Let the games... BEGIN!!

Yeah. I mean, quite honestly, if I can make a move on a good deal and get hooked up, I'm probably going to do it, but it won't be for a little bit. So I'm going to enjoy the hell out of what I have and do my best to perfect it. I'll deal with rehoming and upgrading when the opportunity arises. Most of all, I'm just really happy about, and thankful for, this club.

Update on this morning:

I was in a rush, so, no time to do a water test, I dosed a little Prime just to be safe.. but couldn't help noticing my water is absolutely crystal. Before I messed with the LR, I could see a visual deterioration in water quality. This morning, the water is crystal.. not cloudy at all. Damsels seem to still be fine and happy too.

That sounds like a good start, things can still go wrong with crystal clear water tho so don't always use it as a rule of thumb. Take your time putting together the equipment, rushing costs more and anything in this hobby that does well takes a lot of time. Deals come along every other day.

For instance:
$300
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92414">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92414</a>

^ just about ready for coral aside from like pumps and a heater, even includes lighting; something similar to what i started with

Awesome. Thanks Kilral- yeah, I'm hoping that what I'm seeing is not a rare occurrence of lots of good deals available. I'm hoping I won't need to jump on anything until the time is right for me.

Slower the better, at least that is what philosophy i TRY to keep myself held to. :lol2: Good Luck, its as addictive as crack!

You're not lying... seriously. I actually had to force myself to take a time-out and spend time with the lady, cook her a nice dinner, all of that.. I was devoting so much time and interest to it I was starting to neglect her. hahaha

I've skimmed through this thread - and you have gotten some really neat advice and some passionate answers. Welcome to a fun and amazing hobby!

I want to start by telling you that you have some really beautiful pieces of rock, and you can do all sorts of things with them. Great choice!

Keep at it. ENJOY the learning process! Keep it FUN! Keep doing what you are doing, which is ASKING QUESTIONS and it seems like you are listening to advice being offered. That's excellent!

...and maybe one day, I'll have to tell you how badly I screwed up when I came into this hobby. Today, I have a thriving 75 bowfront frag tank and 150 reef tank setup, and there's an amazing system backing it all. (I kinda went "all in" on this!)

I love seeing you getting started, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Brick Fish House;969168 wrote: ...and maybe one day, I'll have to tell you how badly I screwed up when I came into this hobby.

LOL. I think most of us screwed up in the beginning...

Well, the good news is, I'm reaching close to .25 ppm nitrite and my ammonia is hovering around 4ppm with no real substantial nitrate readings. I'm still dosing prime, but less now and adding a capful a day of Seachem Stability.

Will keep you posted.

Hope all's well, reefers.

Brick!!! Thanks so much, by the way- sorry I didn't acknowledge you earlier. I really appreciate it! I'll definitely keep everyone updated. Thanks!!

OceanDeep85;968892 wrote: haha... ok ok... sorry. I've been pretty neglectful of the lady lately so I was making her a nice dinner and cleaning and stuff like a good boy before she gets home. Call me whipped, I don't care. She's hot and puts up with me.

What exactly do people want pics of? I mean, I'll take 'em, no problem, but what do you want to see? haha

The hot lady:shades::up:

Can't believe I missed this thread so far lol! Welcome to the hobby!

You will find that if you're just patient for a couple of months there will ALWAYS be good deals popping up in the sale forums. Given the size tank that you're looking to move to you can always post in the WTB as well. I'd bet there's a bunch of people with 30-55gal tanks just sitting around. They'd probably let them go pretty cheap.

As others have said we all make mistakes at some point. I poked the tip of some live rock that had an aptasia on it into boiling water in my first month or two without realizing the risks. And I will also say that moving from a 29gal biocube to a 60 cube the 60 is so much easier to take care of. Consider moving up to a 55gal with a sump when you upgrade. The extra water volume is worth it.

Also, as you've discovered this hobby is stupidly addicting. Take it slow. Some people burn out very quickly because they take on too much and try to do everything too fast. They'll buy boat loads of equipment and 6 months to a year later they're selling it all.

Good luck!

Update- two days using stability. Several days using prime. Ammonia still through the roof. Very low nitrites, very very low nitrates. Constantly running oxygen through my powerhead... Frogspawn is dead. Super bummed.

Cycling. Sucks.

Sorry to hear about your frogspawn. How often do you do water changes....? And don't you have some GSP?

yeah, I'm pretty upset about it honestly. I really loved that piece. I do have some GSP. It's really just a purple mat. It looks healthy enough but hasn't opened since the first night I brought it home. It's not deteriorating at all, but is staying closed... :(

I do water changes every other day since the spike and it just doesn't seem to want to come down.

Well, scratch that.. it IS coming down.. just VERY slowly. It's only been two days using the Seachem Stability. Finally got fed up and dumped the whole bottle in so, hopefully things will be progressing a little more quickly by tomorrow afternoon

GSP can be very hardy when I got m first frag it didn't open until I had it for about 8 days. And plus you kinda had a spike in everything.... But hopefully it lives.

Thanks, JC K. I'm hoping that's the case. It's been a few days. Right now there's some brown algea stuff seeming to grow on it. Kinda looks like diatoms but my Nitrates are way too low for that.

I think diatoms actually feed off of silicates. If seems that they usually just run out of food and go away, usually. It's a new tank think. To be expected

Back