Let the games... BEGIN!!

Yeah, Josh- but should I expect them during such a heavy ammonia time? My nitrites are almost 0 and my nitrates are very low as well. Ammonia is out of this world.

I don't think it really matters what's going on with the nitrogen cycle, if your fish are able to live in the water, so are diatoms. They won't last after the food supply runs out. I'm pretty sure they just eat silicates that are added along with new sand. What kind of sand did you use?

Oh and tap water has silicates too I believe. I may need to brush up in diatoms, but I'm pretty sure it's not a nitrate issue.

I added the Caribsea Bahama Oolite. The first few days are unbelievably miserable with cloudiness and floating debris, but when it settles it's soo worth it.

Yeah, I don't know, man. I'm getting really frustrated. I mean.. Can too much ammonia keep the cycle from kicking back in? I'm dosing Prime, Stability, Oxygen, I've cut WAY back on feeding... I'm stumped. Is it possible for a cycle to just NOT start? I had one before... Ugh.

That's the same sand I have in my tank. Cool colors. Going seafloor special grade in the new build.

Your tank will cycle if ammonia is present, but it won't get to the point where the ammonia levels stay undetectable in a few days. Just gotta wait it out. Test every few days. Your kit could be bad, API kits aren't the greatest. Once ammonia hits 0 (and you get a light), you're good to add stuff.

A goby/pistol shrimp pair would be cool, that's what I'd do with a 10g nano

Yeah, Josh, I just want to let everything in there balance out and mature for a bit until I can see you about upgrading. I'm just going to let things get settled and keep my water parameters healthy and stable. The 10 gallon's going to be turned into a sump or a coral only setup... Eventually.

Offer stands you can borrow my dual t5 and use it over the 10g as long as you need. I kind of like what Seth had to say. You just need like an oversized HOB filter full of matrix or something like that. I really don't see the biocubes going anywhere, I have 3, and if I sold two then I could hold on to the one all of my stuff is in now even after I move into the new tank.

The nitrogen cycle will work itself out. Then all you need is the light and maybe some filtration which is simple enough, I know I have filters laying around too lol. My first tank was 8g and it was totally stable And had the most rapid coralline algae growth I've ever seen. So it's not impossible by any means. Really just boils down to 3 simple things

1. Water quality
2. Light
3. Flow

OceanDeep85;969729 wrote: Also- what kind of test kit would you some of the more experienced reefers recommend?

Seachem, Red Sea, ELOS, salifert

I have some plans in the works to build my own filter and skimmer (I like to design and build things). It would be a PVC constructed filter with 5 separate chambers powered by a standard powerhead. Waterflow would be taken in and first run through a tube of filter floss, then a tube of bio balls/stars/etc, then a tune of carbon, then a tube of bio balls, then a tube of phosphate media, then back into the tank.

I also have some plans for a really great DIY skimmer.

Cool, but bioballs are useless IMO. opt for seachem matrix, which does the same thing except actually works.

A good idea would to get a aquaclear filter and make it into a small refugium with some macro algae.

JC_k;969743 wrote: A good idea would to get a aquaclear filter and make it into a small refugium with some macro algae.

Or just fill it up with matrix, which does the same thing as macro, except actually works.

Oh, I was referring to the different options for biological filtration.. Sometimes they are cubes, sometimes stars, sometimes odd shaped media.. Mostly little plastic pieces for BB to grow on. I'm looking for good flow and maximum mechanical and biological filtration (aren't we all?). I think I know what you're referring to, though.

Seachem, by the way, is virtually the only company in this industry whose products actually work.

Well, I'm also playing with the idea of making like a micro-sump. The chambers on my filtration system will be 5, foot long sections of PVC pipe connected by ball valves. I was toying with the idea of also making an additional chamber out of 6" pvc pipe as a micro-sump where I could put an airstone, my heater and maybe a submersible UV eventually..

JDavid;969744 wrote: Or just fill it up with matrix, which does the same thing as macro, except actually works.

Yeah... That to lol.

OceanDeep85;969745 wrote: Oh, I was referring to the different options for biological filtration.. Sometimes they are cubes, sometimes stars, sometimes odd shaped media.. Mostly little plastic pieces for BB to grow on. I'm looking for good flow and maximum mechanical and biological filtration (aren't we all?). I think I know what you're referring to, though.

<span style="font-size: 17px">MATRIX</span>
matrix1L.jpg
alt="" />

Back