Fun with the PAR meter - T5, Metal Halide and PC numbers

U think that i should hold off on the ballast and put the ushio 10k in before buying a ballast?

Chris - Definitely try the Ushio 10K first. Is your ballast electronic or magnetic?

Hey Sam,

I'd like to have you check out the lighting on my tank some time.

I'm about 5 minutes from your shop. Maybe you could drop by and check it when you want to return the Phish, Moe and Leftover Salmon CDs.

Just let me know.

I'ld love to have Sammy come check out my PAR on my tank but I'm in Buckhead, prolly too far.....oh well.

http://www.myfishtanks.com/images/1/par_test/24_2904.JPG" alt="" />
[IMG]http://www.myfishtanks.com/images/1/par_test/24_2914.JPG" alt="" />

24g Nano Cube with a 250w HQI Sunpod. No glass cover, Ushio 20k lamp 3 weeks old. Bulb 4" above water.

My point and shoot camera is unable to capture natural looking pictures under the Ushio 20k so I included some pictures of the tank under the Sunpod stock 14k below. The color is very similar to the eye.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/89498=5640-24_2773.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg>
89498=5640-24_2773.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="24_2773.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
89498=5641-24_2775.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
89498=5641-24_2775.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="24_2775.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

That is a great looking tank and good job on putting together the PAR pics. :yes:

Thank you for sharing your PAR measurements. This thread could really grow if we can get more results posts. Awesome AJ!

<span style="color: black;">For those of you that have used the ARC PAR meter recently, Sam and I came to the conclusion that the PAR meter is only reading at approximately 56%:wow2: of the actual value. It appears that it is time for the meter to be recalibrated. You should be able to calculate the true results with a little math. I actually used the first equation on the link below to get some quick results.</span>
<span style="color: black;">http://www.gomath.com/exercises/percentage.php"><span style="color: #800080;">http://www.gomath.com/exercises/percentage.php</span></a></span>

<span style="color: black;">Please Note: The percentage that we came up with is an approximate value. Make adjustments at your discretion. I recommend requesting the PAR meter again, after it returns from being calibrated or use another PAR meter before you make any drastic changes to your system</span>

<span style="color: black;">Now I'm off to move some corals around that I should not have moved.:eek: </span>

Showtime305;89502 wrote: <span style="color: black;">For those of you that have used the ARC PAR meter recently, Sam and I came to the conclusion that the PAR meter is only reading at approximately 56%:wow2: of the actual value..</span><span style="color: black;">.:eek: </span>

That sucks! I was so dissapointed with my results and now this makes much more sense!

Sammy, let me know when you are ready to take a hike over here to test my system!

par-125-reese.jpg
alt="" />

Tracey's 125g - 22" deep with 3x400 watt mogul base XM 20K bulbs (8mos old) with magnetic ballast, wing style reflectors about 8" off the water. 80w 60" actinic + T5 (no reflector).

Thanks Sam for coming over to today and checking my par. I was a little concerned I had too much light on a 125G.

grimreefer;97569 wrote: Thanks Sam for coming over to today and checking my par. I was a little concerned I had too much light on a 125G.

Nah...your PAR is great. Most all of your SPS are in the 350-500 PAR range. This is "textbook" PAR for SPS!

I still think your "fish gate" is your coolest reef invention yet. I may need to use it in the near future since it fits a 125g so nicely. ;)

par-90g-victor.jpg
alt="" />

The latest PAR readings were today on Victor's (Victor626nj) 90g reef. This is a 24" tall tank with two Ushio 20k 250w HQI, two Reef Optix reflectors and a dual 250w Galaxy electronic ballast supplemented with two 54w Geissemann Actinc+ with Ice Cap reflectors on a WH5 ballast. The 250 DE's are only 4" above the water!

Victor - add a kalk reactor to this tank and your SPS will probably explode!

The Reef Optix reflectors really punch the light directly underneath. There are a couple spots with some shadows directly under the brace and where the return is in the top center but other wise the light spread is good. I think lowering your T5's will improve your color a bit. If you get tired of your Tang let me know. ;)

sam thanks for coming over if i dont sell this light set up im going to try the ushio 14k and the pheonix on here i cant believe that i got that much par at the top ...oh by the way thats the best pic ive seen of my tank lol you can acctually se the colors and they arent all washed out ....

par-65g-kessler.jpg
alt="" />

Bryan's (kzoo) 65g 24" deep reef with 2x150w HQI Ushio 14K, Coralvue reflectors, electronic ballast and 2x39w T5, TEK Reflector, Advance spec ballast.

Bryan - Nice colors on the corals and plenty of flow in this setup with the Tunze and Seio! I think moving one of your T5's to the front and mounting both T5 reflectors to the lamps will get you the extra blue you are looking for. Consider swapping both T5's for Actinic+ for a little PAR boost.

par-72g-holwell.jpg
alt="" />

Bryan's (wbholwell) 72g Bowfront 22" deep reef with 5x54w T5, TEK reflectors, Actinic+, Aquablue, Midday, Pure Actinic, AquaBlue and 1x39w T5, TEK reflector, Actinic+. All ballasts are Advance spec ballast. Bulbs are about 6" off the water.

Bryan - Great looking setup. This about the same PAR I have in my setup. This is plenty of PAR for most all corals including your SPS toward the top. If you would like a little boost the Ice Cap T5 reflectors will give you approx. 20% more PAR. You have one of the biggest, healthiest looking colonies of Pom Pom Xenia I have ever seen!

Back