Shallow reef to scale 1st look

Thanks folks.
Now I'm waiting on the cycle. I have a fair bit of matrix in the sump so I'm hoping it will colonize quickly. I hopefully stated it by dosing a med dose of acro power.
I hope to achieve a cycle, but not an "over cycle". Guess I'll see how it pans out this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is, but it will decompose like anything else. Everything you put in eventually winds up as waste in some way or another

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great man! Can't wait to see this come together. What are your plans for corals? I know you were an sps man in the past.

SnowManSnow;1033997 wrote: Lights!!! Mounted! No lamps haha... But lights are mounted. Room on the rail for LED cans if I wanted to add later
4e575586fbaf56b6ee96ad223c2f3cf0.jpg
alt="" />

67603c650dcc9c47bc7d534398a0f1f6.jpg
alt="" />

811d3ef6a657d87f68650e3e137f1cb4.jpg
alt="" />

I'm tossing around the idea of placing an LED of some sort between these 2 pendants on the rail for supplemental lighting.

I don't need anything expensive that is meant for main lighting, but Id like to to find something w a lot of spread (I know it will mostly light the middle ) that won't break the bank...

ideas?

I am using a marineland "hidden" led module in conjunction with a halide. It adds just enough light to give a bluer appearance. It just clips onto the top trim. I have been very happy with it thus far.

Yeah, I know you have a rimless tank. The point is, however, that it may not take as much supplemental light as you think.

well, its been nearly 2 weeks with water in the tank. 5 days with a small fish in there (whom I've been feeding). I would think diatoms should pop soon, but no sign so far.

I'm hoping the addition of matrix from the start may help the tank cycle easier.

SnowManSnow;1034760 wrote: I'm tossing around the idea of placing an LED of some sort between these 2 pendants on the rail for supplemental lighting.

I don't need anything expensive that is meant for main lighting, but Id like to to find something w a lot of spread (I know it will mostly light the middle ) that won't break the bank...

ideas?

Reefbrite Actinic LEDs or Current USA Orbit Marine Leds might work well if all you are looking for is some actinic pop. Kessils with wide angle lens would be awesome as well, but they are a little more $$$.

Did you decide on getting the Full Apex? You could control Kessil, AI, Acan, Radion, and other LEDs using the Apex.

ghbrewer;1035063 wrote: Reefbrite Actinic LEDs or Current USA Orbit Marine Leds might work well if all you are looking for is some actinic pop. Kessils with wide angle lens would be awesome as well, but they are a little more $$$.

Did you decide on getting the Full Apex? You could control Kessil, AI, Acan, Radion, and other LEDs using the Apex.

I'll get the apex as $ permits. It's soo easy to blow thousands on a tank right off the bat haha.

I'm going to need an osmolator first to help with stability.

As far as lights go.. Ive got all i need to grow the crap out of anything I put in there... but as you know lights are fun to tinker with. I've been toying with putting 2 360we w goosenecks on the sides out of the way of halides... but i can't find anything .. even USED for what I'm willing to pay.

so... to help my stability (which I feel is the most important aspect of long term success)

in order of importance IMO
1- osmolator
2- controller
3- supplemental lights

All this .. and no corals yet bwhaha

PS.. I wonder if a tune assimilator nano would work on this size tank...

SnowManSnow;1035068 wrote:

PS.. I wonder if a tune assimilator nano would work on this size tank...

As much evaporation as you are going to have on that tank, I'd say no way.

Declanisadog;1035075 wrote: As much evaporation as you are going to have on that tank, I'd say no way.

I believe the only difference is the nano version just does not have the electronic eye.

From advanced aquarist:

CalmSeasQuest (Tom) • 3 years ago
It's odd that Tunze would reason that Nano tanks don't need an ATO fail-safe - and why a mechanical float instead of the sensor which is smaller and would seem to be more reliable. In my mind, ATO is even more critical on smaller tanks as the impact of a stuck top off pump would cause negative impact faster than on a larger tank. Perhaps the pump is lower output and has run-time and frequency limits as a fail-safe? Even then, anyone dosing Kalk in ATO might still have an issue with a stuck float.

TunzeUSA CalmSeasQuest (Tom) • 3 years ago
Tom- you are correct that an ATO is all the more critical with smaller tanks. This is something we were very conscious of while designing and testing the Nano Osmolator. This unit does indeed have a shorter run-time safety shut off. (This kicks in after five minutes as opposed to the ten minutes of the full sized Osmolator.) It also powers the pump at half the flow rate of the larger unit. And the float switch, with wave guard, has in our testing proven to be extremely accurate and reliable. We're confident that the Nano Osmolator will become a very popular choice for aquariums in the 55 gallon range and under.

I also had a conversation with another member recently about this exact subject, and he says after having issues with his, he contacted Tunze and they said they wouldn't recommend a nano on anything larger than a 25gallon. FWIW I use a nano on my 30gallon, and on my 65gallon. I bought the one for the 65 new two months ago, and it has failed me twice already. I think once the pump does the auto shutoff, it doesn't come back on until you reset it.

I also have had a piece of plastic get stuck in the float switch, but that was my fault...

Back