Cyano.

it's bubbling (small air bubbles which rise to the surface).. isn't that a hallmark of cyano? Plus, there's always less of it when the lights come on than there is when the lights go off.. plus, it's not at all stringy, thus the reason I thought it was coralline..

I'm really hoping it's like diatoms.. it will suck up the excess of whatever it's using (i suspect nitrates) and then slowly die off.

My diatoms were gone in 3 days.

tonymission;980438 wrote: Sounds like cyano yeah... can it be syphoned or rubbed off easily?

it was growing over my substrate and I turned my substrate over with a tool and it seemed to hold together pretty well..

I haven't honestly tried siphoning or cleaning it off. I was hoping it'd just use up it's fuel and then die off..

OceanDeep85;980437 wrote: it's bubbling (small air bubbles which rise to the surface).. isn't that a hallmark of cyano? Plus, there's always less of it when the lights come on than there is when the lights go off.. plus, it's not at all stringy, thus the reason I thought it was coralline..

I'm really hoping it's like diatoms.. it will suck up the excess of whatever it's using (i suspect nitrates) and then slowly die off.

My diatoms were gone in 3 days.

The difference between nitrates/phosphates and silicates (what the diatoms feed off of) is that you have a renewing source of nitrates via the nitrogen cycle and usually a limited amount of silicates that come in new sand. You don't really ever add more silicates back into the aquarium but you're always adding phosphates with feeding and other ways too, and nitrates by the ammonia that results from animal waste/food/other organic matter breaking down being processed by the nitrogen cycle into nitrate.

You have to remove nutrients

Sure. Matrix is great for nitrates and skimming can pull out a lot of organic matter before it becomes nitrates. But nothing beats water changes.

In my ten gallon I'm changing 2 gallons twice a week.. And still fighting nitrates. Recently added a bunch of matrix

JDavid;980447 wrote: Sure. Matrix is great for nitrates and skimming can pull out a lot of organic matter before it becomes nitrates. But nothing beats water changes.

In my ten gallon I'm changing 2 gallons twice a week.. And still fighting nitrates. Recently added a bunch of matrix

My nitrates are up in the 15 to 20 ppm range and I've been doing daily 5g changes on my 60 and I've reduced the the feeding to every 2 days and reduced what I'm feeding and my trates still are high and my coral are starting to get mad. Very fustrating :mad2:

LSU_fishFan;980448 wrote: My nitrates are up in the 15 to 20 ppm range and I've been doing daily 5g changes on my 60 and I've reduced the the feeding to every 2 days and reduced what I'm feeding and my trates still are high and my coral are starting to get mad. Very fustrating :mad2:

Try adding some matrix to the sump

I used chemiclean because I couldn't get rid of the cyano. My nitrates where at 0ppm for over 2 months and it wouldn't go away so I use the chemiclean. Hasn't came back since.

all very interesting. I should be running carbon anyway, but I just haven't been. filtration is next month's project. :)

Looking to take a nice big canister and fill it full of matrix and carbon.

another tip that makes for a big difference is using a turkey baster to really blow the build up off your rocks. And depending on how deep your sand bed is, stir up a section each water change. This really helped me, I would do large water changes and cut back on what the above had said and still get cyano the next day. It wasnt until I really started to clean the sand bed when it began to go away. Just remember to do a small section each time, kicking up too much at once could become a huge problem.

I wouldn't suggest Chemiclean in such a small, and immature tank.

This is a 'growing pain' stemming from the difficulties you had a few weeks ago.

Ceriths and hermits don't eat cyano, but they will turn over the substrate, mixing it up/hiding it etc.

Nothing eats cyano.

Manual removal. Airline tubing to siphon is a good idea.

Short photoperiod and export those nutrients. What is your phosphate level and nitrate level?

What's your temperature? A warmer tank seems to grow the stuff more proficiently.

What kind of food are you feeding the damsel, and how much? The frequency is fine, but the quantity or kind of food may be part of the issue.

Chemical fixes are a last resort after all the other issues are corrected. And IF it came to that, Ultralife Red Slime Remover is every bit as effective but a lot less problematic, or potentially problematic, and in my opinion, a safer choice (I've used it in a 12 gallon).

For now though, cutting the photoperiod and exporting more nutrients than you import, should resolve the issue.

Jenn

He mentioned that no one is home most of the time. Might I suggest he only turn his lights on for like 3-4 hours since he has soft corals. I know it has been mentioned to shorten the photoperiod already, but not sure if the OP is grasping it fully. How long do yall think his lights need to be on for?

JennM;980488 wrote: I wouldn't suggest Chemiclean in such a small, and immature tank.

This is a 'growing pain' stemming from the difficulties you had a few weeks ago.

Ceriths and hermits don't eat cyano, but they will turn over the substrate, mixing it up/hiding it etc.

Nothing eats cyano.

Manual removal. Airline tubing to siphon is a good idea.

Short photoperiod and export those nutrients. What is your phosphate level and nitrate level?

What's your temperature? A warmer tank seems to grow the stuff more proficiently.

What kind of food are you feeding the damsel, and how much? The frequency is fine, but the quantity or kind of food may be part of the issue.

Chemical fixes are a last resort after all the other issues are corrected. And IF it came to that, Ultralife Red Slime Remover is every bit as effective but a lot less problematic, or potentially problematic, and in my opinion, a safer choice (I've used it in a 12 gallon).

For now though, cutting the photoperiod and exporting more nutrients than you import, should resolve the issue.

Jenn

1.) Seeking input from those who've used Chemiclean since I know nothing about it. Making every available effort to remove it through my behavioral changes and natural prevention/removal

2.) like I said, I've made observations that a. Cyano is on a rock or substrate, b) my turbo seeks it out, c) my turbo slithers over it and hangs out for a bit, d) turbo slithers away, e) Cyano is gone, rock is clean. Not making any statements on the matter, just making an observation and seeing if anyone else knows anything about it. I've actually heard that Cyano will kill snails on contact, so, Cyano is probably another one of those mythical reef things that everyone knows everything, and nothing, about.

3.) Haven't had time to do manual removal- yet- the shorter photo-period and water changes seem to have already made a sizable dent in the presence of the stuff.

4.) No clue what phosphate level my tank is at. Nitrates are below 10ppm through water changes and green algaes consuming nitrates in water column. Have no new livestock to report, just the damsel, snail, two blue leg hermits.

5.) Temperature is a suprisingly consistent 78, both day and night. I check regularly with a brewer's thermometer (made for precisely measuring the temperature of brewing beer) and a stick-on thermometer on tank glass. Both read 78 every time without fail.

6.) Damsel gets less than a pinch (3, maybe 4 granules) of Instant Ocean Omnivore once every 2 or 3 days. If not given IO Omnivore, it gets a tiny bit of frozen brine every 2 or 3 days. What is not eaten by damsel is readily consumed by hermits. It's actually fun to watch hermits come from nowhere with lightning speed to scarf it up.

7.) I still am waiting on a definitive answer regarding the impact of the chemicals on the bio-filter. Most folks here are well aware of my insane struggle to establish a good bio-filter and I REALLY want to avoid damaging that at all costs. Everything in the tank seems happy as could be and other than the algae issue, ammo-0, nitrite-0, Nitrate <10ppm

8.) Photo-period WAS, in hindsight, insane. It's a 12" deep tank under 2 T5 HO lamps and deep blue wavelength LED accents. I currently have it set at 2p - 11p versus the 8:30a-11:00p from before. Tank also does not receive ANY direct sunlight as it is in an alcove in the living room away from a window. Even if blinds were fully open, it would only receive ambient sunlight.

::catching breath:: ::sitting down::

Yo I would go ahead and invest in a decent 100$ skimmer, like an octopus or something; it will make your life much easier. Less water changing, more oxygenation, and it will pull out all that junk before it builds up to the point it makes your water changes less effective.

kilralpine;980516 wrote: Yo I would go ahead and invest in a decent 100$ skimmer, like an octopus or something; it will make your life much easier. Less water changing, more oxygenation, and it will pull out all that junk before it builds up to the point it makes your water changes less effective.

very cool. That makes me feel better, Kilral. Another member is actually hooking me up with an Eshopp's HOB, nearly brand new with everything, rated for 75 gal. I'm picking it up this Saturday. I'm pumped.

OceanDeep85;980519 wrote: very cool. That makes me feel better, Kilral. Another member is actually hooking me up with an Eshopp's HOB, nearly brand new with everything, rated for 75 gal. I'm picking it up this Saturday. I'm pumped.

Glad to hear bro, skimmer is the single most important piece of equipment in my opinion. When u start getting nasty skimmate on a daily basis you'll understand why :yes: Every 3 days I pull something equivalent to like a pile of dog poo, its insanity.

kilralpine;980520 wrote: Glad to hear bro, skimmer is the single most important piece of equipment in my opinion. When u start getting nasty skimmate on a daily basis you'll understand why :yes: Every 3 days I pull something equivalent to like a pile of dog poo, its insanity.

seriously? whoa.. I only have the 10 gallon, but by this time next year, I hope/plan to be deep into a 40 gallon breeder mixed-reef. I thought it might be worth the investment since I'll have to get one at some point anyway.

I'm sure I could probably make it fine with more strict water changes, but I'm interested to see the impact it has. I've pretty much figured I can expect to be shocked and horrified by the sludge it collects.

Back