Shallow reef to scale 1st look

All originals doing good. Most have at least grown over the glue onto the plug by now.
Parameters are good I guess;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrandonMason;1042584 wrote: Pics or didn't happen

sure it did haha:)

In my mind I'm thinking ... "wow this is going to get crowded in a few years"

Wish you didn't buy everything instantly! I've got an Avast Kalk Stirrer that would've been a deal for you!

When I started with SPS I felt the same way about MH. Just try to keep the watts down so you don't need a chiller. I've got the Radion with wide optics in center and 175 W Phoenix on the sides of a 4'. The MH carry over pretty much to center but Radion not so much. It's perfect for my DT with most my SPS on the back sides. With your overflow, you wouldn't be limited to such.

How are your SPS doing BTW?

This isn't my first sps tank

I'm running LEDs right now:) have been .
Ocean revive . I hope the success w these continues

Corals are all doing really great so far.

man my sps all went to "sad looking" in 3-5 days. im still messing with lights and nutrient levels and observing tell-tale signs.

this is my first attempt at sps though.

lps and softies are responding as i remembered. i still think that new tank stuff is crap. ive kept my alveopora during the tail end of my cycle.

Russ-IV;1042754 wrote: man my sps all went to "sad looking" in 3-5 days. im still messing with lights and nutrient levels and observing tell-tale signs.

this is my first attempt at sps though.

lps and softies are responding as i remembered. i still think that new tank stuff is crap. ive kept my alveopora during the tail end of my cycle.

hey russ I'm no expert but id be happy to help any way I can.
keep in mind that constantly trying to fix things normally ends up crashing your system.
IMO the best thing you can do to get an spa tank started good is to get the parameters set and let it be. Keep things stabile. Don't get caught up in all the commercial hype.. everyone has something to sale to dictate this or that... start with the essentials and add things only if you know exactly what its for.

I can say that I'm surprised that my LED lights seem to have worked so far, especially given that I only paid $130 per fixture!

I'm glad I found this thread...

Welcome to the shallow family... ;-) We reach down to the bottom of our tanks easier over here, and don't get our shirts soaked every time a frag falls to the sandbed...

My story is a bit similar to yours. I recall your tank crashed and you took some time off. My tank was a more literal crash - as in I busted a seam in my rimless 120, saved all the inhabitants, and managed to find a temporary 60 frag tank the next day... Fast fwd 1.5 years and this tank is no longer temporary... I went BB and kept all my 120 equipment, but I suspended my canopy from the ceiling via a custom loctite hanging kit. I then suspended the LEDs inside the canopy to keep it visually clean.... So now my tanks are plug and play so long as I maintain the 4x2 footprint... So anything from 60 frag to 150 tall would work on the stand.

I couldn't tell from the pics but are you an 80 or 60 rimless? Only thing I would say is with you going SPS and being shallow that I would have started out BB because it affords you the luxury of really cranking up the flow.. I think the flow is important because you usually don't get the same turnovers on the shallows than the standard 120's because the overflow and returns aren't usually as big... you can always add sand later if that is the look you prefer... I have my bottom painted a tarheel blue but that eventually gets covered with coral and coraline eventually anyway...

I'm interested in the LEDs you picked up. I'm already using a hodge podge collection of eshine and black box LEDs, but I want to upgrade to dimmable fixtures, and i like the layout and price of the ORs.. Any reason you went with your model rather than the slightly more expensive model with the remote?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1042793=62819-20150626_213803[1].jpg
>
1042793=62819-20150626_213803[1].jpg
class="gc-images" title="20150626_213803[1].jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1042793=62818-20150714_143549[1].jpg
>
1042793=62818-20150714_143549[1].jpg
class="gc-images" title="20150714_143549[1].jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Kirkwood;1042793 wrote: I'm glad I found this thread...

Welcome to the shallow family... ;-) We reach down to the bottom of our tanks easier over here, and don't get our shirts soaked every time a frag falls to the sandbed...

My story is a bit similar to yours. I recall your tank crashed and you took some time off. My tank was a more literal crash - as in I busted a seam in my rimless 120, saved all the inhabitants, and managed to find a temporary 60 frag tank the next day... Fast fwd 1.5 years and this tank is no longer temporary... I went BB and kept all my 120 equipment, but I suspended my canopy from the ceiling via a custom loctite hanging kit. I then suspended the LEDs inside the canopy to keep it visually clean.... So now my tanks are plug and play so long as I maintain the 4x2 footprint... So anything from 60 frag to 150 tall would work on the stand.

I couldn't tell from the pics but are you an 80 or 60 rimless? Only thing I would say is with you going SPS and being shallow that I would have started out BB because it affords you the luxury of really cranking up the flow.. I think the flow is important because you usually don't get the same turnovers on the shallows than the standard 120's because the overflow and returns aren't usually as big... you can always add sand later if that is the look you prefer... I have my bottom painted a tarheel blue but that eventually gets covered with coral and coraline eventually anyway...

I'm interested in the LEDs you picked up. I'm already using a hodge podge collection of eshine and black box LEDs, but I want to upgrade to dimmable fixtures, and i like the layout and price of the ORs.. Any reason you went with your model rather than the slightly more expensive model with the remote?

the one i have is with the remote. maybe I said I had the wrong thing haha.

sorry to hear your tank exploded!
mine is a 80g from Deep Blue :) I like it so far.

I'm running one of those big Gyres and feel like it is enough flow so far:) i DOES blow the sand off of the far end of the tank though... youre right there. i have the sand bed in there for some more biological filtration and buffering because I have so little live rock in the system.

B

Tagging along.. I also have a deep blue 80 rimless and love it. I'm not into sps yet though (except for a little birdsnest), so I'm trying to learn.

As an update things are going great. No problems yet. Sps are doing really good and showing growth.
I'm going to add 2 250w halides that will come on 2 hr a day... Not sure how yet..but I have an idea;)

d718eebec0b2a0cefcd02a01ea4f57b4.jpg
alt="" />

I'm exited about this one in particular. It has long purple growth tips and bright green polyps.... Cool

Here's a Red a dragon that has been in a few weeks now

05785b075457fe181dc6b0a80efeefb1.jpg
alt="" />

The white in the middle is from a frag.

Here's a few milli babies

269e55b686acfafc22a925a55e45cc0f.jpg
alt="" />

Birds nest w strong growth points

d04162bde46b18e60522b6c03d6314ae.jpg
alt="" />

Here's my hanging system. I just build as I need;)
I think I'll come OUT in front.... Then angle the halides toward the tank....

cb90795b8831c33dd1a6b28321c32b3a.jpg
alt="" />

Here's a LEF FTs;) didn't wanna turn. Down blues... Sorry
0b7a152aece4e38c6ac0f758684906fa.jpg
alt="" />

One more

74e2054dafe155e45f9abec1271b5b7f.jpg
alt="" />

All I need is a leather love seat and a recliner now to replace my giant chair

Btw I'm looking for either 2 or a dual ballast for 250w:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's my state of the art drawing. These lengths will be plenty strong. They will be made w angle

401daba669470433c049dc30a98d7276.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reeferman;1044342 wrote: or are you just a hopeless tinkerer?lol
remember,if you keep changing your lights,the acros will never get used to the led alone

I only have 4 "colors"
Over the tank w the ocean revive fixtures. :/ LEDs (as you know) are exactly the spectrum they claim to be, and I just feel like corals need a wider array .

Help me out here... Where am I right and where am I wrong?

Good quality LEDs are all your corals need.my acros are proof to that.that misconception got squashed a long time ago except on ARC for some reason,must be something in Atlantas water lol.

Back