Let the games... BEGIN!!

Yes Jacob most adults do not participate in spelling bee's. That's more of a K-12 thing lol

haha...

Matrix. I bow to you, sir Josh. SO.. maybe one chamber for bio balls or the fluval bio material and one chamber for Seachem Matrix. Surprised it's so cheap. I honestly thought before when I saw that product that it was just fancy substrate... haha.

Maybe when I get the materials together and start assembling, I'll start a thread for the build. For now, I want to get through the cycle first.. not sure adding a massive new filtration system to a 10 gallon would help it cycle any better.. I mean, we're talking about adding at least a few more gallons to the system just in the filtration alone and having the water column move through a foot long cylinder of mechanical filter media, two chambers of bio filter media, a foot long chamber of carbon and a foot long chamber of phosphate material.. and that's all aside from a skimmer I really want to build.. or buy..

I'm hoping that I can get enough flow out of the return pipes on this new filter build that I can do away with my in-tank powerhead and free up some space. We'll see.

JC K. Take your time. I'm 29. It got here quickly.

Sore subject? I'm just teasing bud. FWIW I still think your an aquarium prodigy

what do you guys think of the Micro-sump idea as the first chamber in the system? I was thinking a 6" piece of PVC, about a foot tall, and putting an airstone in the bottom, my heater and hopefully one day, a submersible UV before it goes through the mechanical chamber and so on..

OceanDeep85;969759 wrote: haha...

Matrix. I bow to you, sir Josh. SO.. maybe one chamber for bio balls or the fluval bio material and one chamber for Seachem Matrix. Surprised it's so cheap. I honestly thought before when I saw that product that it was just fancy substrate... haha.

Maybe when I get the materials together and start assembling, I'll start a thread for the build. For now, I want to get through the cycle first.. not sure adding a massive new filtration system to a 10 gallon would help it cycle any better.. I mean, we're talking about adding at least a few more gallons to the system just in the filtration alone and having the water column move through a foot long cylinder of mechanical filter media, two chambers of bio filter media, a foot long chamber of carbon and a foot long chamber of phosphate material.. and that's all aside from a skimmer I really want to build.. or buy..

I'm hoping that I can get enough flow out of the return pipes on this new filter build that I can do away with my in-tank powerhead and free up some space. We'll see.

JC K. Take your time. I'm 29. It got here quickly.

It would help you cycle faster. It's media for bio filter to grow on. Specifically denitrifying bacteria. Which is sort of the whole point of the initial cycle. You introduce ammonia so that the bacteria will grow. Once the bacteria is well established, it can handle the normal amount of ammonia that is regularly introducing, converting it into nitrite at a rate that (ideally) keeps the ammonia at an undetectable level. Other bacteria converts the nitrite into nitrate, then something magical that I don't quite understand happens and the nitrate turns into nitrogen and escapes the tank in a gaseous form. Or you just do water changes and remove nitrate that way. Either way, matrix gives that bacteria a place to thrive.

SIR.

OceanDeep85;969761 wrote: what do you guys think of the Micro-sump idea as the first chamber in the system? I was thinking a 6" piece of PVC, about a foot tall, and putting an airstone in the bottom, my heater and hopefully one day, a submersible UV before it goes through the mechanical chamber and so on..

I think you should use a large HOB filter and call it a day.

hmm.

Maybe I need to get started on the build then..

I mean.. I'm kind of a nerd, so I did all of the calculations and it'd essentially add 3 more total gallons to the water column and dependent upon the powerhead I use, I could be running the total volume through the new filtration system many times an hour.. all of it moving through a variety of methods to clean the water.

JDavid;969764 wrote: I think you should use a large HOB filter and call it a day.

You're probably right. Would certainly be less expensive and time consuming.. but I honestly like the idea of figuring out and building my own filtration system.

I'm not saying it won't work I'm just saying it would be way easier to get like a 400 gph hang on filter and cycle your tank volume through it 40 times an hour

I say that you get a 20gallon long drill the 10gallon and use the 29g for a sump............... J/k. That little PVC sump thing you were talking about saounds like a good idea for a small tank but a hob filter would be easier.

I have a 90gallon corner I can sell you for reallll cheap......................LOL.... I doubt you would want it though.......

What you're talking about building are called reactors. Many of us have them, they look like this. Same concept, you can put matrix, carbon, whatever in them. I usually stuff the top with filter floss as well.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosban-reactor-150-1.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosban-reactor-150-1.html</a>

Basically a powerhead runs water through the chamber and returns it back to the tank. Same concept.

Build your reactors, do it

JC_k;969771 wrote: I say that you get a 20gallon long drill the 10gallon and use the 29g for a sump............... J/k. That little PVC sump thing you were talking about saounds like a good idea for a small tank but a hob filter would be easier.

absolutely. You're both 110% right.. but I enjoy the process of designing and creating. I think with a pretty cheap 400gph powerhead and some pvc and filter media, I could have an incredible filter system that I designed myself.

..of course, if it fails.. I'll give you both the satisfaction of an "I told you so" and go with the HOB and matrix... :yes:

Yeah, Josh. I guess what I'm really talking about is a chain of PVC, DIY reactors. I've been working on it for a while and I've honestly even gotten down to using some of CALtech's programs to calculate flow and everything.

I'm reinventing the wheel.. but it's my friggin' wheel.. knamean!?

haha

Back