Vics CD 180G Peninsula

That is good to know, but I didn’t see any signs of uronema. Else I would have treated it. I pretreated my anthias because I know they are prone to it but didn’t think to treat the angels and clown. Ugh. I swear, this hobby.

I am finding on more than one occasion lately that what I have been doing for the last 8-9 years is either wrong or inadequate. Reefing has taught me a lot. I just wish the lessons could be a little bit less harsh sometimes.

I am finding on more than one occasion lately that what I have been doing for the last 8-9 years is either wrong or inadequate. Reefing has taught me a lot. I just wish the lessons could be a little bit less harsh sometimes.
Yeah, fish disease drives me insane. Its like I don’t want to put all the fish thru all these treatments with no symptoms but if I don’t, I run the risk of losing them or them wiping out my entire livestock.

Yeah, fish disease drives me insane. Its like I don’t want to put all the fish thru all these treatments with no symptoms but if I don’t, I run the risk of losing them or them wiping out my entire livestock.
Yeah, I always followed a defined protocol. If the particular type of fish was intolerant to that protocol I would pass on it. But the possibility that the QT tank itself may be providing the pathogen means that maybe a broad-spectrum antibiotic should be used every time we stress a fish by placing it in a QT tank. Just thinking again. Kinda like catching the flu by going to the hospital for something else.

Yeah, I always followed a defined protocol. If the particular type of fish was intolerant to that protocol I would pass on it. But the possibility that the QT tank itself may be providing the pathogen means that maybe a broad-spectrum antibiotic should be used every time we stress a fish by placing it in a QT tank. Just thinking again. Kinda like catching the flu by going to the hospital for something else.
All my QT are sanitized with vinegar and dried out between use. I think I will get some general cure and start with food soaked in it plus focus to bind it. This should cover my base.

All my QT are sanitized with vinegar and dried out between use. I think I will get some general cure and start with food soaked in it plus focus to bind it. This should cover my base.
Just to be clear for discussion, what I am talking about is not coming from the QT tank or equipment but from the sponges, marine pure blocks, matrix, and other biofilters that come from the display tank that we seed for use as biofilters in QT setups. Pathogens like uronema and vibrio don't require fish to exist. But they can kill fish. They are also an important part of nature's cleanup crew. They exist in our tank even if we quarantine all of our fish. They come in on coral, rock, and even food. In mature tanks, the biodiversity keeps them in check with competition and predation. In an immature tank, like a QT tank, they can dominate the microfauna if introduced without enough countering biodiversity. The protocols I followed always required anti-biotics, like General Cure, to prevent secondary infections after de-worming. So they inherently took care of this potential issue. My suggestion, for discussion, is that we use something like General Cure every time we put a fish in a QT tank even if only for observation.

Wow. So, I was watching my tank last night and saw some big black slug thing crawling across my clam. At first I was about to yank it out and kill it cause I was worried I wouldn't have a chance to catch it if I don't hurry. Then I came to my senses that it's a slug, how fast can it really move. LOL.

So, I googled it and it's an elephant slug. Very cool!! I must have got it off of one of the two clams since that's the only thing that doesn't get dipped.

Wait how did I miss you getting clams? What kind did you get? Where'd you get them?

Pics!
Oh wow, I'm surprised I never put it in this thread. I had got them 6-8 weeks back because it was sad seeing an empty tank.

I ordered a small (~3") ORA squamosa clam from Petco and a blue maxima (~2") from Nemo Duluth, both are doing great. The Squamosa isn't as colorful as I hope, because Petco can't order specific ones, they just order it as an ORA Squamosa Clam and its a luck of the draw. But it's $50 and they are super healthy since it is direct from ORA.

I can show you how to make the entire stand out of plywood if you're interested. It'll open up more room inside and be strong enough to hold Bill's Buick.
Interested in Building a stand for a waterbox 20, would love to hear how you do it!

So, back in Dec/Jan I added a bunch of SPS frags and all seems good for a while. Then about 2 months ago, they all died off simultaneously. No changes to water parameter, so I started pulling equipment out. Sure enough, I found some rusting on my return pump. I fixed this situation and then ran metasorb for 10 days, then bought some more acros to test. It's been 2 weeks and they all seem to be fine and started to encrust. So, good sign there.

I haven't done much for livestock, but 3 weeks ago I did pick up 3 firefish and a golden midas blenny and they have been going through copper. Next week will be 30 days in copper at above 2.0ppm.

I'll wait a bit longer for the SPS that I'm testing to grow out more before dumping more money into that pit. Next for livestock, I'll go with a royal gramma and some wrasses.

Pic of my empty tank as is.

Attachments

• 30DB3929-1E8D-4FE7-A0C7-DCA965FFC8B7.jpeg
    30DB3929-1E8D-4FE7-A0C7-DCA965FFC8B7.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 10FD8164-42F8-4566-B0A2-6FFAA6326C7A.jpeg
    10FD8164-42F8-4566-B0A2-6FFAA6326C7A.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 58
Back