Newbie setup - 29 gal Biocube and 90 gallon bowfront

Yep. He cannot even get himself off the bottom of the tank now. Short of a miracle he is toast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Is it normal for fish to half swim/ half drift around a tank at the lfs?

For future fish buying advice - I only buy fish that the store has had for a while (over 10 days) and that looks completely healthy and is eating. If all of the above checks out, we are good to go.

If you are thinking about any fish, have the store feed them. A fish's appetite is a huge tell into how healthy they are.

Now that he is dead, is there a way to tell what actually killed him? As I am now fishless, I would like to know before buying more fish. I gotta keep the inverts fed in the meantime.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

SaltWaterWannabe;1068821 wrote: Now that he is dead, is there a way to tell what actually killed him?

nope. could be many different things. If I were you and in the market for fish, I would carefully observe the fish at the lfs. ask the people to feed the fish food. if the fish doesn't eat, I would not consider it, QT the fish at home with prazipro and other meds

I guess I will toss a couple damsels in for a test. At some point they would need to go since I do not really want them long term

SaltWaterWannabe;1068872 wrote: I guess I will toss a couple damsels in for a test. At some point they would need to go since I do not really want them long term

damsels are ok, I think chromis is better. they are nicer than damsel and rather hardy.

I forgot about chromis. That is what i will do then. I just cannot afford disposable 30 dollar fish

Should i replace the water, biomedia, etc.... in the hospital tank before using it as a qt?

just so that you know, hospital tank is the same as the quarantine tank (QT).

i would give everything a good vinegar scrub to get whatever nasty bacteria not visible to the eye. let everything dry out. restart your QT tank/hospital tank with some media from your existing tank in order to seed the QT tank with the beneficial bacteria. after that, you can add fish to the QT tank. i would QT the fish for at least 2-3 weeks under hyposalinity. also, load the fish food with vitamin and meds like prazipro.

I have been waiting a bit to see what happens in my main and qt tanks. I am waiting to see how my tanks run for a bit before picking up more fish. I have a couple of questions if anyone has time:

1) I scrubbed and flushed out my qt tank with vinegar water, let it dry, then reset it up. It has been running with only 1.025 water - no bio, no fish, etc.. . I noticed a few small white ball looking pieces sort of rolling around on the bottom of the tank, maybe a bit more than 1/8" in diameter. At first, I stuck my net in to scoop them out with some success, but some of them broke apart and recollected again in a few days. I finally siphoned them out. Any idea what they might have been?

2) I have been reading a good bit about ich and stress. In the event my fish were stressed and picked up ich, would it be possible that leaving my shrimp, coral, and snails by themselves in the tank along with the rock and bio filter for more than 72 days would allow any ich to die off?

My last fish in the main tank died on january 21. How long should i wait to be sure any trophonts, etc.... have died?

SaltWaterWannabe;1070423 wrote: My last fish in the main tank died on january 21. How long should i wait to be sure any trophonts, etc.... have died?

28 plus 2 days?http://www.cdmas.org/articles/article-library/salt-water/animal-husbandry/disease-and-treatment/item/126-cryptocaryon-irritans.html">http://www.cdmas.org/articles/article-library/salt-water/animal-husbandry/disease-and-treatment/item/126-cryptocaryon-irritans.html</a>

SaltWaterWannabe;1070424 wrote: 28 plus 2 days?http://www.cdmas.org/articles/article-library/salt-water/animal-husbandry/disease-and-treatment/item/126-cryptocaryon-irritans.html">http://www.cdmas.org/articles/article-library/salt-water/animal-husbandry/disease-and-treatment/item/126-cryptocaryon-irritans.html</a>

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I found a decent article, one of many. 28 days minimum...preferably 6 weeks to ensure there is not a different species living in the tank.

I am in the market for a new ph meter after dropping mine in the tank....it was not waterproof and only had one set point. I would prefer to only buy onemore until I am far enough along for an apex or something similar but do not want to be wasteful by picking up a top of the line model. Any recomendations for a decent ph meter?

I will also be picking up a refractometer, but those look pretty straight forward. If not, please chime in here as well.

SaltWaterWannabe;1071692 wrote: I am in the market for a new ph meter after dropping mine in the tank....it was not waterproof and only had one set point. I would prefer to only buy onemore until I am far enough along for an apex or something similar but do not want to be wasteful by picking up a top of the line model. Any recomendations for a decent ph meter?

I will also be picking up a refractometer, but those look pretty straight forward. If not, please chime in here as well.

And a tds meter. Are the combo meters any good?

Ive been told many times that a meter is more accurate than a test kit. I also have a hard time reading the ph test kit i have.

Back