hands-off operation of this skimmer and skimming performance. It is totally silent too. I have never had a problem with it except for a leaky collection cup which I fixed with some Weldon.

I thought I was nuts for spending $800 on it until I see you guys spending $1700 and $3000 for your skimmers.... :eek:

That's my biggest gripe with the beckett skimmers: they constantly need to be cleaned and tuned; too finiky, although they can skim well.

mwitten;111543 wrote: Yes, Euroreef was a real contender... I think I was seduced by the self cleaner on the Deltec. I am a gadget freak.

I hear you on the gadget freak thing...

How could you go wrong with a Dart NW skimmer :)

DSC04932.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04931.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04933.jpg
alt="" />

Patrick214 please let us know when the SuperMarine shows up. Was it not on backorder?

I got the BK from premium aquatics... It is their newest skimmer i think the pump has some modifications from some of their previous lines....when we ordered it they said they were due in the U.S. by friday and we should receive it between christmas and new years so that is fine with me...Bfinga ill make sure to let u know once we get it up and running

Regarding beckett skimmers, MRC specifically: I can set them and clean them every two weeks with no issues, although it has to be that way anyway because of our maintenance schedule. It may be because I deal with so many of them that I don't see it as an issue. When I arrive at the account the riser tube just has significantly thicker buildup, but it's still skimming quite well. Unless you're sending a very large amount of detritus through the beckett, you only really need to crack those open about once a month. I would clean/rotate/replace the silencer media every two week.

Many tanks are different, but these methods work well on many tanks. :)

DannyBradley;111898 wrote: Regarding beckett skimmers, MRC specifically: I can set them and clean them every two weeks with no issues, although it has to be that way anyway because of our maintenance schedule. It may be because I deal with so many of them that I don't see it as an issue. When I arrive at the account the riser tube just has significantly thicker buildup, but it's still skimming quite well. Unless you're sending a very large amount of detritus through the beckett, you only really need to crack those open about once a month. I would clean/rotate/replace the silencer media every two week.

Many tanks are different, but these methods work well on many tanks. :)

It must be that you're either used to it or I am just EXTREMELY lazy! :)

I like the MRC guys and their bodies are top notch, but I think you are better off with a NW skimmer. It is hard for a non-NW design to beat a stock Aquabee or similar when pulling air and pushing water. They can achieve a near 50/50 ratio. Then you have even better pumps out there like the Red Dragons that pull crazy amounts of air to the watt. Generally speaking, the more water pushed into the skimmer the more likely you are to get surges and turbulence which can go from minor regular tweaking to downright annoying with skimmer cups overflowing. Becketts had their day but from a long term cost perspective they can't compete these days with ever improving skimmer designs (bubble plate, more effecient necks, better designed injection) and low wattage high air pulling pumps.

Now if MRC decides to throw an Aquabee on one of their bodies much less a Reeflo, I am all ears.

Back